Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

27 May 2018 18:25

cellardoor wrote:Is he planning to ride the Tour to target the TT, dom for Keldermann or have a serious shot at it?

He's not gonna ride it for the ITT alone

I'm pretty sure if he does he wants to have a serious crack at it. The first 8 stages aren't don't require top form anyway.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

27 May 2018 18:26

cellardoor wrote:Is he planning to ride the Tour to target the TT, dom for Keldermann or have a serious shot at it?

He wants to try for GC.
User avatar classicomano

Re: Re:

27 May 2018 18:46

classicomano wrote:

He wants to try for GC.

I doubt he will do anything important in terms of GC there. This Giro was way too hard, and he can't sustain his form for so long, or reach new peak so quickly.
User avatar Blanco

27 May 2018 18:49

Blanco wrote:
classicomano wrote:

He wants to try for GC.

I doubt he will do anything important in terms of GC there. This Giro was way too hard, and he can't sustain his form for so long, or reach new peak so quickly.

They've explicitly said they thought it was possible. Dumoulin was super tired, but his performances weren't really getting worse at the end of the Giro.

He's also explicitly stated he does not want to go to the Tour if he can do nothing there. I doubt he'll go to the Tour just to go for breakaways.

I also think Dumoulin would be a pretty solid lock for the Vuelta podium if he were to go there.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

27 May 2018 18:58

He hasn't said anything yet regarding ambitions for the WC this year, has he?
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

Re:

27 May 2018 19:00

GT ambitions, but he might adjust his plans during the race. He will not start if he doesn't think if he has a shot at the GC.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

27 May 2018 19:03

Stella0596 wrote:
LaFlorecita wrote:
EroicaStradeBianche wrote:
lartiste wrote:for me, there is only one sad issue with TD - he is not updating his twitter since October, before he was really doing well, even during pre-season preparation in Africa, nothing now

PS: shake hands issue - it is fair to do that, when the race is over and emotions calmed. The race is over tomorrow. So, what is the problem?

Check his Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tomdumoulin90/

That's freaking hilarious :lol: 46k followers and 1 picture!

And he's verified! Haha

Most probably you have to be approved to see the content?
User avatar lartiste

27 May 2018 19:18

Red Rick wrote:
Blanco wrote:
classicomano wrote:

He wants to try for GC.

They've explicitly said they thought it was possible. Dumoulin was super tired, but his performances weren't really getting worse at the end of the Giro.

He's also explicitly stated he does not want to go to the Tour if he can do nothing there. I doubt he'll go to the Tour just to go for breakaways.

I also think Dumoulin would be a pretty solid lock for the Vuelta podium if he were to go there.

I'm sure they think it is possible, but I think he'll fade there, we'll see.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

28 May 2018 06:54

[quote="lartiste"]for me, there is only one sad issue with TD - he is not updating his twitter since October, before he was really doing well, even during pre-season preparation in Africa, nothing now

I thought that too til I found this

https://twitter.com/search?q=dumoulin+tom
Ariane

28 May 2018 12:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLcZkrykEtI&feature=youtu.be

Backstage footage of the deciding mountain stages.

Story of Dumoulin's Giro?

Feeling bad and riding well.

"It would be good if, just before I attack, Sam sets a really strong pace, like, 450-500 Watts" :D
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

28 May 2018 14:31

I don't know if it's mostly because how they edited it, but the biggest takeway seemed to be they were super gloom and doom before Finestre.
MuskyOurSaviour

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

28 May 2018 17:49

Wow! That is an awesome video. My takeaways:
1. He seems to have been the only one who expected Froome to do what he did but miscalculated his own abilities a little bit/simply made the wrong decision in the moment re: Reichenbach. Interesting that he seemed certain that Froome is super strong and will attack exactly where he did but did not seem to have any concerns about Yates.

Tom Dumoulin: "If I reach the summit within a half a minute or minute behind well I can close a gap of half a minute in the descent but if it is over a minute behind Froome at the summit it is going to be very hard."

2. I am sure this is true of all of the riders, but, man, he was borderline punch drunk at this point in the race. Definitely exhausted, and you can tell he didn't think he had enough in the tank. "If I magically have the legs," etc. But he rode like a champion through the exhaustion.

Great video. Big fan of Major Tom.
VayaVayaVaya

Re:

28 May 2018 21:11

Kelderman is supposed to only ride the TDF for a stagewin and to prepare for the Vuelta GC, so makes no sence for Dumoulin to ride to be a helper for him. With the Vuelta usually a better preparation for the worlds it pretty much only makes sence for Dumoulin to ride the TDF if he thinks he can win it, and at the same time the plan of Kelderman riding the Tour as preparation for the Vuelta only makes logic sence if he is supposed to be the helper for Dumoulin. So even if they perhaps wont make it a official plan its the only logic plan, though ofcourse its likely it wont work as Giro-TDF doubles rarely does.
MADRAZO

31 May 2018 10:11

I really do wonder what would have happened if Dumo continued to ride when Pinot had his mechanical. Suddenly Lopez and Carapaz would have had an incentive to ride to overtake Pinot in the GC, and would actually have had the strength unlike Reichenbach.
User avatar PremierAndrew

31 May 2018 10:59

Don't bother wondering. The result would have been the same. The podium and the order of it would have been the same. It may change in the future.
topcat

01 Jun 2018 04:02

Even if Dumoulin would have gotten pink than Froome would have finished him on Cervinia. Looked as fresh as a daisy
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

01 Jun 2018 09:08

http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/362533/dumoulin-aanstichter-neutralisatie-laatste-rit-giro-ditalia.html

Lol, so it was Dumoulin who called for a neutralization in the Giro. Where the Froome bashers at :D
User avatar Flamin

01 Jun 2018 09:27

Translation please?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

01 Jun 2018 09:34

Flamin wrote:http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/362533/dumoulin-aanstichter-neutralisatie-laatste-rit-giro-ditalia.html

Lol, so it was Dumoulin who called for a neutralization in the Giro. Where the Froome bashers at :D

I don't think it was only Dumoulin.There were more riders who pushed for it.They sent Froome to talk to the officials.
User avatar DBotero

Re:

01 Jun 2018 09:44

SafeBet wrote:Translation please?

He went to Froome to propose a neutralization because he thought the route was too dangerous and he didn't want to win because of a crash anyways.
User avatar Flamin

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing