Log in:  

Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

01 Jun 2018 10:12

Pff, you disappoint me, Tom.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,999
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re:

01 Jun 2018 23:38

Netserk wrote:Pff, you disappoint me, Tom.


I'm sure Cancellara would have suggested something more extreme. Some of the circuits are just not used with rider safety in mind. But crashes are always part of the sport on any stage. Sometimes it's just better to whine about it after the stage and make it clear to the race organizers and hope for better next time.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,394
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

02 Jun 2018 07:30

Flamin wrote:http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/362533/dumoulin-aanstichter-neutralisatie-laatste-rit-giro-ditalia.html

Lol, so it was Dumoulin who called for a neutralization in the Giro. Where the Froome bashers at :D

Well that's pretty embarrassing for a few posters, given their comments in the race thread for the stage. :o
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,274
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

02 Jun 2018 07:43

Very disappointing decision.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 14,881
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

02 Jun 2018 19:20

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Even if Dumoulin would have gotten pink than Froome would have finished him on Cervinia. Looked as fresh as a daisy



Froome was absurdly strong on Cervinia. That counterattack had "don't make me humiliate you" written all over it. Dumoulin wisely capitulated and was permitted to rejoin the group and ride for Oomen's placing.
Amazinmets87
Junior Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 12 May 2015 04:07

Re: Re:

02 Jun 2018 20:06

movingtarget wrote:
Netserk wrote:Pff, you disappoint me, Tom.


I'm sure Cancellara would have suggested something more extreme.


Only if he or a teammate stood to gain
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,113
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

02 Jun 2018 21:39

To be fair to our resident Froomaphobes, even other riders seem to have thought Sky were the ones calling for neutralization. Bennett - who won the stage and whose team might have been expected to have a significant interest in how it was raced - complained in an interview afterwards that Sky shouldn’t have got their way.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,320
Joined: 18 Aug 2010 13:18

04 Jun 2018 09:01

He starts in the Tour

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/2119506/dumoulin-start-in-tour-de-france

Also says he's way more tired than last year.

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 14,881
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

04 Jun 2018 09:11

More tired.... so.... the obvious question - 'why'?
dusty red roads
Junior Member
 
Posts: 227
Joined: 21 Mar 2015 09:14

Re:

04 Jun 2018 09:34

dusty red roads wrote:More tired.... so.... the obvious question - 'why'?


Sylvan Adams came up with another 2 million Euros? Seems odd- Vuelta &/or just Worlds seems more logical. Maybe he's not so tired but there's a whole bunch of fresh guys at TdF and no long ITT.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,718
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

04 Jun 2018 17:14

You only have so many GTs in your legs as a top level rider. Kind of like elite marathoners. You want to make the most of your chances. But, he's still got a month to recover, so even with the effort in the Giro he should be relatively fresh.
Bolder
Member
 
Posts: 551
Joined: 25 Jun 2015 07:29

Re: Re:

04 Jun 2018 18:38

DFA123 wrote:
Flamin wrote:http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/362533/dumoulin-aanstichter-neutralisatie-laatste-rit-giro-ditalia.html

Lol, so it was Dumoulin who called for a neutralization in the Giro. Where the Froome bashers at :D

Well that's pretty embarrassing for a few posters, given their comments in the race thread for the stage. :o

A lot of people get blinded by hated for Froome..some of the comments on the race thread were uncalled for
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,373
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re:

04 Jun 2018 18:55

MuskyOurSaviour wrote:I don't know if it's mostly because how they edited it, but the biggest takeway seemed to be they were super gloom and doom before Finestre.




thats one of the things i took a way from these videos, Dumoulin knew what was coming from Froome/sky on stage 19

i really like these sort of videos, i know we don't get to see all the ins and outs but it still good
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,373
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re: Re:

04 Jun 2018 19:09

rick james wrote:
DFA123 wrote:
Flamin wrote:http://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/362533/dumoulin-aanstichter-neutralisatie-laatste-rit-giro-ditalia.html

Lol, so it was Dumoulin who called for a neutralization in the Giro. Where the Froome bashers at :D

Well that's pretty embarrassing for a few posters, given their comments in the race thread for the stage. :o

A lot of people get blinded by hated for Froome..some of the comments on the race thread were uncalled for


I was guilty of that, and I regret it
Amazinmets87
Junior Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 12 May 2015 04:07

Re:

04 Jun 2018 23:35

Red Rick wrote:He starts in the Tour

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/2119506/dumoulin-start-in-tour-de-france

Also says he's way more tired than last year.

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Yep, big mistake. He's now a head of state, going for stages, whatever, top-5 or top-10 adds nothing...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,032
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

05 Jun 2018 00:26

I'm not so upset about it. Good test of limits. If it works out, great, if not, then we know.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 23,925
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2018 01:11

Tonton wrote:
Red Rick wrote:He starts in the Tour

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/2119506/dumoulin-start-in-tour-de-france

Also says he's way more tired than last year.

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Yep, big mistake. He's now a head of state, going for stages, whatever, top-5 or top-10 adds nothing...


Not convinced he will finish the race. Odd decision when the Giro/Vuelta is much easier and a good schedule for the Worlds. Why would a GC winner want to stage hunt when he admits he is feeling tired and there is no other rider to support for GC ? If not the Vuelta maybe another late season race.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,394
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2018 11:09

movingtarget wrote:
Tonton wrote:
Red Rick wrote:He starts in the Tour

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/2119506/dumoulin-start-in-tour-de-france

Also says he's way more tired than last year.

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Yep, big mistake. He's now a head of state, going for stages, whatever, top-5 or top-10 adds nothing...


Not convinced he will finish the race. Odd decision when the Giro/Vuelta is much easier and a good schedule for the Worlds. Why would a GC winner want to stage hunt when he admits he is feeling tired and there is no other rider to support for GC ? If not the Vuelta maybe another late season race.


Probably because it's the Tour and the sponsors say so.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,372
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

05 Jun 2018 16:51

King Boonen wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
Tonton wrote:
Red Rick wrote:He starts in the Tour

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/2119506/dumoulin-start-in-tour-de-france

Also says he's way more tired than last year.

This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Yep, big mistake. He's now a head of state, going for stages, whatever, top-5 or top-10 adds nothing...


Not convinced he will finish the race. Odd decision when the Giro/Vuelta is much easier and a good schedule for the Worlds. Why would a GC winner want to stage hunt when he admits he is feeling tired and there is no other rider to support for GC ? If not the Vuelta maybe another late season race.


Probably because it's the Tour and the sponsors say so.


I agree, from the outside Sunweb's decisions seem more ruled by sponsors than other teams
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,113
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

06 Jun 2018 10:53

The team confirms that he'll be starting.

Dumoulin commented: “I am very proud of what we’ve already achieved at the Giro and I consider any result that we can take at the Tour de France a bonus for this season. My season so far has been focused on the Giro and the team purposely waited to the make the decision about the Tour until after the Giro had finished. After a good Giro we’ve chosen to go to the Tour with a GC focus, to learn without a specific result in mind. Doing two consecutive grand tours for a GC will be a new experience for me and the team, and will give us some valuable insights for the future.”
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 612
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kiszol, Sandisfan and 34 guests

Back to top