Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

16 Jun 2018 13:06

So, he will skip the Dutch national time trial championships, since it's held on 27 june, the same date he will finish his current altitude training camp.

Say of it what you want, it seems they are really taking this double GC attempt seriously. Regardless of the non-pressure of a result.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

17 Jun 2018 03:45

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:So, he will skip the Dutch national time trial championships, since it's held on 27 june, the same date he will finish his current altitude training camp.

Say of it what you want, it seems they are really taking this double GC attempt seriously. Regardless of the non-pressure of a result.

Maybe a little rivalry with Froome ?
movingtarget
Veteran

19 Jun 2018 08:46

Very promising interview with Dumoulin in the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

He says he has never felt so fresh 2 weeks after a GT as now and is feeling really good. He is going 100% for the GC, no other option.

He had the double as plan since the winter, but held it as an option as he didn't know for sure what would happen in the Giro.
Even though he is feeling really well he says he can't be disappointed if the Tour turns bad, it's a risk he is prepared to take and it won't take away his Giro result.
Veteran

19 Jun 2018 08:57

Has he ever mentioned if he's targeting the WC road race?
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

Re:

19 Jun 2018 09:10

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Very promising interview with Dumoulin in the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

He says he has never felt so fresh 2 weeks after a GT as now and is feeling really good. He is going 100% for the GC, no other option.

Sounds great. I hope he will feel just as fresh as he was at the Giro... or almost.

Any guesses at how will the Sunweb team look like?

In my opinion Dumoulin, Kelderman, Matthews, Andersen and Geschke seems certain. I'm not so sure about Ten Dam but I guess he will be there too (he seems to be on very good terms with Tom and Sunweb don't really have many climbers to choose from). So that makes it six but what about the last two places? Some guys who can do well in the TTT and on the cobbles as well? My five cents are on Arndt and Teunissen, but I don't really know.
User avatar kiszol

19 Jun 2018 09:16

Yeah that is pretty much their team I think. Think Arndt is also almost certain because of the TTT and his good TT in Suisse.

I think Dumoulin is really well suited for the first 10 days of the Tour compared to other GT riders. But the question is if he's not too tired in week 3 after the Giro. Most Giro/Tour doublers are...
Veteran

Re:

19 Jun 2018 09:53

Yeah, Arndt rode a superb TT in TdS. He wasn't that spectacular in the TTT tough. Did he have some problems? I would still select him, there are not too many great alternatives. Stage 3 and 9 should be two important targets for the team and Arndt can help in both stages. If Kelderman finds his TTT boots Sunweb can be up there with BMC and Sky on Stage 3.

From all the favourites maybe one can say that the first half of the race suits Dumoulin the best. It's not at all unthinkable that he will be in yellow comes the rest day.

As for the third week I have my doubts as well. Can he hold his act together? How good TT can he rode after 2 full GTs?

Let's hope the longer break they have between the two races will help him in limiting the fatigue. He managed that last part of the Giro better than he ever done in a GT. Let's hope he continues to show that he stepped up from last year.
User avatar kiszol

19 Jun 2018 12:29

I think he'll be better in the Tour than the Giro. Including the 3rd week.
kingjr

19 Jun 2018 13:02

It's good to read such a positive interview from him and I don't think he's the type to talk up his chances if he's not feeling great. But I can't help thinking back to Suisse last year where he was terrible following the Giro. Also, he looked very tired in the Hammer series compared to Oomen.
User avatar cellardoor

19 Jun 2018 13:21

that was straight after.

After Hammer series he took 9 days rest.

Last year he basically kept riding/training until suisse
Veteran

19 Jun 2018 13:34

The route looks to be in Dumoulin's favour alright and I think that he could well take yellow into the first rest day provided Sunweb are able to do a decent TTT. Not sure he will be up there on GC after the 3 weeks though, there are too many diminutive climbers in this race who will likely take time off him in week 3 especially as he has the Giro in his legs.
ontheroad

07 Jul 2018 22:43

Good start, possible negates the TTT malus to Sky
Veteran

Re:

08 Jul 2018 03:36

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Good start, possible negates the TTT malus to Sky

His main problems will be fatigue and the final week. The TTT will have some surprises, it always does.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

08 Jul 2018 06:51

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Good start, possible negates the TTT malus to Sky

And there you have the reason TTTs need to die
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

09 Jul 2018 17:02

Serious chance that he will take the yellow in the Alps (if Thomas loses some seconds and Dumoulin doesn't lose anything on the cobbles).

Dumoulin looked by the way very strong today.
Sybrand
Newly Registered Member

09 Jul 2018 17:11

Quiet day tomorrow, then for stage 5:

UNLEASH THE KRAGHEN
Broccolidwarf

Re:

09 Jul 2018 17:12

Broccolidwarf wrote:Quiet day tomorrow, then for stage 5:

UNLEASH THE KRAGHEN

If he can sneak away in a break, perhaps.

(Does he deserve a thread?)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 17:15

If he does a good Mur de Bretagne and good Roubaix stage, which I think he will. Thinks suddenly look really nice.

I still think he'll have somewhat of a breakdown in week 3. But he might save an unlikely top 5
I hope for a few days of yellow now. Would be nice 29 years after Breukink
Veteran

Re:

09 Jul 2018 20:51

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:If he does a good Mur de Bretagne and good Roubaix stage, which I think he will. Thinks suddenly look really nice.

I still think he'll have somewhat of a breakdown in week 3. But he might save an unlikely top 5
I hope for a few days of yellow now. Would be nice 29 years after Breukink

Why? Everyone expected him, Jungels and Thomas to come out on top after these 9 days. They are the most complete riders on the best TTT-teams. For them to stand a chance in this race, they need to put time into Froomey, Nibali, Porte, Movistar etc. The problem has always been the Alps which are extremely hard and to a lesser extent the Pyrenees.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 20:56

Did Dumoulin even recon the cobbles?
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing