Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

29 Jul 2018 22:54

kiszol wrote:Since in 2008 he finished 83th I guess a few non-Sky riders must have beaten him, so nope. :)

82, to be exact. :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

30 Jul 2018 18:46

Sunweb released a video with some footage within the sunweb team from the last week .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=323&v=E4hiwmIkaYY

I liked it.
Winnen

Re:

31 Jul 2018 08:05

Winnen wrote:Sunweb released a video with some footage within the sunweb team from the last week .

I liked it.

Wow, Tom was really pissed about that tv-moto which dragged Roglic away in that descent. But next day when the wch skinsuit was made (after origo one was lost) and he won in it - full joy.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re:

31 Jul 2018 08:29

Winnen wrote:Sunweb released a video with some footage within the sunweb team from the last week .

I liked it.

Bennie Ceulen truly keeps the team together.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu

17 Sep 2018 01:21

is he going to focus in the RR or ITT? of corse if he goes on both, or even TTT, he`ll want them all but at this point witch one is he going to focus??
User avatar Jungle Cycle

17 Sep 2018 16:20

He goes all 3. He wants to focus on the RR because that's what he never won, but he admits he has more chance in the ITT.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

17 Sep 2018 18:14

Honestly think TTT and ITT are too damn hard and long to not affect the RR where now more than ever you need to be 100% fit.

But whatever. Ditching the ITT is no small thing.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

17 Sep 2018 22:57

Red Rick wrote:Honestly think TTT and ITT are too damn hard and long to not affect the RR where now more than ever you need to be 100% fit.

Ditching is a bit harsh. He is the defending champion and the bookies' favourite at this point.
He absolutely obliterated the field last year on a similar type of course. I think only Dennis has a realistic chance to beat him. Rohan is strong and he is in great form but still he did the Vuelta recently while Tom "rested". The 5km hill suits him perfectly, he will gain significant time on Dennis there. Anyway it will be a big fight between the two but Tom has great chances to defend his title.
User avatar kiszol

Re: Re:

18 Sep 2018 09:30

kiszol wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Honestly think TTT and ITT are too damn hard and long to not affect the RR where now more than ever you need to be 100% fit.

Ditching is a bit harsh. He is the defending champion and the bookies' favourite at this point.
He absolutely obliterated the field last year on a similar type of course. I think only Dennis has a realistic chance to beat him. Rohan is strong and he is in great form but still he did the Vuelta recently while Tom "rested". The 5km hill suits him perfectly, he will gain significant time on Dennis there. Anyway it will be a big fight between the two but Tom has great chances to defend his title.

I said it was no small thing :o

I think the TTT is rather too much. I don't see anyway they repeat
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

18 Sep 2018 10:33

There is a non zero probability that he will have 3 golds from this WCH :)
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

Re:

18 Sep 2018 10:44

glassmoon wrote:There is a non zero probability that he will have 3 golds from this WCH :)

Non zero but not big. :razz:
The TTT and the RR are both only long shots.
As for the TTT I think they can medal but BMC is monster strong, so they have even less chance beating them than last year.
User avatar kiszol

Re: Re:

18 Sep 2018 12:52

kiszol wrote:
glassmoon wrote:There is a non zero probability that he will have 3 golds from this WCH :)

Non zero but not big. :razz:
The TTT and the RR are both only long shots.
As for the TTT I think they can medal but BMC is monster strong, so they have even less chance beating them than last year.

Yeah, I know. Even 3 medals (with gold ITT) would be amazing.
Shut up, Jens!
glassmoon

22 Sep 2018 23:19

Sunweb released some data from the Giro and Tour

Most interesting thing to me is that he was almost 2kg lighter during the Tour, which seems consistent with him claiming he finds it hard to reach top form before the summer.

Power outputs don't really seem very high honestly.

So I think he could have been better in both races. :o
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Sep 2018 08:53

6.1 w/kg is actually pretty stellar on Zoncolan...
Veteran

Re:

23 Sep 2018 10:00

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:6.1 w/kg is actually pretty stellar on Zoncolan...

It is.

It's also the only climb that was high, and that 6,1W/kg got him 6th on the day or something. Variance within stages and climbs and years seems to be much larger than the variance between the riderse who fight for the win.

What I wonder more is

- What was Dumoulin's weight prior and during the 2015 Vuelta
- How did Dumoulin's weight progress during the Giro he won.
- Why was he 2kg lighter before and during the Tour and is this possible for him without riding another GT before that.

Overall, I'm not even sure what his best performance is this year. I'm leaning toward that 2nd place on La Rosiere, where in my opinion he was clearly at least the 2nd best rider on the day.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

23 Sep 2018 10:05

I'm really not an expert on this kind of stuff but doesn't this kinda show that the level in the giro was higher?
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

23 Sep 2018 10:12

Gigs_98 wrote:I'm really not an expert on this kind of stuff but doesn't this kinda show that the level in the giro was higher?

It shows power outputs on average were higher.

But you cannot compare them cause power outputs on two vastly different routes are vastly different things.

There's quite a few things that annoy me on that graphics. Aubisque total data is useless. Showing only Sappada and Tre Croci from that stage is dumb. Sestriere was a crucial part of it's stage, so you want that data as well. Etna is only partially given, but they don't say how long that part is.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Sep 2018 10:15

This shows that Yates was producing magical watts in the Giro. Until he wasn't.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

23 Sep 2018 10:31

tobydawq wrote:This shows that Yates was producing magical watts in the Giro. Until he wasn't.

It does.

I wish they had also shown the durations cause it would've been easier to compare the values a little bit to other climbs.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Sep 2018 10:51

I think the overall pace in the Tour is higher, and also the stress on flat stages in the Tour is higher. Causing lower power outputs on the final climbs
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing