Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

23 Sep 2018 11:05

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I think the overall pace in the Tour is higher, and also the stress on flat stages in the Tour is higher. Causing lower power outputs on the final climbs

Cause obviously Tour de France flat stages that are barely active recovery for most of the day for GC riders take more out of you than hillier Giro stages in crap weather.

Tour outputs were lower because of the mountain stages themselves, not because the Tour is raced that much harder.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 Sep 2018 16:31

Concerning the worlds. He says the form feels good after TTT. Especially in the uphill part he felt fine.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

23 Sep 2018 16:35

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Concerning the worlds. He says the form feels good after TTT. Especially in the uphill part he felt fine.

What's the course like? If it's hilly I'd say he has a high chance.
Stella0596

Re: Re:

23 Sep 2018 16:42

Stella0596 wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Concerning the worlds. He says the form feels good after TTT. Especially in the uphill part he felt fine.

For some reason I can't post the profile of the stage but here is a link to it
https://www.innsbruck-tirol2018.com/fileadmin/Races_Courses/Maps/Höhenprofil-Einzelzeitfahren-Herren-Elite.jpg
A bit like the TTT but with a way harder climb. Actually the ascent in this race is pretty much as hard as the one in Bergen last year, however it gets way less attention because the race doesn't finish on the climb. Moreover the TT is longer than last year which means that the climb is a smaller part of the race. Still, this route looks really really good for Dumoulin.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

23 Sep 2018 16:42

Stella0596 wrote:

30km flat, followed by a 5km climb (same as TT), and then a 22km hilly / rolling course
Veteran

23 Sep 2018 17:55

I guess Dennis will lead at the first checkpoint, but the third and especially the second part with the tough climb is better for Dumoulin. However after the TTT we shouldn't think of the TT as a two way race, others (Kiryienka, Kwiatkowski, ?), has some chance as well. :)
User avatar kiszol

23 Sep 2018 18:06

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:
Stella0596 wrote:

30km flat, followed by a 5km climb (same as TT), and then a 22km hilly / rolling course

It's a different climb than today. It's actually harder I'd say

They're going into the opposite direction, so if the wind direction is the same, it seems like there will be headwind, though I'm not sure if that's normal for that area.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

23 Sep 2018 18:13

tobydawq wrote:This shows that Yates was producing magical watts in the Giro. Until he wasn't.

he should publish his stats, Froome and Dumoulin have done it, he should follow
rick james

Re:

23 Sep 2018 18:14

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:6.1 w/kg is actually pretty stellar on Zoncolan...

its pretty impressive
rick james

25 Sep 2018 00:35

rick james wrote:
tobydawq wrote:This shows that Yates was producing magical watts in the Giro. Until he wasn't.

Yates is tiny in comparison to Froome & Dumoulin....doesn't need same power output
HelloDolly

25 Sep 2018 06:12

HelloDolly wrote:
rick james wrote:

Yates is tiny in comparison to Froome & Dumoulin....doesn't need same power output

its all for fun
rick james

30 Sep 2018 15:39

Great effort today. Much better than I expected.

Too bad he had nothing left in the end.

Hopefully he'll take some big ones home next year
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

30 Sep 2018 15:41

Overall, he's had a wonderfull steady season. But apart from the two time-trial victories, no big reward.
Stella0596

30 Sep 2018 15:43

Impressive ride today, finsihing 4th in the Worlds RR. He should be proud and I hope he is and the disappointment of missing a medal due to limited sprinting abilities isn't that big in him. He had a fantastic season, probably the best overall performance across all riders.
Despite a lot of near misses I think performance wise this season even tops the last one. The results speaks for themselves: two GT 2nd places, the Worlds ITT silver and epic ride in the RR with an almost podium position as a result. I think he is one of the best climbers and one of the best TTers in the field. Not just a guy who can do both thus is competitive in GTs.
Well done Tom, and can't wait for next year! :)
User avatar kiszol

30 Sep 2018 15:45

Tough year. That's a lot of heart break for one season! yes, he should be proud, but man....
Son of Amsterhammer

Re:

30 Sep 2018 15:49

Stella0596 wrote:Overall, he's had a wonderfull steady season. But apart from the two time-trial victories, no big reward.

I don't think that only the victories counts. He had two GT stage wins, yes, but the overall second places are worth much more and I know he is very proud of them. Hopefully he will have less near misses next year, he deserves some big wins for sure.

I had the impression that he trained a lot more for the RR than for the ITT, but still, training for the time trial surely reduced his chances in the RR. And the other way around as well...
User avatar kiszol

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

30 Sep 2018 15:52

A season full of 2nd places and a 4th place in the only one where a top 3 would have been a success. Very unlucky season for him but nonetheless he again established himself as one of the undoubtedly strongest cyclists of the year.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

30 Sep 2018 15:54

It's the confirmation he's a world class rider in everything he does. He road great all year, but has nothing to show for it.

I don't even think he was his absolute best today.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

30 Sep 2018 15:58

Gigs_98 wrote:A season full of 2nd places and a 4th place in the only one where a top 3 would have been a success. Very unlucky season for him but nonetheless he again established himself as one of the undoubtedly strongest cyclists of the year.

Well, there are a lot of riders but only a few winners if you are not in Quick-Step. :lol:
It seems that this year is a quiet one result wise, unlike last year. But imho he was even better, just wanted too much. Had he opt for only riding the Giro or the Tour (like last year) he most probably would have win it. But it was very useful to try both in one season. I think he should have no regrets. It was great as it was.
User avatar kiszol

30 Sep 2018 16:05

This performance was 99% mental strength. As the ITT showed he didn't have the great form anymore. Unbelievable. Even on his weaker days he is still so strong.
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing