Log in:  

Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

01 Oct 2018 12:55

Red Rick wrote:.....

I just realised Dumoulin riding Hammer Series on October 14th means no Lombardia on the 13th.

WHAT THE **** UCI

Okay guys, just changed my mind, nuke velon
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,725
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

Re:

01 Oct 2018 13:04

RedheadDane wrote:Maybe he wants to ride the Hammer Series. Maybe he just wants to have a bit of fun.
Surely the guy who was second in the Giro, second in the Tour, second at the ITT World Championships, and finally fourth in the RR World Championships can be allowed to have a bit of fun.

I doubt he'd go to HK to ride a crap event for fun.

Either there's serious pressure on Dumoulin to ride a **** exho instead of a monument, or Dumoulin doesn't care too much about the fall classics. It would be disappointing to me if it were the latter
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

01 Oct 2018 13:11

Red Rick wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Maybe he wants to ride the Hammer Series. Maybe he just wants to have a bit of fun.
Surely the guy who was second in the Giro, second in the Tour, second at the ITT World Championships, and finally fourth in the RR World Championships can be allowed to have a bit of fun.

I doubt he'd go to HK to ride a crap event for fun.

Either there's serious pressure on Dumoulin to ride a **** exho instead of a monument, or Dumoulin doesn't care too much about the fall classics. It would be disappointing to me if it were the latter

If he feels good enough, I'm quite sure he still wants to ride Lombardia, but maybe he's done for after the Worlds.
The sadness of the world has different ways of getting to people, but it seems to succeed almost every time
User avatar Bardamu
Member
 
Posts: 642
Joined: 13 Jul 2016 20:36
Location: Paris

01 Oct 2018 13:11

The bigger question is whether TD will go on and ride the Tour of Guangzi.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,460
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re: Re:

01 Oct 2018 13:18

Bardamu wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Maybe he wants to ride the Hammer Series. Maybe he just wants to have a bit of fun.
Surely the guy who was second in the Giro, second in the Tour, second at the ITT World Championships, and finally fourth in the RR World Championships can be allowed to have a bit of fun.

I doubt he'd go to HK to ride a crap event for fun.

Either there's serious pressure on Dumoulin to ride a **** exho instead of a monument, or Dumoulin doesn't care too much about the fall classics. It would be disappointing to me if it were the latter

If he feels good enough, I'm quite sure he still wants to ride Lombardia, but maybe he's done for after the Worlds.

Yeah.

But it was announced even before the ITT at the Worlds.

Last year Il Lombardia was in the plans and they decided it wasn't gonna work after Tre Valli Varisene.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

01 Oct 2018 15:49

Tbh I think he is dead exhausted and ride's Velon purely because he must. If he didn't he wouldve ended his season I'm pretty sure
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,006
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

01 Oct 2018 19:42

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Tbh I think he is dead exhausted and ride's Velon purely because he must. If he didn't he wouldve ended his season I'm pretty sure


After what he achieved he has every right to end his season now or do whatever races he still want to do. It's very possible that he must ride the Hammer series, but maybe he wouldn't ride Lombardia even if mustn't.
User avatar kiszol
Junior Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 07 Oct 2017 21:00

Re: Re:

01 Oct 2018 19:55

kiszol wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Tbh I think he is dead exhausted and ride's Velon purely because he must. If he didn't he wouldve ended his season I'm pretty sure


After what he achieved he has every right to end his season now or do whatever races he still want to do. It's very possible that he must ride the Hammer series, but maybe he wouldn't ride Lombardia even if mustn't.


Like Spekenbrink and Kemna ever cared for what anyone deserved. The horse will ride what it's told to ride, because the team's sponsors demand it.

With a smile, of course.
User avatar GuyIncognito
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,243
Joined: 27 Jun 2013 21:19

01 Oct 2018 22:26

Well, sure you are right, but if Spekenbrink and Kemna are smart they won't overburden Dumoulin with sponsor duties. He have to do a few for sure.
User avatar kiszol
Junior Member
 
Posts: 83
Joined: 07 Oct 2017 21:00

Re:

02 Oct 2018 20:04

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Tbh I think he is dead exhausted and ride's Velon purely because he must. If he didn't he wouldve ended his season I'm pretty sure


Dumoulin himself stated that he's looking forward to ride in Hongkong.

https://www.wielerflits.nl/nieuws/dumoulin-en-groenewegen-teamcaptains-in-hammer-series-hong-kong/
(durch article, but the message is the one I said above)
Vesica
Member
 
Posts: 320
Joined: 12 May 2014 18:21

Re: Re:

02 Oct 2018 20:27

GuyIncognito wrote:
kiszol wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Tbh I think he is dead exhausted and ride's Velon purely because he must. If he didn't he wouldve ended his season I'm pretty sure


After what he achieved he has every right to end his season now or do whatever races he still want to do. It's very possible that he must ride the Hammer series, but maybe he wouldn't ride Lombardia even if mustn't.


Like Spekenbrink and Kemna ever cared for what anyone deserved. The horse will ride what it's told to ride, because the team's sponsors demand it.

With a smile, of course.

Exactly.

I never understand why people take quotes at face value when they wouldn't say the opposite if it were true.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

03 Oct 2018 06:16

hilarious fact is right now through a series of 2nd and 4th places tom has pretty much become the best rider in the world imo. :)
dacooley
Member
 
Posts: 1,669
Joined: 30 May 2015 15:37

04 Oct 2018 14:02

He was on Dutch TV stating he really wants to go TDF next year and also have a peak in the hilly classics if that is the case. However he did not want to confirm that as a definite because he still says if he doesn't like the TDF route he still might decide differently.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,006
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

04 Oct 2018 14:08

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He was on Dutch TV stating he really wants to go TDF next year and also have a peak in the hilly classics if that is the case. However he did not want to confirm that as a definite because he still says if he doesn't like the TDF route he still might decide differently.

Also talked of how tough it was to do 2 GTs in a row, so it seems it's only the Tour for 2019.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

04 Oct 2018 14:33

dacooley wrote:hilarious fact is right now through a series of 2nd and 4th places tom has pretty much become the best rider in the world imo. :)


Best no, one of the best yes.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,353
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

04 Oct 2018 14:47

I don't really think there's any 'best rider' in the peloton right now. But if I'm forced to choose, I'm definitely leaning toward Dumoulin.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

04 Oct 2018 15:04

Aye he’s the best if you consider being the runner up the best
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,418
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

04 Oct 2018 15:10

Best doesn't equate to most succesful.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,304
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

04 Oct 2018 15:48

Red Rick wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:He was on Dutch TV stating he really wants to go TDF next year and also have a peak in the hilly classics if that is the case. However he did not want to confirm that as a definite because he still says if he doesn't like the TDF route he still might decide differently.

Also talked of how tough it was to do 2 GTs in a row, so it seems it's only the Tour for 2019.

Just heard it in the news on SLAM! as well, sounds like pragmatic decision-making IMHO!
User avatar staubsauger
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,200
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 18:14

Re:

04 Oct 2018 15:51

Red Rick wrote:Best doesn't equate to most succesful.


True. Which is why Sagan beyond doubt has been the best rider for the last many years.
User avatar tobydawq
Member
 
Posts: 1,946
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Eyeballs Out, Isaak-Gabriel, Sandisfan, Tim Booth, tobydawq, Wallenquist and 50 guests

Back to top