Register

Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

04 Jan 2019 16:12

I would guess Curvers will do at least one of them (probably the Giro again) - otherwise he might as well have retired, as was the original plan
User avatar Eyeballs Out

04 Jan 2019 16:21

Kelderman has crashed in the last 2 years and has not been able to support Tom in the GTs. What are the chances that he wont crash/fall ill. If he is out then the Giro team is extremely weak in the mountains especially if MS come with their strongest team. Yates has already shown his tendency to be aggressive from far out.
IndianCyclist

04 Jan 2019 21:53

Very intelligent from Tom and Sunweb...they can win the Giro and then see what happens
Tom is getting better all the time and he is very smart...a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush
Remember he will have no pressure for the Tour while SKY will have 2 competing leaders who both want to win this year...no quarter will be given
HelloDolly

26 Feb 2019 15:28

Bit of a false start. Came here with ambition but was clearly lacking. Not horrible or anything, but not in great shape yet. And considering the Tirreno is his main spring goal it looks like he will run out of time vs people in way better shape atm..
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

26 Feb 2019 15:55

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Bit of a false start. Came here with ambition but was clearly lacking. Not horrible or anything, but not in great shape yet. And considering the Tirreno is his main spring goal it looks like he will run out of time vs people in way better shape atm..

The Eurosport commentator tried to convince us that he is working for Wilco Keldermann, but I doubt that was the case.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

Re: Re:

26 Feb 2019 15:57

Lequack wrote:
Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Bit of a false start. Came here with ambition but was clearly lacking. Not horrible or anything, but not in great shape yet. And considering the Tirreno is his main spring goal it looks like he will run out of time vs people in way better shape atm..

The Eurosport commentator tried to convince us that he is working for Wilco Keldermann, but I doubt that was the case.

He was, but that is a case of cause and effect. He worked because he was far from good enough himself. Initially, the plan for Tom was to do well for himself. That went out the window real quick.
User avatar DNP-Old

26 Feb 2019 17:24

You can have the ambition, but form doesn't come on itself. It's the first race of the season after all. And he's had problems being good in the spring, 2017 was one of the only exceptions were he was pretty good in february/march
Veteran

Re:

26 Feb 2019 17:49

He should he wait til the Giro to peak so he still has something left for Le Tour
ecw445

26 Feb 2019 19:41

Should just be decent at Tirreno. Not everyone can do what Nibali's been doing
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

I came, I saw, I complained about a route design.
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

26 Feb 2019 19:54

He will probably wanna slowly build up his shape and form. Just get them racing days.

A top 10-15 in UAE would still be pretty respectful, with the competition there. Tirreno could maybe expect better, but wouldnt be all bad with "just a top 10" either. Solid base level for not being in great shape yet.

If he just get through UAE and Tirreno without any mishaps or crashes, it is already an improvement on last year. He had a horrid time last year in these races.
Salvarani

28 Feb 2019 02:49

Tom Dumoulin should not peak till Giro imo ...then he can have something for the Tour and the Worlds
HelloDolly

01 Mar 2019 12:46

Form doesn't look so bad now.

Tirreno should be a complete dogfight with Roglic and whoever is Sky leadah
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

01 Mar 2019 12:48

Red Rick wrote:Form doesn't look so bad now.

Tirreno should be a complete dogfight with Roglic and whoever is Sky leadah

I thought it was Geraint for the Tirreno no?
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

01 Mar 2019 13:29

Yeah, a lot better. Though the Tirreno this year is mostly shorter climbs which suits others more than him
Veteran

Re: Tom Dumoulin discussion thread

01 Mar 2019 13:35

Great result today. The form is not bad, he had that one bad day that's all.
The Giro is haping up nicely now, Dumoulin, Roglic, Yates, Bernal, Nibali, Lopez, maybe even Thomas?, what a race! Between Tom and Primoz the time trials could be the deciding factor. Both are very good but focusing more and more on climbing is surely hurting their TT skills. The question is which of them is more affected by that.
User avatar kiszol

02 Mar 2019 08:53

Will be a very interesting battle between those two. Big Tom probably has a slight edge in the TTs but Roglic is a little more punchy and a better descender.
dastott

02 Mar 2019 09:32

kiszol wrote:Great result today. The form is not bad, he had that one bad day that's all.
The Giro is haping up nicely now, Dumoulin, Roglic, Yates, Bernal, Nibali, Lopez, maybe even Thomas?, what a race! Between Tom and Primoz the time trials could be the deciding factor. Both are very good but focusing more and more on climbing is surely hurting their TT skills. The question is which of them is more affected by that.

Thomas confirmed for Tour only IIRC
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

02 Mar 2019 21:29

Red Rick wrote:Thomas confirmed for Tour only IIRC

He said it's 95% that he won't do the Giro.
As far as I see it he only wants the Tour but everyone else at Team Sky would be happier with him doing the Giro and thus coming to the Tour with less optimal form so he would be forced to help Froomey in the third week. This way Sky would have a better chance for both GT victories. However, sincs Thomas wants to hear nothing about it the situation is interesting right now.
User avatar kiszol

02 Mar 2019 21:31

kiszol wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Thomas confirmed for Tour only IIRC

He said it's 95% that he won't do the Giro.
As far as I see it he only wants the Tour but everyone else at Team Sky would be happier with him doing the Giro and thus coming to the Tour with less optimal form so he would be forced to help Froomey in the third week. This way Sky would have a better chance for both GT victories. However, sincs Thomas wants to hear nothing about it the situation is interesting right now.

Didn't Thomas basically say it's already too late for him to peak for the Giro.
Veni, Vidi, Ricky

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

02 Mar 2019 22:30

I didn't read that but it's possibly true. We will find out soon enough. Anyway the Giro will be stacked even without him.
User avatar kiszol

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing