Register

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

24 Jul 2017 11:08

If I remember correctly, it was indeed Bakelants who annihilated to frontgroup on Izoard with 8 to go when Romain decided it was better to let 3 Sky-riders join up again and wait till the 3 kilometre mark. Sharp acceleration instead of threshold pulls. I also do think he was in the break when Ag2R had the opportunity to take valuable time out of Froome in the Massif Central, I think thats what he specifically was referring to when he made that comment.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

24 Jul 2017 11:13

Yep.

He said (referring to the Izoard climb): you cannot break the Sky train by putting out 400 W, you have to get them in the red zone and we didn't do enough of that. In the Massif Central he was also up ahead (actually he was the rider with the most breakaway km apart from De Gendt) and was ready to fall back but never received the order.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

24 Jul 2017 11:17

Jagartrott wrote:Yep.

He said (referring to the Izoard climb): you cannot break the Sky train by putting out 400 W, you have to get them in the red zone and we didn't do enough of that. In the Massif Central he was also up ahead (actually he was the rider with the most breakaway km apart from De Gendt) and was ready to fall back but never received the order.

It worked and it was THE place to attack for Bardet on Izoard. Couldn't have set up more more brilliantly than that..
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

24 Jul 2017 14:28

Jagartrott wrote:Something interesting to add: his teammate Bakelants was a guest at a Flemish TV show yesterday. Bakelants got some criticism for a stupid interview taken completely out of context before the Tour, but he's actually quite smart AND he doesn't really do media-trained interviews.

He said he was proud that a small-budget team like AG2R was able to compete with Sky and Froome this Tour, but then he also mentioned several things that should be improved. Specifically he mentioned tactics, with too much soft-pedalling 'pulling' on some mountain stages that just made it easy for Sky, and professionalism regarding equipment - especially regarding the TT gear (he specifically referred to the helmets). I don't know if AG2R is suffering from an outdated leadership, but it would be good to not just rely on "we'll do the same next year, hopefully then it'll work".

Its crazy that a WT team wouldn't have at least as good equipment as amateur riders at the weekly TT. I doesn't matter if AG2R uses the vortex suit and best helmets though if RB doesn't get his position correct and put time on the bike.
jmdirt

09 Aug 2017 17:04

A little "Off the wall" interview with Romain, by Rouleur: https://rouleur.cc/editorial/romain-bardet-off-wall/
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Re:

09 Aug 2017 17:32

jmdirt wrote:
Jagartrott wrote:Something interesting to add: his teammate Bakelants was a guest at a Flemish TV show yesterday. Bakelants got some criticism for a stupid interview taken completely out of context before the Tour, but he's actually quite smart AND he doesn't really do media-trained interviews.

He said he was proud that a small-budget team like AG2R was able to compete with Sky and Froome this Tour, but then he also mentioned several things that should be improved. Specifically he mentioned tactics, with too much soft-pedalling 'pulling' on some mountain stages that just made it easy for Sky, and professionalism regarding equipment - especially regarding the TT gear (he specifically referred to the helmets). I don't know if AG2R is suffering from an outdated leadership, but it would be good to not just rely on "we'll do the same next year, hopefully then it'll work".

Its crazy that a WT team wouldn't have at least as good equipment as amateur riders at the weekly TT. I doesn't matter if AG2R uses the vortex suit and best helmets though if RB doesn't get his position correct and put time on the bike.

I seriously wondered that AG2R & Look didn't team-up at the start of the season.
User avatar staubsauger

21 Aug 2017 15:29

Really good stage!

He's with a shot at a (very) good general classification.
User avatar Alexandre B.

21 Aug 2017 16:22

First time he rides a second GT in the same season, so I think he's prone to fade, but he and Pozzovivo should get a top-5 between them. If he doesn't fade, a podium spot is possible.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

21 Aug 2017 16:27

Netserk wrote:First time he rides a second GT in the same season, so I think he's prone to fade, but he and Pozzovivo should get a top-5 between them. If he doesn't fade, a podium spot is possible.

Maybe.

If they cancel the TT.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

23 Aug 2017 17:29

Bad day today...big time loss. I sure wasn't expecting Romain to lose time in a finish like this. On the contrary. 1'37" behind Froome, 1'27" behind Chaves, far from the two Italians, all better in ITT...it's not looking good. I have a feeling that RB is not in as good a form as advertised. Hope I'm wrong.

Lavenu should stop having the GC in mind, let Bardet be the Barguill of this Vuelta instead of hurting his stocks with a Jungels/Mollema-level GC placing. Again, he's the DS and I'm not: hope I'm wrong.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

23 Aug 2017 17:42

Like he said in the Dauphiné, it will give him opportunities. :o

Pozzovivo seems to be fully commited in helping Bardet, he was with him today even if we don't know if the frenchman will explode and lose an bunch of time later.

Bad luck for AG2R these last two day, and it could be worse if Bardet and Pozzo slip definitely out of contention for the GC. Hope that the French machine Gougeard can take a win. :cool:
User avatar Chrispol

23 Aug 2017 18:00

I think saterday and sunday will be the tests to decide what to do in the 2nd and 3rd week. It would be foolish to continue to target the GC. Today was a bad sign, and anyway the 3rd week will be kind of an unknown zone for him because it's the first time he does 2 GC in a year, back-to-back furthermore. In short, he has few chances to be able to play the GC during 3 weeks, it will be better to target stages at soon as possible.
axl

23 Aug 2017 18:17

Lose time Bardet and then go stage hunting and Kom (and also Pozzo) ....its too much to ask him to produce the form of the Tour in his 1st ever 2nd GT in a year and after such a hard Tour

He is no where near Froome, Chaves & Contador ...and he wil not be there with Nibali either later
HelloDolly

23 Aug 2017 18:31

I knew he will fade. Back to back GT's are too much for him atm.
User avatar Blanco

Re:

24 Aug 2017 23:31

Blanco wrote:I knew he will fade. Back to back GT's are too much for him atm.

Yup.
MatParker117

30 Aug 2017 15:42

Goddamn Orica.

Now I'll pray for the peloton not messing with the break. He has the level to win a stage.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

30 Aug 2017 21:24

That was not the best final for him to try, some flat mid-climb, and in the end but time is running out. Brave effort. At 100%, Romain could still have pulled it. He found the strength not to get dropped and lose five minutes, it's good sign. But he's only going to get weaker. He won't win off the GC group,. Having said that, off the breakaway, there's a chance.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

01 Sep 2017 12:30

I guess there's quite a big chance on Sunday. Because normally the favorites tend to let a breakaway go on Sierra Nevada. Especially with La Pandera the day before.
User avatar staubsauger

09 Sep 2017 16:34

So Romain went to the Vuelta in order to "discover" what back-to-back GTs are.

He'll finish with a 17th on GC, a quick fade in the middle of the first week, some good breakaway attempts and no stage win.

His GC record is still rather impressive:

Tour 2013 -> 15th
Tour 2014 -> 6th
Tour 2015 -> 9th + a stage win
Tour 2016 -> 2nd + a stage win
Tour 2017 -> 3rd + a stage win
Vuelta 2017 -> 17th
User avatar Alexandre B.

09 Sep 2017 16:40

That 2015 Tour result certainly could've been better without the heat stroke.
User avatar staubsauger

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing