Register

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

24 Jul 2015 21:14

Does this young gladiator, a housewives' favourite indeed, not have his own thread? Rider of the tour for me. A fearless, combative rider who seems to relish upsetting the applecart. He has the good grace to look absolutely knackered at the end of a stage too....which I like.
Anyway, if he doesn't have a thread, he does now.
Last edited by armchairclimber on 17 Feb 2016 10:03, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar armchairclimber

24 Jul 2015 21:24

The best descender in the peloton.
Crafty climber.
Loveable character.

Definitely bought me.
User avatar sir fly

24 Jul 2015 21:38

I wouldn't have given him a hope of getting in the break today but he managed it. He is hard to watch though....the fear being that it's only a matter of time before he goes over some ravine whilst trying to make 20 seconds on the peloton.

Re: Romain Bardet

25 Jul 2015 09:11

Looks incredibly frail but has tremendous guts and rides with amazing finesse both uphill and down. Without his mechanical problem yesterday could he, perhaps, have joined Rolland or even Nibali?

Anyway, I hope he continues to provide amazing performances like this and endear himself to the English-speaking fans. All of the hubbub surrounding Froome and spitting and the like has soured the atmosphere and prevented most of us, it seems, from appreciating this guy. (Jens Voigt's usually enthusiastic Twitter feed didn't even mention Bardet's stage victory.)
User avatar yetanothergreenworld

Re:

25 Jul 2015 09:13

sir fly wrote:The best descender in the peloton.
Crafty climber.
Loveable character.

Definitely bought me.

Best descender in the peloton? Are you crazy?

Anyway, I really like Bardet. Such an attacking rider and seems like a nice young guy.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

Re: Re:

25 Jul 2015 09:31

Hugo Koblet wrote:
Crafty climber.
Loveable character.

Definitely bought me.

Anyway, I really like Bardet. Such an attacking rider and seems like a nice young guy.

He is the best descender.
Day after day keeping lessons how it should be done. If you have doubts, if you can't tell just by watching him, time the efforts of the most prominent descenders. Calculate the small chainring in into Bardet's from yesterday, as well.
And it looks like it's a natural thing to him. Like there are no thoughts if it's to risky or worth of a shot. It's a descent, so you go fast, no philosophy
User avatar sir fly

25 Jul 2015 09:54

sir fly wrote:
Hugo Koblet wrote:
Crafty climber.
Loveable character.

Definitely bought me.

Day after day keeping lessons how it should be done. If you have doubts, if you can't tell just by watching him, time the efforts of the most prominent descenders. Calculate the small chainring in into Bardet's from yesterday, as well.
And it looks like it's a natural thing to him. Like there are no thoughts if it's to risky or worth of a shot. It's a descent, so you go fast, no philosophy

Not even amongst top 10 descenders in the peloton.

The best between the climbers? Maybe, although Nibali and Sammy Sanchez would like to have a word.
Bushman

25 Jul 2015 10:15

Bushman wrote:
sir fly wrote:
Hugo Koblet wrote:
Crafty climber.
Loveable character.

Definitely bought me.

Not even amongst top 10 descenders in the peloton.

The best between the climbers? Maybe, although Nibali and Sammy Sanchez would like to have a word.

They've had it yesterday.
User avatar sir fly

25 Jul 2015 10:28

sir fly wrote:
Hugo Koblet wrote:
Crafty climber.
Loveable character.

Definitely bought me.

Bardet was good on that Dauphine stage, yes, although no one chased him down. Then the last few day's he's gone to the front on descents and created gaps, yes, and no doubt he's a quite good descender, but he's nowhere near the best descenders in the peloton. Heck, Rolland was faster than Bardet on the final downhill on the Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne stage.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

25 Jul 2015 10:29

He descends well enough not to loose time over anybody, which is mostly all you need as a climber. Just a shame he lost so much time on stage 10 & 11. Odd to have two bad days like that, but he's what 24? Not sure he's GC material yet, but certainly a stage hunter in the mountains.
samhocking

Re:

25 Jul 2015 11:28

samhocking wrote:He descends well enough not to loose time over anybody, which is mostly all you need as a climber. Just a shame he lost so much time on stage 10 & 11. Odd to have two bad days like that, but he's what 24? Not sure he's GC material yet, but certainly a stage hunter in the mountains.

You know he was 6th overall last year right?
Bushman

25 Jul 2015 11:31

sir fly wrote:
Hugo Koblet wrote:
Crafty climber.
Loveable character.

Definitely bought me.

I want to see him descending against sagan...
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

25 Jul 2015 22:59

His attitude is very likable: “I don't want to ride anonymously in the field. I want to draw a race, at all costs!“ :)

He definitely looks like the son of Riccardo Ricco and Drake Bell, though. ^^
User avatar staubsauger

25 Jul 2015 23:13

I would have liked to have seen him win the KOM but he has time for that in the future. The stage he won was the one I enjoyed most. I like the fact that he is cavalier and a trier. The Hog used to have a great photo of him as his avatar, sat down looking absolutely spent. He is a rider who leaves it all out there on the road and for that, I confess to having some man love for him.

Re: Romain Bardet

26 Jul 2015 03:00

Bardet is a great champion, he has the heart, he is young. He has a bright future. He's a fighter. He'll be back...
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

26 Jul 2015 07:15

Really one of the most entertaining riders in the peloton. He sure did light up this TdF as well.
I hope he never loses this racing attitude, because this makes him a fanfavourite.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran

26 Jul 2015 14:33

Romain Bardet awarded as the most combative rider of the 2015 TDF.
Antoine_Blondin

26 Jul 2015 14:39

sir fly wrote:
Hugo Koblet wrote:
Crafty climber.
Loveable character.

Definitely bought me.

Sagan? Cancellara? Panzer?

Also, we're yet to see Bardet descending in the wet (though I think he might be better than Nibali in dry conditions)
User avatar PremierAndrew

26 Jul 2015 16:05

He is planning on staying at AG2R longterm? He certainly is a great talent who has a lot of guts.
User avatar Moviefan1203

Re:

26 Jul 2015 16:28

Moviefan1203 wrote:He is planning on staying at AG2R longterm? He certainly is a great talent who has a lot of guts.

If I were him, I would. It's the only good French team...
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

Next

Return to Professional road racing