Register

Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

23 Jul 2017 13:15

Rollthedice wrote:Here you have it, courtesy chronoswatts, Fred Portoleau, Giro and Tour 2017 main climbs:

Shows that the level is even on climbs. Time trials made the differences.
User avatar Alexandre B.

23 Jul 2017 13:34

that 2nd picture is so small no normal eye can read that
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re: Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

23 Jul 2017 13:47

For the ITT bikes, it's only since '15 that FDJ gives one for the riders to keep at home and train on. In RB's case, according to his interview,he has one but doesn't like to train on it. Well, lesson learned...but this ITT shouldn't define Romain Bardet's '17 TdF.

48 hours ago, he was a half-God, and now he's a bum...come on :) . The truth is in the middle, and the factis that Bardet had a great Tour. A HUGE stage win, and he confirmed last year's result with another podium.

The 20-second penalty? I read that Romain got a drink from a spectator, which is not forbidden, whereas it was at first thought that Uran got his bottle from his team, which is not allowed. I didn't dig deeper, correct me if I'm wrong.

For the public (I won't call them fans), there're id**ts everywhere. Having lived and visited many countries, I can tell you that the ratio of id**ots is the same regardless of citizenship, race, religion...it's universal.

So my bottom line is: a brilliant performance overall. Romain's Tour was a success.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

23 Jul 2017 13:52

I understand you want to defend him. But talking about winning the Tour but finding training on an ITT bike 'too boring' is pretty mind boggling.
Also the team then shows a real lack of understanding. I would almost say typical French...

If you know how much time teams like Sky, Sunweb or Movistar invest in time trialling and the bikes..
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

23 Jul 2017 14:00

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:I understand you want to defend him. But talking about winning the Tour but finding training on an ITT bike 'too boring' is pretty mind boggling.
Also the team then shows a real lack of understanding. I would almost say typical French...

If you know how much time teams like Sky, Sunweb or Movistar invest in time trialling and the bikes..

I completely agree with you, and I reposted that June 7 exchange with Alexandre...it bit him in the rear.

For the team thing, not typical French, but universal IMO: teams have been afraid to challenge the dominant squad since the USPS days. Movistar is a great example of that. Other factors, i.e. radios may have also participated in the dumbing down of cycling. The last remaining art is to set up echelons. DS can't set up, or lack confidence in setting up long range attacks. It's a lot of small moves, last km stuff, nothing big...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

Re:

23 Jul 2017 14:06

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:that 2nd picture is so small no normal eye can read that

it's slightly more readable when opened in a new tab

http://img.techpowerup.org/170723/tour-fred-resize.jpg
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

Re: Re:

23 Jul 2017 14:13

Alexandre B. wrote:
Rollthedice wrote:Here you have it, courtesy chronoswatts, Fred Portoleau, Giro and Tour 2017 main climbs:

So if there're even on the climbs and Pinot>Bardet in ITT, does it mean what I think it means? :D ;) :p
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

23 Jul 2017 14:15

Tonton wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:

So if there're even on the climbs and Pinot>Bardet in ITT, does it mean what I think it means? :D ;) :p

3rd > 4th :p
User avatar Alexandre B.

23 Jul 2017 14:19

Tonton wrote:
Alexandre B. wrote:

IMO it does not matter if Pinot is better than if Bardet if both forgot to train for TTs. After all it is not a matter of competing for the best Frenchman. It is almost criminal
IndianCyclist

Re: Romain Bardet Discussion Thread

23 Jul 2017 14:21

@IndianCyclist

I couldn't help it :) .
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

23 Jul 2017 14:28

Plus Bardet can probably make up the time lost in an ITT against Pinot on a descent ;)
User avatar PremierAndrew

23 Jul 2017 15:18

Clearly you cannot expect to win a GT without ITT prowess, at least not anymore. If RB wants to have a chance to win he clearly needs to get on that bike and in the wind tunnel, and figure out a way to avoid nearly losing the podium on the final day. Given his physique he probably won't be a fabulous TTer, but he should aim for respectability. It's not like he blew anybody away in the mountains -- he was on the same level as Froome and Uran and honestly slightly behind Landa/Barguil. So he would probably see the largest marginal gains in time trialing.
Bolder

23 Jul 2017 19:21

An interesting thought that sorta struck me earlier today:

If we go by placing he's of course worse than last year; 3rd as opposed to 2nd.
However, if we go by time behind he's better; 2' 20 as opposed to 4' 05.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

23 Jul 2017 19:48

RedheadDane wrote:An interesting thought that sorta struck me earlier today:

If we go by placing he's of course worse than last year; 3rd as opposed to 2nd.
However, if we go by time behind he's better; 2' 20 as opposed to 4' 05.

Very true...what matters is how close to winning he was, and Romain cut his deficit in half yer-over-year. And it was actually by more than half, because last year he made up time stage 19, when he was not a danger, and Sky didn't bother chasing.

For all the discussions in the "French Hope" thread, let's not forget that time-wise, Pinot and Bardet recorded the two closest finishes to the winner by a French rider since Jalabert won La Vuelta...and both are still young.

To get back to Romain, his Tour definitely was a success. Plain and simple.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

23 Jul 2017 20:09

2013 (22yo): 15th
2014 (23yo): 6th
2015 (24yo): 9th + one stage win
2016 (25yo): 2nd + one stage win
2017 (26yo): 3rd + one stage win

Romain continues to grow as a prominent GC contender.

Last year, he was constantly behind Froome in the mountains, except for the move that earned him his podium place: he was behind Froome at Bagnères-de-Luchon, he was behind Froome at Andorra-Arcalis, he was behind Froome at Chalet Reynard and he was behind Froome at Finhaut-Emosson.

Not anymore.

He won a stage à la pédale at the altiport of Peyragudes, and was slightly dropped for one time, on the last section of La Planche des Belles Filles. This Tour showed us the best of Romain climbing wise. He's up there with the cream of the crop.

Romain suffered a bad day on the penultimate stage which was a time trial, his grand weakness, leading to a near disaster. He MUST imperatively improve on his TT skills, if not he'll never win any balanced stage race. If someone like Landa has improved, there's no reason Romain cannot.

I have a regret: he missed a unique opportunity to wear the yellow jersey for some days. It's something that strikes me, but Romain never led a race. He doesn't know that feel.

I hope he will.
User avatar Alexandre B.

23 Jul 2017 23:25

Bardet has youth on his side but he has to work on his TT. Quintana has improved in that area.
movingtarget
Veteran

24 Jul 2017 08:13

I have enjoyed watching him this year. Only two riders on GC attacked Froome: Bardet and Martin. Martin paid for it dearly. Bardet managed his race quite well, I thought. He needs a course with more summit finishes and technical descents without long flat run ins. And yes, he needs to improve his TT of course.

The fact of the matter is, he was beaten by the best GT rider with a world champion and super-climber for domestiques. No shame there. Before the 2016 tour I suggested that he was a podium threat ... very few agreed with me. He has confirmed that it was no fluke.

Edit. Aru also attacked of course ... look what happened to him.
Last edited by armchairclimber on 24 Jul 2017 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar armchairclimber

24 Jul 2017 09:51

Even if Bardet somehow got close to Froome's level in TT'ing (which is highly unlikely), he'd still have to beat the Sky machine in the mountains. I don't see that happening anytime soon. And on the flats, his AG2R team is definitely vulnerable. If it were not for Naesen, he could've lost the Tour in that one echelon stage already
User avatar Jagartrott

24 Jul 2017 09:59

Something interesting to add: his teammate Bakelants was a guest at a Flemish TV show yesterday. Bakelants got some criticism for a stupid interview taken completely out of context before the Tour, but he's actually quite smart AND he doesn't really do media-trained interviews.

He said he was proud that a small-budget team like AG2R was able to compete with Sky and Froome this Tour, but then he also mentioned several things that should be improved. Specifically he mentioned tactics, with too much soft-pedalling 'pulling' on some mountain stages that just made it easy for Sky, and professionalism regarding equipment - especially regarding the TT gear (he specifically referred to the helmets). I don't know if AG2R is suffering from an outdated leadership, but it would be good to not just rely on "we'll do the same next year, hopefully then it'll work".
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

24 Jul 2017 10:16

Jagartrott wrote:Specifically he mentioned tactics, with too much soft-pedalling 'pulling' on some mountain stages that just made it easy for Sky

Ha. Look at that, maybe some of us weren't crazy after all!
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing