Register

Vuelta Prediction: How will GC battle Shake up?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 Aug 2015 20:59

Bertie tweet ,,,,is he going to race?

#LAVUELTA
Come that we're all!
ray j willings

12 Aug 2015 21:00

Ok, moved the discussion about avatar bets to the appropriate thread, hope you don't mind.

sirfly, in case you missed it, Jspear also has a proposition for you.

Cheers.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

12 Aug 2015 21:03

Giant lineup. http://teamgiantalpecin.com/vuelta-a-espana-line-up-announced/

Lawson Craddock (USA)
John Degenkolb (GER)
Tom Dumoulin (NED)
Johannes Fröhlinger (GER)
Thierry Hupond (FRA)
Koen de Kort (NED)
Luka Mezgec (SLO)
Tom Stamsnijder (NED)
Zico Waeytens (BEL)

Lovely team! Go Lawson!

Woop, woop!
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

Re:

12 Aug 2015 21:04

BigMac wrote:Ok, moved the discussion about avatar bets to the appropriate thread, hope you don't mind.

sirfly, in case you missed it, Jspear also has a proposition for you.

Cheers.

Good move ;)
I've responded to Jspear in the thread.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

Re: Vuelta Prediction: How will GC battle Shake up?

12 Aug 2015 22:41

BigMac wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I now watched the profiles more closely. Can anyone explain why the mtf of stage 14 is ESP while the mtf of stage 15 is only 1st category. That one is clearly more difficult.

However, I still like the route. I hope the fact that there is no mtf in the last week will cause some long range attacks. Especially week 2 is absolutely brutal with 4 mtf's and another medium mountain stage. The last mtf to Ermita de Alba is a little bit harder than pena cabarga, there is another 1st category climb before and its before a rest day which is the reason why I expect even more from this stage than from the andorra stage.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=149995&c=8. It's a cat.1 :)

Thats the point. Until today it was a 1st category climb but they changed it to an ESP climb, at least the vuelta side says so:
http://www.lavuelta.com/la-vuelta/2015/es/etapa-14.html
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re: Re:

12 Aug 2015 22:57

LaFlorecita wrote:
sir fly wrote:How will GC battle shake up?
Nothing will shake up, Froome will shake them all off!
The Tour champion doesn't come to a race to be beaten by the rivals he defeated a month ago or some young and coming hopefuls.
This will be the double of the season.

In your dreams :D he can't even stay at a consistent level for 3 weeks, there's no way he can do the double.

so far he's proven he only has to ride great for 2 weeks and then hold on to a lead
cantpedal

13 Aug 2015 00:14

NairoQ wrote:
Anderis wrote:
TI-Raleigh wrote:I doubt that Aru has the class to seriously challenge the likes of Froome, Quintana, Valverde, and Nibali over three weeks. He is simply not strong enough (yet) to win the MTFs against these guys

:confused:
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Vuelta_a_Espana_2014_Stage_11_San_Miguel_de_Aralar_navarra
http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Vuelta_a_Espana_2014_Stage_18_Monte_Castrove_en_Meis_Pontevedra

Nice one.

Please. Aru won the stages because the top guys let him go. If it was Valverde and Purito that had attacked, Froome/Contador would have chased them down. Name an MTF where Aru won by being clearly the dominant, strongest rider, not mountain sprinting away in the final kms.
Strange people, bike riders. They imagine a racing bike is made for going quickly. They're wrong. A racing bike is made solely for winning races. -Jacques Anquetil
TI-Raleigh

13 Aug 2015 00:40

I'm very doubtful regarding Aru's chances.
Not only that he hasn't proved himself against the best men in the business, but also in the sense that this year his form isn't stable as it's been last year.
My impression is that the fluctuations came with the efforts to lift his limits, It's easier (and natural) to reach stability on the level of limits closer to average values. Lifting the peaks requires time to adjust the average.
User avatar sir fly
Veteran

13 Aug 2015 04:59

jaylew wrote:
Jspear wrote:Why are you hoping your post doesn't get deleted? Do you have a reason to be worried?

I think he's talking about the clinic insinuations.

Exactly :) Sometimes it's hard to leave that out, my apologies.
bebellion2

13 Aug 2015 08:37

sir fly wrote:
We could make some arrangement, but I'm not sure you'll like it.

What do you suggest? Either I am willing to bet froome will not win :)
bassano

13 Aug 2015 09:10

yes, the most important thing is froome's recovery is so terrible that he won the tour twice and finished second in the gts 3 times yet. :p
dacooley

13 Aug 2015 10:23

3rd best climber at Astana wrote:“There’s respect between us. We’re a group, a real team, and there’s Landa too"

A team and Landa eh? Shameful how Aru's inferiority was allowed to prevail over the magnificent Landa
User avatar SeriousSam
Veteran

13 Aug 2015 12:39

bebellion2 wrote:
jaylew wrote:
Jspear wrote:Why are you hoping your post doesn't get deleted? Do you have a reason to be worried?

I think he's talking about the clinic insinuations.

Exactly :) Sometimes it's hard to leave that out, my apologies.

I deleted the blatantly offending comment and all the quoted comments that went along with it. Please keep doping talk and insinuations in the clinic.
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

13 Aug 2015 16:25

The vuelta is looking like a pretty exciting race. Instead of asking who is going, you have to ask who isn't going to show up?
offbyone

Re:

13 Aug 2015 19:06

offbyone wrote:The vuelta is looking like a pretty exciting race. Instead of asking who is going, you have to ask who isn't going to show up?

Alberto Contador. What a sluggard! :p
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

13 Aug 2015 19:10

Gigs_98 wrote:I now watched the profiles more closely. Can anyone explain why the mtf of stage 14 is ESP while the mtf of stage 15 is only 1st category. That one is clearly more difficult.

However, I still like the route. I hope the fact that there is no mtf in the last week will cause some long range attacks. Especially week 2 is absolutely brutal with 4 mtf's and another medium mountain stage. The last mtf to Ermita de Alba is a little bit harder than pena cabarga, there is another 1st category climb before and its before a rest day which is the reason why I expect even more from this stage than from the andorra stage.

This stage is underrated. Ermita de Alba is a very hard cat. 1 climb (7km at almost constant 10%), while the climb before, Cobertoria East, is even harder and IMHO a definite Hors Categorie.

That being said, the route still *****
User avatar Descender

13 Aug 2015 19:11

Gigs_98 wrote:
BigMac wrote:

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race.php?id=149995&c=8. It's a cat.1 :)

Thats the point. Until today it was a 1st category climb but they changed it to an ESP climb, at least the vuelta side says so:
http://www.lavuelta.com/la-vuelta/2015/es/etapa-14.html

Alto Campoo is definitely not ESP worthy.
User avatar Descender

13 Aug 2015 19:15

I don't think he'll win, but Aru is the best bet.
User avatar Descender

15 Aug 2015 13:33

User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

15 Aug 2015 18:54

He won't race.
User avatar fungusbear

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing