Register

More races gone?

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

24 Sep 2015 19:15

And also I just want to note my general annoyance at the San Francisco Grand Prix not existing any more. We've had enough millionaire cycling fans starting teams - if I was a millionaire cycling fan, I'd start/restart races.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

24 Sep 2015 22:18

TMP402 wrote:And also I just want to note my general annoyance at the San Francisco Grand Prix not existing any more. We've had enough millionaire cycling fans starting teams - if I was a millionaire cycling fan, I'd start/restart races.

Yeah that was a good one, I miss it.

Another USA race that most likely no one misses except me and my friends was a grand little crit in Trenton NJ. I met many big international stars there because it was a warm up for the Philadelphia Classic when it drew big teams. Now Trenton is long Gone and Philly is a pale shadow of its former glory :(. Another race close enough for me that drew great riders like LeMond, Fignon, Bugno etc. was the Tour DuPont but that and the Tour of Georgia are long gone. There isn't a decent pro race on the entire east coast of the USA now :(
Carol S.
~~~~
Alberto Contador: "And yes, it is true that for me it's the same to finish second or 10th."

Vincezo Nibali joins Anquetil, Gimondi, Merckx, Hinault and Contador as only the 6th winner of all 3 Grand Tours! Bravo Lo Squalo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

06 Mar 2016 23:24

I don't know if we need a new thread for this season but either way I'm glad to note that two of the races held today, the 1.2 Grand Prix de la Ville de Lillers and the 1.1 GP Industria & Artigianato di Larciano were not held last year. Two races back on the calendar!
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

08 Mar 2016 13:49

Bayern Rundfahrt gone.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2016-bayern-rundfahrt-at-risk-due-to-budget-shortfall/

However, ASO plan to revive the Deutschland Tour in 2018.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

08 Mar 2016 15:41

TMP402 wrote:Bayern Rundfahrt gone.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/2016-bayern-rundfahrt-at-risk-due-to-budget-shortfall/

Well, that's a definite upgrade!
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

08 Mar 2016 19:38

I'm curious - how many stages are there usually in the Deutschland Tour.
I never managed to watch it before it got cut.
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re: Re:

08 Mar 2016 19:47

TourOfSardinia wrote:

The last few editions seem to have been 9 stages, starting with a prologue or TTT and ending with a farly considerable (30km) ITT.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

08 Mar 2016 19:54

Voigt (x2) and Gerdemann won the last three. Keeping the ITT at the end would clearly suit Tony Martin if they want a home winner.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

08 Mar 2016 20:03

TourOfSardinia wrote:

It used to have 9 stages and in 2005 and 2007 they had a MTF on the Rettenbachferner.
I was never a big fan of the Deutschlandrundfahrt.
User avatar Mayomaniac

08 Mar 2016 21:53

My biggest concern is that the Deutschland Tour always tried to be like the Tour rather than utilize what it could potentially do with German terrain, and ASO being in charge of the revival will only exacerbate that. You can have a real all-rounder's week-long race in Germany all over the place, from echelon-baiting carnage in the north, brutal, cobbled ex-DDR roads in Sachsen-Anhalt, real Classics hardman terrain in Saxony, the Nürburgring's history of the sport, some tough-but-not-too-tough mountain stages in the Schwarzwald, and some chaotic puncheur's terrain around the Rhine-Mosel area and the Saarland. And the Berchtesgadener Land is there if they want to hire Angelo Zomegnan.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

09 Mar 2016 11:32

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deutschland-tour-to-re-launch-as-aso-sign-groundbreaking-partnership-with-german-federation/

The route will be designed to "play to the strengths of German riders" with sprints and Classics-flavoured stages intended to showcase the home talent.

Hopefully means Degenkolb stages rather than Kittel stages.
User avatar vedrafjord

09 Mar 2016 17:03

Mayomaniac wrote:
TourOfSardinia wrote:

It used to have 9 stages and in 2005 and 2007 they had a MTF on the Rettenbachferner.
I was never a big fan of the Deutschlandrundfahrt.

The 2005 Rettenbachferner stage is always the image that pops up in my mind when the speak is on Deutshland Tour. Levi and Georg dropping Jan was an epic sight. I'm happy to hear of the plans to revive the race, but I agree with LS, that they should try to utilize the german terrain giving different kinds of riders a chance to win it. In that case a stage in the Harz "Mountains", where the climbs are tough but not too long, could be ideal depending on the route.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

Re:

09 Mar 2016 18:22

vedrafjord wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/deutschland-tour-to-re-launch-as-aso-sign-groundbreaking-partnership-with-german-federation/

The route will be designed to "play to the strengths of German riders" with sprints and Classics-flavoured stages intended to showcase the home talent.

Hopefully means Degenkolb stages rather than Kittel stages.

Hopefully not another Bayern Rundfahrt, that would be aweful.
User avatar Mayomaniac

09 Mar 2016 19:36

If it's 9 stages, and stages 8 and 9 are a Hölle des Ostens cobbled stage around Halle and an ITT in Cottbus, we'll have done OK.

What I really want is Teufelstein and Steiler Wand. And a real up-and-down-all-day stage in the Taunus, Rhön or Thüringer Wald mountains.

Bayern Rundfahrt is possibly the race with the worst ratio of "actual quality:potential quality" in the history of cycling.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

09 Mar 2016 19:43

Preferably I would've loved ASO to organize Course de la Paix again, instead. More tradition, more passion, more prestigious. Too bad they ain't got the name rights for it! :(
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

09 Mar 2016 19:45

staubsauger wrote:Preferably I would've loved ASO to organize Course de la Paix again, instead. More tradition, more passion, more prestigious. Too bad they ain't got the name rights for it! :(

I think Libertine would have as well!
User avatar lemon cheese cake

09 May 2016 01:53

The Classica Corsica was a 1.1 race held for the first time in March last year, with a course based on the 2013 Tour de France stages on the island. They haven't updated their website since last year and there appears to be no mention of the race this year. Does anyone know more?
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

09 May 2016 14:21

staubsauger wrote:Preferably I would've loved ASO to organize Course de la Paix again, instead. More tradition, more passion, more prestigious. Too bad they ain't got the name rights for it! :(

The German market is more promising for ASO right now.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

09 May 2016 14:58

lemon cheese cake wrote:

Not sure, they (any of them) would have. The Peace Race owned by ASO, what horror! I'd rather it be inexistent than this. If it is to phenix, it has to be organised by an independent organization, not that octopus.
Echoes

09 May 2016 17:22

Echoes wrote:
lemon cheese cake wrote:

Not sure, they (any of them) would have. The Peace Race owned by ASO, what horror! I'd rather it be inexistent than this. If it is to phenix, it has to be organised by an independent organization, not that octopus.

I mean in terms of seeing the race come back as a pro race rather than just a U23 race. I wasn't being specific about the ASO at all.
User avatar lemon cheese cake

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing