Register

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

07 Aug 2015 20:05

OMG, this young man is even better than quintana, he's a future gt's winner, can't wait to see him in giro next year (unfortunately to work for nibali or aru). he needs to sign with other team, maybe bmc?
portugal11

Re: Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

07 Aug 2015 20:08

portugal11 wrote:OMG, this young man is even better than quintana, he's a future gt's winner, can't wait to see him in giro next year (unfortunately to work for nibali or aru). he needs to sign with other team, maybe bmc?

I hope you are right that he could be even better, but isnt it too early to declare it? :D
you are a bit of with BMC, its almost the worst team ever for his transfer :eek:

Gratz to Miguel for the win :)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

07 Aug 2015 20:11

About time he got his own topic!

He is going to be great, hope he can keep progressing for a while so he can dominate stage races for the next 15 years.
User avatar Ruudz0r

07 Aug 2015 20:13

I was just going to open up a thread on Lopez yesterday, but didn't have time. He genuinely looks so promising, even more than Yates/Formolo/Chaves to me.
User avatar PremierAndrew

07 Aug 2015 20:18

ILovecycling wrote:
portugal11 wrote:OMG, this young man is even better than quintana, he's a future gt's winner, can't wait to see him in giro next year (unfortunately to work for nibali or aru). he needs to sign with other team, maybe bmc?

I hope you are right that he could be even better, but isnt it too early to declare it? :D
you are a bit of with BMC, its almost the worst team ever for his transfer :eek:

First winner of Tour de l'Avenir at the age of 20 since a Colombian named Nairo Quintana.

Last year, he picked up 8 wins, which is pretty impressive at his age (20 at the time), and then, obviously extremely impressive performance at Burgos. This guy is the real deal
User avatar PremierAndrew

07 Aug 2015 20:19

ILovecycling wrote:

he only has 21, and astana has many leaders for gt's, bmc hasn't leader for giro and vuelta, bmc could be a option for him. tinkoff will close after contador retire. I can't see a better team for him...
portugal11

07 Aug 2015 20:22

It is early to know if he is better than Quintana, Astana has advantage now in number , so someone is going to benefit.

He has a similar story than Chaves, and yes, chaves is a great climberm but he is not better than quintana.. Quintana is a kind of rider that is not easy to find. But Superlopez looks to be something similar.
User avatar Taxus4a

07 Aug 2015 20:27

esteban chavez is not even close...
portugal11

07 Aug 2015 20:27

Taxus4a wrote:

It is early to know if he is better than Quintana, Astana has advantage now in number , so someone is going to benefit.

He has a similar story than Chaves, and yes, chaves is a great climberm but he is not better than quintana.. Quintana is a kind of rider that is not easy to find. But Superlopez looks to be something similar.

Astana had numbers ye, but Lopez wasnt their pick, Lopez hit the front when the final hill/climb started a Katusha took over but with about 1.4K to go Lopez hit the front again. Then Scarponi attacked, Moreno and Lopez countered and Lopez finished it off. So today the numbers were not really an advantage for him.
User avatar Ruudz0r

07 Aug 2015 20:29

portugal11 wrote:
ILovecycling wrote:

he only has 21, and astana has many leaders for gt's, bmc hasn't leader for giro and vuelta, bmc could be a option for him. tinkoff will close after contador retire. I can't see a better team for him...

there is a reason why gt riders dont wanna go to bmc ;)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

07 Aug 2015 20:31

PremierAndrew wrote:
ILovecycling wrote:

First winner of Tour de l'Avenir at the age of 20 since a Colombian named Nairo Quintana.

Last year, he picked up 8 wins, which is pretty impressive at his age (20 at the time), and then, obviously extremely impressive performance at Burgos. This guy is the real deal

I know all of his stats, I just think its too early to discuss if he is that good, he still hasnt ridden a GT and thats the real deal.
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

08 Aug 2015 09:02

No problem. This man will win multiple Giro or Vuelta's.

And Nairo for some Tour wins ;)
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

08 Aug 2015 13:15

Now that we have confirmation that he won't be riding La Vuelta, he's going to, according to Goga, defend his title in l'Avenir, which I do not support at all.
Last edited by DNP-Old on 08 Aug 2015 13:16, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar DNP-Old

08 Aug 2015 13:16

he won't go to vuelta...
portugal11

08 Aug 2015 13:33

I hope he has got good legs today, 5riders with him 16k to go :cool:
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

Re:

08 Aug 2015 14:22

DNP-Old wrote:Now that we have confirmation that he won't be riding La Vuelta, he's going to, according to Goga, defend his title in l'Avenir, which I do not support at all.

Why not? I think it's better then sending Seb Henao, who's already 2 years pro with Sky and rode 2 Giro's.
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2015 14:25

Arredondo wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:Now that we have confirmation that he won't be riding La Vuelta, he's going to, according to Goga, defend his title in l'Avenir, which I do not support at all.

Why not? I think it's better then sending Seb Henao, who's already 2 years pro with Sky and rode 2 Giro's.

Two reasons: I don't like WT riders participate in l'Avenir, and I'd like us to ride for a Colombian who doesn't have a contract in Europe yet, like German Chavez or maybe Miguel Florez.
User avatar DNP-Old

08 Aug 2015 14:30

Allowing world Tour riders to take part in Tour de l'Avenir is the dumbest decision ever.
Bushman

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2015 14:39

DNP-Old wrote:
Arredondo wrote:

Two reasons: I don't like WT riders participate in l'Avenir, and I'd like us to ride for a Colombian who doesn't have a contract in Europe yet, like German Chavez or maybe Miguel Florez.

I agree with you. But if you are sending a WT-rider, it's better to send a neo then someone who's already 2 years pro.

Why are they not sending Florez btw?
User avatar Arredondo
Veteran

Re:

08 Aug 2015 14:50

Bushman wrote:Allowing world Tour riders to take part in Tour de l'Avenir is the dumbest decision ever.
Care to explain? Why wouldnt Lopez and Latour be able to ride there, for instance? Or Robert Power?
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

Next

Return to Professional road racing