Register

Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re:

23 Aug 2016 08:24

Vino attacks everyone wrote:does anyone know how he is doing?

3 Broken Teeth, he's continuing
User avatar PremierAndrew

23 Aug 2016 12:51

User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

23 Aug 2016 13:23

He's going to get tired of sucking gels for three weeks ! I thought he had broken his collarbone the way he was holding his arm.
movingtarget
Veteran

25 Aug 2016 13:14

Sad to see him abandon, Cycling is a cruel sport. He would have been a major factor in the final week. Hopefully he gets the nod for the Giro next year so he can truly begin the takeover.
"He looks like an Egyptian mummy but he's riding like a king" - Matthew Keenan describing Alberto Contador
User avatar Pantani Attacks

25 Aug 2016 13:17

So what happened to him, did he crash yesterday as well?
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

25 Aug 2016 13:53

Escarabajo wrote:So what happened to him, did he crash yesterday as well?

He didn't, but he struggles to eat and drink since his crash on stage 2, so he's very tired. Today, the riders are gone full gas at the beginning of the stage so it was too difficult for Miguel Angel, sadly.

Edt : a nasty crash forced him to abandon today, it was too much for a man already injured : https://www.instagram.com/p/BJibqGZgjVV/
Isaak-Gabriel

25 Aug 2016 17:38

Tough luck for Lopez in his first GT, hopefully he gets fit again soon and can ride some races at the end of the year including Lombardia.
User avatar Ruudz0r

25 Aug 2016 17:58

He crashed today on stage 6 as well. Damn, not at all lucky.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

25 Aug 2016 18:04

Maybe its a bit of bike handling/nervousness as well. I don't know what is track record is regarding to crashes, but the crash on stage 3 was pretty stupid. Hope he bounces back!
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

25 Aug 2016 18:08

Thanks Isaak.

What he needs now is a good dentist.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

25 Aug 2016 18:51

He'll be back. Maybe win the first GT he completes ;)

25 Aug 2016 18:59

My guess is that he'll be leading the tour next year. If he can improve on his suisse form of this year, a top 5 should be witihn reach
Vino attacks everyone
Veteran

Re:

25 Aug 2016 19:01

Vino attacks everyone wrote:My guess is that he'll be leading the tour next year. If he can improve on his suisse form of this year, a top 5 should be witihn reach

He won't be going for GC in the Tour yet. If Aru goes to the Giro, Lopez will either go with him as back up or he'll go to the Tour to target stages and build form before co-leading the Vuelta with Aru

Re: Re:

25 Aug 2016 19:10

PremierAndrew wrote:
Vino attacks everyone wrote:My guess is that he'll be leading the tour next year. If he can improve on his suisse form of this year, a top 5 should be witihn reach

He won't be going for GC in the Tour yet. If Aru goes to the Giro, Lopez will either go with him as back up or he'll go to the Tour to target stages and build form before co-leading the Vuelta with Aru

Highly doubt Astana will show up to the tour without a single rider aiming for GC, so unless Birdsong magically get the abilities of a top gc rider I doubt Lopez can avoid a gc role in the tour.
Vino attacks everyone
Veteran

25 Aug 2016 19:11

Vino attacks everyone wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:

Highly doubt Astana will show up to the tour without a single rider aiming for GC, so unless Birdsong magically get the abilities of a top gc rider I doubt Lopez can avoid a gc role in the tour.

Why bother with a kid who's never finished a GT before when Vino can come out of retirement and ride for GC in the Tour?
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

25 Aug 2016 19:15

Red Rick wrote:
Vino attacks everyone wrote:
PremierAndrew wrote:

Why bother with a kid who's never finished a GT before when Vino can come out of retirement and ride for GC in the Tour?

I stnad corrected. This is obviously the route Astana will take for gts next year. Aru/Lopez for giro Vino/kash comeback for tour. 2 easy gt wins
Vino attacks everyone
Veteran

Re: Miguel Ángel Lopez Discussion Thread

25 Aug 2016 23:05

Feel so sorry for him
User avatar Poursuivant

25 Aug 2016 23:37

Valv.Piti wrote:Maybe its a bit of bike handling/nervousness as well. I don't know what is track record is regarding to crashes, but the crash on stage 3 was pretty stupid. Hope he bounces back!
He's young and started late, so his pack skills in particular are a bit lacking. He can handle descents alright tough, as he showed in Suisse.

Should get an eaaasy spot on the Colombia Road Race team, should he want it. Maybe even the TT spot? No one to work for too, apparently.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

26 Aug 2016 05:13

Don't think the pressure helped him. He's been hugely over hyped. Let him complete a GT first and then start discussing about a top 10 finish. Talking about him winning a GT is a joke. His best result is a Win in the tour de swisse which contained a lot of riders on poor form. All the riders he beat in Swisse didn't go on to have good TDFs. He also didn't win a stage.
User avatar Oliwright

26 Aug 2016 17:16

Oliwright wrote:Don't think the pressure helped him. He's been hugely over hyped. Let him complete a GT first and then start discussing about a top 10 finish. Talking about him winning a GT is a joke. His best result is a Win in the tour de swisse which contained a lot of riders on poor form. All the riders he beat in Swisse didn't go on to have good TDFs. He also didn't win a stage.

100% correct with this post - Form out of the Tour De Suisse has been shocking.
yaco

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing