Register

The Caleb Ewan Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

The Caleb Ewan Thread

26 Aug 2015 15:55

First GT stage win (beating Degenkolb and Sagan) at only 21 years of age. Quite a strong talent for the future this kid is. :)
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

26 Aug 2015 15:57

Good prospect.

Though I heard Gerrans will be mentoring him.
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

26 Aug 2015 16:07

Yet again another youngster that has been looked after very well from Orica, talented young riders are going to see this and it could really benefit all parties.

Really nice win today.
User avatar Pricey_sky

26 Aug 2015 18:17

No surprise at all at this win, he (and Michael Mathews) account for the lion's share of OGE's success. Good to see him playing with the big boys now.
User avatar wendybnt

Re: The Caleb Ewan Thread

26 Aug 2015 20:46

The fact that he won on an uphill sprint today made me suspiciously. Please don't be another gerrans
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

26 Aug 2015 20:51

He needs another stage win to set a record.
MatParker117

26 Aug 2015 21:02

Gigs_98 wrote:The fact that he won on an uphill sprint today made me suspiciously. Please don't be another gerrans

What do you mean exactly? Most people like "strongmen" over pure sprinters.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

26 Aug 2015 21:23

Jspear wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:The fact that he won on an uphill sprint today made me suspiciously. Please don't be another gerrans

Yeah but nobody likes gerrans who also isn't a pure sprinter. There are some parallels between these two riders and the fact that gerrans shall become Ewan's mentor makes me fear we will get the next wheelsucker.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

26 Aug 2015 21:32

Jspear wrote:

Not when all they do is wheelsuck to the finish every single time they race
User avatar PremierAndrew

26 Aug 2015 22:00

Ewan will be a bunch sprinter for now. He's more versatile than Kittel but he still won't be able to match the likes of Sagan, Matthews, Gerrans and even Cav on tough stages.

Don't worry too much, Ewan was "discovered" by Brad McGee, who lives in the same town and has been involved in his development since he was around 16. If you've seen Ewan race crits, or watched Aus Nationals this year, you'd see that he's not scared to attack when the time is right.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

27 Aug 2015 01:50

Ewan wasn't shy about attacking in the Australian Road Race Nationals this year.
spicelab
Newly Registered Member

27 Aug 2015 03:21

PremierAndrew wrote:
Jspear wrote:

Not when all they do is wheelsuck to the finish every single time they race

You need to sit and watch a Gerro highlight reel. He covers all bases and is an ultimate team rider. He often leads out guys like Mathews, Impey and Gossy when he was with OGE, he has been on just about every OGE team time trial win or placing in big races doing his fair share of pulling and has been on the front here in the Vuelta with Impey and Hayman to help Chavez.

Ewan has been on a great upward spiral and i like the way OGE are bringing him along. They put plenty of work into getting him after his great performances a few years back in the Bay Crits and have nurtured him along nice and slowly, letting him get wins with the team in the smaller races and gradually building to these bigger races. He says he won't be going the distance in this Vuelta which is smart also. Pretty sure we will be seeing him the TDF pretty soon, depending on how they decide to go with the Yates brothers.
Wilba60

27 Aug 2015 03:54

Hayman on Ewan's bike:
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (131.79 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

27 Aug 2015 06:04

Gigs_98 wrote:
Jspear wrote:

Yeah but nobody likes gerrans who also isn't a pure sprinter. There are some parallels between these two riders and the fact that gerrans shall become Ewan's mentor makes me fear we will get the next wheelsucker.

I think Gerrans is fantastic. the whingers go on and on about him being a wheelsucker; what abourt all the other sprinters?? He races smart and has the palmares to back it up; as for the whingers, if you could ride 1/2 as good as Gerran you'd be a formidable cyclist
markjohnconley

27 Aug 2015 10:13

I like Simon Gerrans and am often bewildered by why he gets such a hard time on here.

He is not the most exciting rider, but he rides with his head and his legs. He works when he needs to work. His job is to try to win, and he is very good at winning.

Caleb Ewan is really, really surprising me. That was a very impressive win yesterday.
barmaher

Re:

27 Aug 2015 13:23

barmaher wrote:I like Simon Gerrans and am often bewildered by why he gets such a hard time on here.

He is not the most exciting rider, but he rides with his head and his legs. He works when he needs to work. His job is to try to win, and he is very good at winning.

Caleb Ewan is really, really surprising me. That was a very impressive win yesterday.

But he does it by wheelsucking to the end. To make matters worse he has the ability and correct skill-set to win races like LBL or MSR where we really want attacking and exciting finales. If Gerrans is in contention at the end we often won't get one.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

27 Aug 2015 13:39

Well who cares about Gerrans. :p
Just because he's "mentoring" Ewan doesn't mean Ewan will end up like him. Besides, for the most part, Ewan will always be sprinting; which means he'll be hidden in the pack for most of the stage....surely we won't call that wheel sucking - it's just part of being a sprinter.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Re:

27 Aug 2015 15:34

Afrank wrote:
barmaher wrote:I like Simon Gerrans and am often bewildered by why he gets such a hard time on here.

But he does it by wheelsucking to the end. To make matters worse he has the ability and correct skill-set to win races like LBL or MSR where we really want attacking and exciting finales. If Gerrans is in contention at the end we often won't get one.

Valverde has been doing the same thing as Gerrans for even longer. As for Gerrans having the ability to win LBL or MSR well the only way he could win them is in a sprint which is what he did ! Name a rider that does not play to his strengths ? Does Froome try and win bunch sprints ? Does Cavendish try and win in a break ? The reason people don't like Gerrans is because he is successful, more successful than the some of the fans favourites. Gerrans used to win races in breakaways but once you start winning you are marked much closer. He always had a good sprint and now is just smart enough to know when to use it successfully. He also rides well in the TTT and often leads out sprints for other riders on his team. He is a more versatile rider than many others but tends to win in sprints and if other riders are willing to tow him to the finish instead of attacking him then that just shows how tactically naive some other riders are.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

27 Aug 2015 15:38

Jspear wrote:Well who cares about Gerrans. :p
Just because he's "mentoring" Ewan doesn't mean Ewan will end up like him. Besides, for the most part, Ewan will always be sprinting; which means he'll be hidden in the pack for most of the stage....surely we won't call that wheel sucking - it's just part of being a sprinter.

True, and this is the Ewan thread after all.

@movingtarget, I'm going to respond to your post in the Gerrans thread.
User avatar Afrank
Veteran

29 Aug 2015 11:35

Ewan was betting pro's in the bay crits when he was still learning to shave, you knew that he would one day be racing for the Green.

all he really needs from a mentor like Gerro is how to conserve energy over a long stage, who to watch and follow and someone to stop him burning himself out too early.
mherm79

Next

Return to Professional road racing