Register

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

19 May 2017 17:27

kingjr wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:
del1962 wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:I've already heard both the Spanish and Belgian DS say that the course in Bergen is rather easy. It's a race for the likes of Sagan, Kristoff and Matthews. Nando is certainly amongst those names.

I honestly think from what I have seen this Giro that his climbing is overrated, not on level of Matthews or Sagan, probably as good as Kristoff.

Kristoff's climbing level would be pretty good for Gaviria; Matthews' or Sagan's, I think that might be quite a stretch for him (can't see him ever doing what Sagan did at Tirreno this year, e.g.). But this is all speculation at this point. Has he won or come close to winning a race with a significant hill? Also, has he shown that he is capable of winning a moderately uphill sprint? These are actual questions BTW. I've only followed for the past couple of years, so I don't know anything about his career before that.
Does the one where he beat Ewan last year at Tirreno qualify as moderately uphill?

I'd need to look at that stage's profile again to be honest; but if Ewan was in it, I doubt that one would qualify.
AlexNYC

19 May 2017 17:29

AlexNYC wrote:
kingjr wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:
del1962 wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:I've already heard both the Spanish and Belgian DS say that the course in Bergen is rather easy. It's a race for the likes of Sagan, Kristoff and Matthews. Nando is certainly amongst those names.

I honestly think from what I have seen this Giro that his climbing is overrated, not on level of Matthews or Sagan, probably as good as Kristoff.

Kristoff's climbing level would be pretty good for Gaviria; Matthews' or Sagan's, I think that might be quite a stretch for him (can't see him ever doing what Sagan did at Tirreno this year, e.g.). But this is all speculation at this point. Has he won or come close to winning a race with a significant hill? Also, has he shown that he is capable of winning a moderately uphill sprint? These are actual questions BTW. I've only followed for the past couple of years, so I don't know anything about his career before that.
Does the one where he beat Ewan last year at Tirreno qualify as moderately uphill?

I'd need to look at that stage's profile again to be honest; but if Ewan was in it, I doubt that one would qualify.
Here's the final

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4BvuR8z--o
kingjr

19 May 2017 17:31

Going to the Tour after finishing the Giro is definitely overkill, should ride a couple of weeks in La Vuelta instead and try to win in Bergen.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

19 May 2017 17:39

Gav was never scheduled to do Tour. I think that quote by lefevere is either made up or just a misunderstanding.
User avatar Vroome.exe

19 May 2017 17:39

Escarabajo wrote:
Ikbengodniet wrote:
yaco wrote:
del1962 wrote:Should go to the tour, but probably wont

No he shouldn't - First he is a second year pro, so it's too difficult for him to do back-to-back tours - Second ES have set their plans in stone for the TDF,so need to change - Remember ES wouldn't allow Gibert to ride PR even though he is in rare form - ES is one of the top teams because they place their riders well and have an excellent team spirit.

Lefevere already confirmed Gaviria, Kittel, Brambilla, Jungels and Martin for the tour at the start of the season.

I didn't read that anywhere.

The plan was always for Gaviria to go his first GT at the Giro and then Vuelta.

Do you have a link?

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/952/Wielrennen/article/detail/3052275/2017/01/11/Quick-Step-Floors-kent-al-halve-Tourploeg-en-zet-zowel-in-Omloop-Ronde-als-Primavera-in-op-zowel-Boonen-als-Gilbert.dhtml

It is in dutch, belgium newspaper.

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/dan-martin-named-as-one-of-five-riders-on-quick-step-floors-tour-de-france-team/

English link.
Ikbengodniet

19 May 2017 18:17

Wow, only just saw the overhead video.That was an amazing finish. He is certainly proving he's worthy of a place at the big guns table.
Son of Amsterhammer

20 May 2017 10:48

Mr.White wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:
Mr.White wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:Points jersey is not a goal for him. He wants to win at least three stages though.

Well it seems that winning one will be a task for him, let alone three...

:o

:D

Or four!

This guy is special...
User avatar huangho

20 May 2017 12:03

Ikbengodniet wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:
Ikbengodniet wrote:
yaco wrote:
del1962 wrote:Should go to the tour, but probably wont

No he shouldn't - First he is a second year pro, so it's too difficult for him to do back-to-back tours - Second ES have set their plans in stone for the TDF,so need to change - Remember ES wouldn't allow Gibert to ride PR even though he is in rare form - ES is one of the top teams because they place their riders well and have an excellent team spirit.

Lefevere already confirmed Gaviria, Kittel, Brambilla, Jungels and Martin for the tour at the start of the season.

I didn't read that anywhere.

The plan was always for Gaviria to go his first GT at the Giro and then Vuelta.

Do you have a link?

http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/952/Wielrennen/article/detail/3052275/2017/01/11/Quick-Step-Floors-kent-al-halve-Tourploeg-en-zet-zowel-in-Omloop-Ronde-als-Primavera-in-op-zowel-Boonen-als-Gilbert.dhtml

It is in dutch, belgium newspaper.

http://www.thebikecomesfirst.com/dan-martin-named-as-one-of-five-riders-on-quick-step-floors-tour-de-france-team/

English link.

Just look at the article from the main page today where Lefevere said that he won't ride the Tour in 2017.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-history-maker-fernando-gaviria/
User avatar Akuryo

20 May 2017 17:04

Great stuff by Fernando this Giro. His huge points lead reminds me Sagan's at the Tour. I think we will see some great point battles at TDF between Gav and Sagi and I think Gav could steal some greens from Sagan.
Keram

Re:

20 May 2017 18:13

Keram wrote:Great stuff by Fernando this Giro. His huge points lead reminds me Sagan's at the Tour. I think we will see some great point battles at TDF between Gav and Sagi and I think Gav could steal some greens from Sagan.

I am probably one of Gavirias biggest fanboys here but even I know that he was the only one really going for those intermediate points. Getting 4 stages surely did help a lot but we will have to see if he also can get points on mountain stages like Sagan does so often.
User avatar Akuryo

21 May 2017 01:41

Gaviria not happy with Teklehaimanot. Berating him and not letting him go in the break.

The commentators suggested it is because he is a danger to the points jersey. This is complete rubbish. Mathematically, Teklehaimanot could take every intermediate sprint and he would not get close to the points jersey AND secondly Teklehaimanot is going for the intermediate sprints competition and the fuga Pinarello competition (two completely separate competitions to the points jersey).

It looked like nasty and personal.
User avatar wirral

21 May 2017 12:40

In the break today. We might see him really test himself on some tough climbs today
Bushman

Re:

21 May 2017 12:47

wirral wrote:Gaviria not happy with Teklehaimanot. Berating him and not letting him go in the break.

The commentators suggested it is because he is a danger to the points jersey. This is complete rubbish. Mathematically, Teklehaimanot could take every intermediate sprint and he would not get close to the points jersey AND secondly Teklehaimanot is going for the intermediate sprints competition and the fuga Pinarello competition (two completely separate competitions to the points jersey).

Yeah, I don't quite know what that was all about. Should let that one go..

Bushman: Indeed - we have not seen it on this level really before, maybe he can pull something off similar to what Sagan did in Gap, altho this is IMO a more demanding stage.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

21 May 2017 16:40

wirral wrote:Gaviria not happy with Teklehaimanot. Berating him and not letting him go in the break.

In the Colombian transmission they said that Gav and Teklehaimanot have had a argue early in the Giro, not telling the particulars but, yes, probably is personal.
diego721

Re:

21 May 2017 21:53

roundabout wrote:I wish that there was a forum like this in 1999. Poor Casper did not get the hype he deserved.
Just getting around to asking but Jimmy Casper? Always liked him. Well liked is a strong word (he was a bit prickly IIRC), but there was an irrational confidence about him that I found fun.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

26 May 2017 11:33

Got to admit, that looks pretty nice. Barring accidents he should have the jersey in the bag.
User avatar Akuryo

26 May 2017 13:29

And on that topic: The ciclamino jersey looks infinitely better than the awful red one. I'm normally not a fan of the blue one having taken over for the green climber's jersey, but I have to say that it looks awesome on Landa when combined with the Sky kit.
User avatar Squire

28 May 2017 16:38

Safely finished the job. What a GT-debut it was. When was the last time someone won the classification in his first try? Guidi in 96, right?
User avatar Akuryo

Re:

28 May 2017 17:30

Akuryo wrote:Safely finished the job. What a GT-debut it was. When was the last time someone won the classification in his first try? Guidi in 96, right?
Greg Van Avermaet did it in Vuelta 2008.
User avatar Popchu

28 May 2017 17:41

Gaviria definitely someone that can win all three points jerseys.

Cav got lucky because nowadays it's a lot harder for a pure sprinter to win the points jersey in the Vuelta. Sagan should also make it a goal one of these days.
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing