Register

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Re:

27 Feb 2017 20:55

Valv.Piti wrote:So I assume he will be back to racing in Europe in T-A after his little adventure in Colombia... or maybe even Strade Bianche?!

No, Tirreno.
User avatar DNP-Old

27 Feb 2017 20:58

Tirreno starts in his new hometown, Lido di Camaiore, for what it's worth.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re: Re:

01 Mar 2017 17:28

DNP-Old wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:So I assume he will be back to racing in Europe in T-A after his little adventure in Colombia... or maybe even Strade Bianche?!

No, Tirreno.

AS expected then. There are 2 sprinter stages, but its not your typical completely flat ones. Both look very good for Gaviria.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

13 Mar 2017 19:23

Great interview on CN today. Some quotes I liked:

"I saw that my bike was first over the line, so I knew I’d won but then I actually said sorry to Peter because I didn’t work on the descent. I don’t usually race negatively like that but we had Niki up front. We decided to play an extra card with Niki and that forced Sagan to respond and so use a bit of energy.

I like that attitude. He is not your typical sprinter, but his team and his top end speed is his advantages on Sagan. And it will be on Saturday as well.

"When you ride against a rider as strong as Sagan there’s nothing that is in your favour. Peter’s so strong that he could attack on the Poggio and win alone," he warned.

Clearly a lot of respect for Sagan and its mutual from Sagan who said Gaviria simply was stronger.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

13 Mar 2017 19:28

That's really nice!
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

13 Mar 2017 21:34

So that's what they were chatting about after the finish line! I thought it was somewhat unusual that the winner and the defeated one would chat so casually like that just after finishing but Sagan is probably so relaxed at the moment after his so many successes recently that he does not mind being defeated from time to time as long as the winner played it fair which seems to be the case here. I can't wait for all their future battles and just hope Gaviria develops into real attacking rider and not just mere sprint option for QS.
PeterB

Re:

13 Mar 2017 21:48

PeterB wrote:So that's what they were chatting about after the finish line! I thought it was somewhat unusual that the winner and the defeated one would chat so casually like that just after finishing but Sagan is probably so relaxed at the moment after his so many successes recently that he does not mind being defeated from time to time as long as the winner played it fair which seems to be the case here. I can't wait for all their future battles and just hope Gaviria develops into real attacking rider and not just mere sprint option for QS.

Cause both are some of the classiest and most talented riders in the world. Embrace the Sagan/Gaviria era - and GVA when its a little more difficult. :p
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

13 Mar 2017 21:50

I just thought they were chatting about who won. :p
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

13 Mar 2017 22:02

RedheadDane wrote:I just thought they were chatting about who won. :p
"You won." - "No I think you won." - "No no you won" - "I'm pretty sure you were ahead." - "Are you sure it wasn't your wheel ahead?" :p
PeterB

18 Mar 2017 16:40

Good ride for 5th, considering the fact that he crashed on Thursday.

Hope he wins it next year.
User avatar the asian

18 Mar 2017 16:52

He looked really strong on the climbs but his positioning was bad, he started both Cipressa and Poggio in the middle of the peloton and then made his way to the front with ease. I guess if he was a little bit better positioned he could have gone with Sagan. To me it looks like Gav got in shape just at the right moment so he should be very strong in a cobbled classics.
User avatar Vroome.exe

18 Mar 2017 16:56

Doubt he'll do well in the cobbled classics so early in his career.

I'm hoping he targets Amstel next. The new route should be in his favour.
User avatar the asian

18 Mar 2017 17:40

Gaviria already did very well in cobbled races like Dwars door Vlaanderen and Gent Wevelgem last year. He could very well win the latter if it came down to a bunch sprint. With Paris - Roubaix being his dream race, he won't give up on it quickly.

I just hope his wrist injury isn't too severe because racing on cobbles with an injured wrist can be dangerous.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

18 Mar 2017 17:49

DNP-Old wrote:Gaviria already did very well in cobbled races like Dwars door Vlaanderen and Gent Wevelgem last year. He could very well win the latter if it came down to a bunch sprint. With Paris - Roubaix being his dream race, he won't give up on it quickly.

I just hope his wrist injury isn't too severe because racing on cobbles with an injured wrist can be dangerous.

I certainly meant Ronde & PR.

Before his wrist injury i was hoping he wins GW.

Agree with you that racing on cobbles with a injured wrist is dangerous.
User avatar the asian

Re:

18 Mar 2017 19:54

Vroome.exe wrote:He looked really strong on the climbs but his positioning was bad, he started both Cipressa and Poggio in the middle of the peloton and then made his way to the front with ease. I guess if he was a little bit better positioned he could have gone with Sagan. To me it looks like Gav got in shape just at the right moment so he should be very strong in a cobbled classics.

Are you joking? Van Avermaet, Gilbert and other puncheurs couldn't go with him, Alaphilippe and Kwiat hang on for dear life, and you think Gaviria could have gone with him?! :surprised: You're overestimating this guy
User avatar Mr.White

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2017 20:08

Mr.White wrote:
Vroome.exe wrote:He looked really strong on the climbs but his positioning was bad, he started both Cipressa and Poggio in the middle of the peloton and then made his way to the front with ease. I guess if he was a little bit better positioned he could have gone with Sagan. To me it looks like Gav got in shape just at the right moment so he should be very strong in a cobbled classics.

Are you joking? Van Avermaet, Gilbert and other puncheurs couldn't go with him, Alaphilippe and Kwiat hang on for dear life, and you think Gaviria could have gone with him?! :surprised: You're overestimating this guy

Gaviria navigated through the pack on Poggio really well and was second coming to the descent. If he was in Dege's position it wouldn't be impossible.
User avatar Vroome.exe

18 Mar 2017 20:18

Just read on the main page that his saddle was loose since Cipressa and they did not have the time to change it :D
User avatar Akuryo

Previous

Return to Professional road racing