Register

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

19 May 2017 15:20

B-b-b-but his team. :sad:
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

19 May 2017 15:31

DNP-Old wrote:B-b-b-but his team. :sad:

b-b-b-but it is all about the leadout he has
User avatar gospina

19 May 2017 15:42

All hail Fernando, king of sprints!
User avatar Akuryo

19 May 2017 15:51

We were blessed with Cav; now it's time for Gav!
DanielSong39

Re: Re:

19 May 2017 15:54

Akuryo wrote:
yaco wrote:
Akuryo wrote:Who knows, Lefevere still hasn't secured sponsoring for next year. And even if he does, will he pay two sprinters? He likes to win everywhere and not just sprints. Gaviria AND Kittel may be too expensive for the rest of the team.

Kittel is the pure sprinter while Gaviria will be just as good in the classics as in sprinting. They are different riders.

Sure, but Kittel was a bargain, cause he wanted to go away from Giant at the end of 2015. That was the main reason QS got him and send Cav away. They are (in flat sprints) almost equally good but Kittel was a lot cheaper. That contract is set to expire now. Can or will Lefevere keep a one trick pony when you have Gaviria, who potentially can do it all?

Also Gaviria is still riding on his neo-pro contract this year. So to keep them both Quickstep would have to give both a (massive) raise. I just don't think they can afford both in 2018.

Of course finances will play a factor as well as LeFevre finding new sponsorship. Kittel is not quite a one trick pony as he was part of ES winning TT squad at the 2016 World Championship's - What could change things is if QS continue to put more resources into GC aspirations with riders like Jungels and Martin.
yaco

19 May 2017 16:00

Should go to the tour, but probably wont
del1962
Veteran

Re:

19 May 2017 16:05

del1962 wrote:Should go to the tour, but probably wont

Disagree. He should finish the Giro and win the ciclamino jersey, then rest up for the late season and go for the rainbow jersey.
User avatar Squire

Re:

19 May 2017 16:09

No he shouldn't - First he is a second year pro, so it's too difficult for him to do back-to-back tours - Second ES have set their plans in stone for the TDF,so need to change - Remember ES wouldn't allow Gibert to ride PR even though he is in rare form - ES is one of the top teams because they place their riders well and have an excellent team spirit.
yaco

19 May 2017 16:27

Squire wrote:

Disagree. He should finish the Giro and win the ciclamino jersey, then rest up for the late season and go for the rainbow jersey.

Get a couple Vuelta wins first and then leave early to prep for the Worlds imo.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

19 May 2017 16:28

Squire wrote:

He should finish the Giro yes, but he wont survive climbs in the worlds, he will most likely win tour stages though
del1962
Veteran

19 May 2017 16:39

del1962 wrote:
Squire wrote:

He should finish the Giro yes, but he wont survive climbs in the worlds, he will most likely win tour stages though

What makes you think he wouldn't survive the climbs? He's arguably one of the best climbing sprinters out there, if not the best.
Last edited by DNP-Old on 19 May 2017 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar DNP-Old

19 May 2017 16:41

DNP-Old wrote:
del1962 wrote:
Squire wrote:

What makes you think he wouldn't survive the climbs? He's arguably the best climbing sprinter out there.

What I have seen of his climbing in the Giro, his sprinting lives up to the hype, his climbing seems to be overrated by some
del1962
Veteran

19 May 2017 16:44

del1962 wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:
del1962 wrote:
Squire wrote:

What makes you think he wouldn't survive the climbs? He's arguably the best climbing sprinter out there.

What I have seen of his climbing in the Giro, his sprinting lives up to the hype, his climbing seems to be overrated by some

It's not like he's had to use his climbing talents this Giro. The stages are either flat or too tough for any sprinter. And he went very good on Mt. Etna.
User avatar DNP-Old

19 May 2017 16:49

I've already heard both the Spanish and Belgian DS say that the course in Bergen is rather easy. It's a race for the likes of Sagan, Kristoff and Matthews. Nando is certainly amongst those names.
User avatar DNP-Old

19 May 2017 17:01

yaco wrote:

No he shouldn't - First he is a second year pro, so it's too difficult for him to do back-to-back tours - Second ES have set their plans in stone for the TDF,so need to change - Remember ES wouldn't allow Gibert to ride PR even though he is in rare form - ES is one of the top teams because they place their riders well and have an excellent team spirit.

Lefevere already confirmed Gaviria, Kittel, Brambilla, Jungels and Martin for the tour at the start of the season.
Ikbengodniet

Re:

19 May 2017 17:02

DNP-Old wrote:I've already heard both the Spanish and Belgian DS say that the course in Bergen is rather easy. It's a race for the likes of Sagan, Kristoff and Matthews. Nando is certainly amongst those names.

I honestly think from what I have seen this Giro that his climbing is overrated, not on level of Matthews or Sagan, probably as good as Kristoff.
del1962
Veteran

19 May 2017 17:07

Almost 73 km/h ... looking at that sprint I think no one else even hit 70 :D
User avatar Akuryo

19 May 2017 17:19

del1962 wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:I've already heard both the Spanish and Belgian DS say that the course in Bergen is rather easy. It's a race for the likes of Sagan, Kristoff and Matthews. Nando is certainly amongst those names.

I honestly think from what I have seen this Giro that his climbing is overrated, not on level of Matthews or Sagan, probably as good as Kristoff.

Kristoff's climbing level would be pretty good for Gaviria; Matthews' or Sagan's, I think that might be quite a stretch for him (can't see him ever doing what Sagan did at Tirreno this year, e.g.). But this is all speculation at this point. Has he won or come close to winning a race with a significant hill? Also, has he shown that he is capable of winning a moderately uphill sprint? These are actual questions BTW. I've only followed him for the past couple of years, so I don't know anything about his career before that.
AlexNYC

19 May 2017 17:22

AlexNYC wrote:
del1962 wrote:

Kristoff's climbing level would be pretty good for Gaviria; Matthews' or Sagan's, I think that might be quite a stretch for him (can't see him ever doing what Sagan did at Tirreno this year, e.g.). But this is all speculation at this point. Has he won or come close to winning a race with a significant hill? Also, has he shown that he is capable of winning a moderately uphill sprint? These are actual questions BTW. I've only followed for the past couple of years, so I don't know anything about his career before that.
Does the one where he beat Ewan last year at Tirreno qualify as moderately uphill?
kingjr

19 May 2017 17:23

Ikbengodniet wrote:
yaco wrote:

Lefevere already confirmed Gaviria, Kittel, Brambilla, Jungels and Martin for the tour at the start of the season.

I didn't read that anywhere.

The plan was always for Gaviria to go his first GT at the Giro and then Vuelta.

Do you have a link?
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing