Register

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

29 Jun 2017 09:54

portugal11 wrote:
Tonton wrote:
jmdirt wrote:His boss said that he can't be a big rider in an international sport if he doesn't speak English!

He probably meant "endorsements"...

Cav is getting old, so is Greipel, le beau Marcel has a few years left but other than that, Gaviria has a huge upside, he's set to dominate sprints for the years to come. His only possible rival, IMO, could be Demare.

Demare? :surprised: :surprised:
Good joke :D gaviria is 22 years old and has already 4 gt wins meanwhile demare has.... zero... but gaviria was the reason why demare won milan san remo

This. Démare?? I can think of several sprinters more likely to rival Gav in the future.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

29 Jun 2017 11:08

Gaviria's main rival will be sagan, no doubt about that. Sagan is one year older than demare
portugal11

29 Jun 2017 12:11

Ewan is no match for Gav. I think Démare and Sagan very well could be his chief rivals, maybe along with Groenewegen. This Tour might tell a lot.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

29 Jun 2017 15:43

Gav will still be lighting it up in the sprint stages. Kittel will be a huge rival for a couple more years.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

29 Jun 2017 17:14

Jspear wrote:Gav will still be lighting it up in the sprint stages. Kittel will be a huge rival for a couple more years.

Funny thing is, will they really ever be rivals? Gav is set to stay at QS and Kittel also said he would like to stay. Gaviria has said multiple times that he dreams of winning Roubaix. If he really becomes a classics rider, their schedule won't interfere very often. Look at Boonen, who was a more than capable sprinter in his early days but rather quickly changed his focus to winning classics only. He was never really interested in the Tour in his later years. If it is the same with Gaviria, Kittel and the Colombian could actually stay teammates for a while. Cause the only 2 races Kittel really cares about are the Tour and the Kittelprijs in April.
User avatar Akuryo

29 Jun 2017 17:31

Akuryo wrote:
Jspear wrote:Gav will still be lighting it up in the sprint stages. Kittel will be a huge rival for a couple more years.

Funny thing is, will they really ever be rivals? Gav is set to stay at QS and Kittel also said he would like to stay. Gaviria has said multiple times that he dreams of winning Roubaix. If he really becomes a classics rider, their schedule won't interfere very often. Look at Boonen, who was a more than capable sprinter in his early days but rather quickly changed his focus to winning classics only. He was never really interested in the Tour in his later years. If it is the same with Gaviria, Kittel and the Colombian could actually stay teammates for a while. Cause the only 2 races Kittel really cares about are the Tour and the Kittelprijs in April.

Yeah time will tell. Gav just seems so fast right now that at some point him and Kittel are going to butt heads. But it's true....Gva is still developing. We shall see what he becomes.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

10 Jul 2017 22:13

So, just to try to prompt some race-day banter: Cav was out and is now even more out. Greipel is either having a bit of an off year or is sadly fading slightly, though he has a real chance tomorrow. Demare has the speed, but after impressing at MSR last year, all of the sudden can't get up over a hill with half of Savoie prodding him up*. Ewan's progressing nicely but still looks as though he's barely been through 22 springs. Dege and Kristoff are more classics riders than GT sprinters nowadays, having one one GT stage between since 2014.

Does Quickstep have the world's two best sprinters right now? As in, if you could draft a sprinter right now for the Vuelta, you'd take them both off the board first, right?

*I kid. He fought valiantly to make the time cut and I have no evidence he was pushed.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

Re:

10 Jul 2017 22:30

carton wrote:So, just to try to prompt some race-day banter: Cav was out and is now even more out. Greipel is either having a bit of an off year or is sadly fading slightly, though he has a real chance tomorrow. Demare has the speed, but after impressing at MSR last year, all of the sudden can't get up over a hill with half of Savoie prodding him up*. Ewan's progressing nicely but still looks as though he's barely been through 22 springs. Dege and Kristoff are more classics riders than GT sprinters nowadays, having one one GT stage between since 2014.

Does Quickstep have the world's two best sprinters right now? As in, if you could draft a sprinter right now for the Vuelta, you'd take them both off the board first, right?
Funny to read the previous posts :p ...

Kittel is the best sprinter in the world right now, and he has been for several years...I'd like to see ten Gaviria vs. Demare and see who is #2, who is #3. I think that jaylew and portugal11 will now agree :p . it's close.

Greipel has lost something...Ewan is definitely a threat and up[coming. Cav is done but still fast and fearless. After them, there's a gap...

My $0.02 and rubbing it in on my two friends ;) .

*I kid. He fought valiantly to make the time cut and I have no evidence he was pushed.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

Re:

10 Jul 2017 22:34

carton wrote:So, just to try to prompt some race-day banter: Cav was out and is now even more out. Greipel is either having a bit of an off year or is sadly fading slightly, though he has a real chance tomorrow. Demare has the speed, but after impressing at MSR last year, all of the sudden can't get up over a hill with half of Savoie prodding him up*. Ewan's progressing nicely but still looks as though he's barely been through 22 springs. Dege and Kristoff are more classics riders than GT sprinters nowadays, having one one GT stage between since 2014.

Did you watch stage three of this years tour?
User avatar The_Beach

10 Jul 2017 23:07

The_Beach wrote:Did you watch stage three of this years tour?
The one where he was sixth on a 1.6km at 5.8% slope? Yes. It was impressive. It makes it even more puzzling that he couldn't get over the same (proper) hills that Kittel managed to crest.

But I would definitely put Demare in the fight. He's definitely won bigger things than Gaviria so far. I was just rapping on Nono because the jokes wrote themselves. But he didn't clear up doubts about his top-level consistency, particularly his GT consistency, yesterday.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

10 Jul 2017 23:14

carton wrote:
The_Beach wrote:Did you watch stage three of this years tour?
The one where he was sixth on a 1.6km at 5.8% slope? Yes. It was impressive. It makes it even more puzzling that he couldn't get over the same (proper) hills that Kittel managed to crest.

But I would definitely put Demare in the fight. I was just rapping on Nono because the jokes wrote themselves. But he didn't clear up doubts about his top-level consistency, particularly his GT consistency, yesterday.

He has been sick for the last couple of days, hence the bad climbing performances.
User avatar The_Beach

11 Jul 2017 21:09

I've said it since the start of 2017 that I thought Quick Step had the worlds 2 best sprinters on their squad. Both have dominated their respective GC, being at least one class above everyone else. Waiting for a confirmation of that in the fall by Gaviria.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

21 Jul 2017 13:22

QuickStep reports that Fernando Gaviria has undergone surgery for a hematoma on his leg, and will return to racing later than expected.
Thats not nice. :Neutral:
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

21 Jul 2017 15:25

"While training in Colombia for a high-speed sprint, just as he was preparing to launch his powerful acceleration, Fernando's left foot unclipped and the pedal hit his calf muscle, an incident resulting in a hematoma which required surgery, that the 22-year-old underwent on Wednesday afternoon, in Medellin.

Fernando Gaviria, who took four stages and the coveted maglia ciclamino at the 100th edition of the Giro d'Italia, in May, will now have to rest for a few days, before returning to training and then traveling back to Europe in a couple of weeks. The Colombian's new racing schedule for the last part of the season will be decided and communicated in the upcoming weeks."

- The full statement of QST.
User avatar Akuryo

30 Jul 2017 10:31

Does anyone know when he'll be back ?
User avatar the asian

Re:

01 Aug 2017 06:59

the asian wrote:Does anyone know when he'll be back ?

He doesn't even know himself. He'll fly to Europe in 10 days and from there they'll work on his comeback.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re: Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

13 Aug 2017 07:07

Any news about him?
User avatar Oliver

Re: Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

13 Aug 2017 13:27

Oliver wrote:Any news about him?

Back in training in Italy, but not much else.
User avatar DNP-Old

19 Aug 2017 09:21

Looks like he'll make his comeback next week in Plouay.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

19 Aug 2017 10:15

DNP-Old wrote:Looks like he'll make his comeback next week in Plouay.
He is announced to ride Omloop Mandel-Leie-Schelde too, the day before Plouay. This is a 1.1 race close to the headquarters of QuickStep. I don't know if this info is correct, because the combination with Plouay seems rather hard (especially the transfer from Belgium to Plouay).
User avatar Popchu

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing