Register

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

19 Aug 2017 10:31

DNP-Old wrote:Looks like he'll make his comeback next week in Plouay.

If he is back at his best he surely is one of the favorites, but that's a big if.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

24 Aug 2017 12:12

User avatar Akuryo

Re:

24 Aug 2017 18:48

He also rode GP Van Impe today.
User avatar liamito

31 Aug 2017 05:26

He has crashed again... This time in Geraardsbergen. His knee hurts and QuickStep doctors are saying that the worlds in Bergen are a race against time.
User avatar DNP-Old

31 Aug 2017 06:29

Ffs.
User avatar jsem94

Re: Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

31 Aug 2017 07:33

Here is a bit more info: http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20170830_03044096

Not looking too good unfortunately.
User avatar fauniera

31 Aug 2017 15:39

Quickstep just announced him for their roster in the Tour of Britain and he said he aims for a stage win...
User avatar Akuryo

Re:

31 Aug 2017 16:59

Akuryo wrote:Quickstep just announced him for their roster in the Tour of Britain and he said he aims for a stage win...

Which they probably made a few days ago, if not yesterday before the crash. Lefevere is pretty clear: at this moment he is not ready and reaching and being able to ride Britain is vital.
User avatar DNP-Old

06 Sep 2017 16:16

Already back to winning. It was an amazing leadout and still very close in the end but his form is getting better every day. :)
User avatar Akuryo

06 Sep 2017 17:24

this gaviria will likely prevent sagan for dominate green jersey in the next tour de france
User avatar telencefalus

06 Sep 2017 18:08

I wonder how he will perform in the world RR ? Think he's limited preparation will see him struggle in the race ?
yaco

Re:

06 Sep 2017 18:58

Akuryo wrote:Already back to winning. It was an amazing leadout and still very close in the end but his form is getting better every day. :)

Good to see the speed has pretty much returned, but my concern with him right now is the fact that in the last 4 months, he has only surpassed the 200km barrier once. He might lack endurance in Bergen, especially if it'll be rainy and cold.
User avatar DNP-Old

06 Sep 2017 19:06

I don't think he will be nearly good enough to do something considering the small injuries. You need everything to go right in the prep in order to win IMO.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

06 Sep 2017 20:04

In the recent interview on CN he also specifically addresses the fact that he is afraid of the length of the Worlds in Bergen as he should be considering he hasn't raced much.. but maybe the Colombian climbing domestiques can help him out :D
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

07 Sep 2017 06:44

Valv.Piti wrote:In the recent interview on CN he also specifically addresses the fact that he is afraid of the length of the Worlds in Bergen as he should be considering he hasn't raced much.. but maybe the Colombian climbing domestiques can help him out :D

yeah that's really a strange decision to bring all these climbers to a classic race , poor Gaviria he has to do all by himself
User avatar telencefalus

Re: Re:

07 Sep 2017 07:35

telencefalus wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:In the recent interview on CN he also specifically addresses the fact that he is afraid of the length of the Worlds in Bergen as he should be considering he hasn't raced much.. but maybe the Colombian climbing domestiques can help him out :D

yeah that's really a strange decision to bring all these climbers to a classic race , poor Gaviria he has to do all by himself
Of course it's not the best decision to bring only climbers to help Gaviria in Bergen, but who where the other options from Colombia? Certainly Restrepo with his early 2017 form, but the last weeks he only has DNF's and DNS's so the form isn't exactly there. Avila maybe, but does he has the quality to help Gaviria on the highest level? Molano same question. I don't know much about the Colombian domestic cycling scene, maybe there are some useful domestiques for Gaviria?
User avatar Popchu

Re: Re:

07 Sep 2017 19:44

Popchu wrote:
telencefalus wrote:

Of course it's not the best decision to bring only climbers to help Gaviria in Bergen, but who where the other options from Colombia? Certainly Restrepo with his early 2017 form, but the last weeks he only has DNF's and DNS's so the form isn't exactly there. Avila maybe, but does he has the quality to help Gaviria on the highest level? Molano same question. I don't know much about the Colombian domestic cycling scene, maybe there are some useful domestiques for Gaviria?

Yes, definitely. Of course, when the going gets tough, they are all pretty much useless, but they can really help Gaviria in the first 2/3 of the race. Keeping him out of the wind, getting water bottles, etc. Take Weimar Roldan, he is perfect for any route. He is as versatile as they come. Obviously, his level is much lower, but he can do everything. He can climb to some extent, he has speed, he has the relative big engine. For some weird, odd reason, he hasn't been selected once in his life. Instead, Jaramillo (Carlos) opts to select Cala (.....), Cano, Jaramillo (Daniel), effing Carlos Alzate, e.g. throughout the years. They used some other useful doms last year in Qatar. Walter Vargas and especially Omar Mendoza are huge in terms of build. They are also both time trialists, who can help Gaviria with the before mentioned water bottles, keeping him out of the wind... They won't play any role whatsoever when the race is actually being made, but they could do a tremendous job in the first 2/3 of the race.

The sad fact is that Gaviria's best helper is an Argentine.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

07 Sep 2017 20:20

Valv.Piti wrote:I don't think he will be nearly good enough to do something considering the small injuries. You need everything to go right in the prep in order to win IMO.

Unless you're the man in my avatar. :)
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 07:43

The next days are packed with a lot of racing for Gaviria: he's scheduled to ride GP de Wallonie (212K and normally a bit too heavy for him), Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen (one for the sprinters) en Primus Classic (which he won last year). He'll need those kilometers for the World Championship in Bergen.
User avatar Popchu

Re:

13 Sep 2017 14:12

Popchu wrote:The next days are packed with a lot of racing for Gaviria: he's scheduled to ride GP de Wallonie (212K and normally a bit too heavy for him), Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen (one for the sprinters) en Primus Classic (which he won last year). He'll need those kilometers for the World Championship in Bergen.

Thats great, maybe he miraculously can rediscover his Giro-form from riding TOB and those 3 classics. Lets hope for no setbacks and then he will be a serious threat!
User avatar Valv.Piti

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing