Register

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

13 Sep 2017 18:34

Dropped like a stone from lead group on the hill at Wallonie, it does not bode well for WC.
PunchingRouleur

15 Sep 2017 15:14

Just won Kampioenschap van Vlaanderen.
User avatar DNP-Old

15 Sep 2017 16:25

But that is an easy race, comparative to Wallonie.

I do not think he will survive the hills of Bergen, but who knows.
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

15 Sep 2017 16:35

Must be nice to have a train that makes sure a couple of your opponents crash out before the finish.
kingjr

Re:

15 Sep 2017 17:59

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:

Hills? What hills?
User avatar fauniera

Re: Re:

15 Sep 2017 18:06

Image*12
AQETUYIOI

Re:

15 Sep 2017 18:08

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:But that is an easy race, comparative to Wallonie.

A pure sprinter winning in a city called Bergen, now that just seems wrong.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

15 Sep 2017 18:50

Still very skeptical about his chances, but he is a special rider, so he might be able to pull a rabbit.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

16 Sep 2017 12:35

Gaviria condition is not good for the world and that's a pity but for the future he will suprass Sagan in the next 3 years ,
User avatar telencefalus

24 Sep 2017 17:37

Pretty amazing how he turned from **** to beast in something like a week. Could have won if he hadn't attacked. PR 2018 champion.
User avatar Vroome.exe

24 Sep 2017 17:54

Yeah he is a pretty special talent, Brian Holm always is praising him a ton but said he didn't believe he really would feature in this Worlds, said it was 2 weeks too soon with injuries and all. Just being in that selective group speaks voumes. With better tactics he probably would have gotten medal, I don't see a world where he would beat Sagan and Kristoff today. They were super strong.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

24 Sep 2017 18:02

Valv.Piti wrote:Yeah he is a pretty special talent, Brian Holm always is praising him a ton but said he didn't believe he really would feature in this Worlds, said it was 2 weeks too soon with injuries and all. Just being in that selective group speaks voumes. With better tactics he probably would have gotten medal, I don't see a world where he would beat Sagan and Kristoff today. They were super strong.
I'm not so sure of that, to be honest. He did already a huge effort to catch Gilbert and closed gaps on Lutsenko and Cort. If he just followed wheels, like Sagan did, and had a good position to start the sprint, he could have beaten Sagan.

But indeed, very impressive to be there after +250 kilometers with only a few weeks of training in the legs.
User avatar Popchu

24 Sep 2017 19:24

Maybe, but remember Sagan also closed a gap.. too bad there really aren't that many races left on the calendar now that he finally has hit the shape. Lets hope he doesn't have to deal with rotten luck next year.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

24 Sep 2017 19:35

Valv.Piti wrote:Maybe, but remember Sagan also closed a gap.. too bad there really aren't that many races left on the calendar now that he finally has hit the shape. Lets hope he doesn't have to deal with rotten luck next year.

Paris Tours is a suitable race and he is riding the Tour of Guangxi.
yaco

24 Sep 2017 19:38

I think Gaviria is the reason Sagan will never win MSR. Unless Le Manie will be brought back.
I think he is really special.
User avatar SKSemtex

24 Sep 2017 19:53

yaco wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Maybe, but remember Sagan also closed a gap.. too bad there really aren't that many races left on the calendar now that he finally has hit the shape. Lets hope he doesn't have to deal with rotten luck next year.

Paris Tours is a suitable race and he is riding the Tour of Guangxi.

I think you knew I referred to Paris-Tour as not that many races. Basically the only bigger race left for him to win at this point, no.

We have basically only seen him at 100% on a few stages in the Giro when he wasn't sick where he absolutely demolished the field. Crashed in San Remo in winning position, crashed in Worlds when he was in great shape, now riding like a clueless junior. :lol:

Its crazy, there is so much potential, but he doesn't really have that much to show for it yet. I bet most casual fans doesn't even know him. They will next year.
User avatar Valv.Piti

24 Sep 2017 19:54

He's already regretting his attacks and chase downs, idiot. No other way to put it.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

24 Sep 2017 20:03

DNP-Old wrote:He's already regretting his attacks and chase downs, idiot. No other way to put it.

Its time to win big now. Tbh I had never expected he would be this strong so Im just pleased with him showing this potential, but its frustrating how there's always something missing on the big scene. You could see how strong he was, that should bode well for his cobbled campaign where he was kinda underwhelming this year IMO, probably since he had the Giro in mind.
User avatar Valv.Piti

24 Sep 2017 20:10

Valv.Piti wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:He's already regretting his attacks and chase downs, idiot. No other way to put it.

Its time to win big now. Tbh I had never expected he would be this strong so Im just pleased with him showing this potential, but its frustrating how there's always something missing on the big scene. You could see how strong he was, that should bode well for his cobbled campaign where he was kinda underwhelming this year IMO, probably since he had the Giro in mind.

Exactly. Don't forget, in the penultimate climb of Salmon Hill, there was a Colombian attacking. Everyone just believed and assumed it was Uran, but I am 110% sure it was Gaviria himself. He just looked at ease the whole day, which showcases his insane talent. Without proper preparation, he is still here, at age 23, contending for the win.

These are opportunities he can't just let go. Do it once: it's a mistake and you learn from it. Do it twice, and it might be something more, like a severe lack of tactical brain cells. There was just absolutely no reason to do what he did.

Perhaps he didn't think he was good enough of beating Sagan and others in a sprint (although I am pretty sure Sagan was just as afraid of him as vice versa). Could be an explanation, but attacking doesn't maximise his chances of winning. The Italians were always going to chase, he had Uran with him and no one in their right mind wants to go to the line with him in a direct battle.

Viviani once said it best: "He won two Worlds titles on the track through sheer talent and power in the legs. He wasn't riding particularly tactically; he simply had more legs and more talent than the other guys.''
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

24 Sep 2017 20:23

SKSemtex wrote:I think Gaviria is the reason Sagan will never win MSR. Unless Le Manie will be brought back.
I think he is really special.

Did you see 2017 milan san remo :confused:
portugal11

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing