Register

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

24 Sep 2017 20:27

Oh well, you win some and lose time. Looking at this season, he has showed on occasion how great he can be but it still could have been much more in my opinion. Next year there is no Boonen, no Trentin and Stybar and Terpstra have peaked (although still very good). There is no better team to ride on than QS in the spring races so he should win a semi-classic and be up there in Flanders and Roubaix. Especially looking forward to him in Roubaix, he is incredible on flat roads. And with Kittel gone he is riding the Tour as the captain and should be able to contest him in a pure sprint as probably the only guy in the peloton. Im really looking forward to it.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 20:28

Gaviria is really the new wonder boy in sprints. Hope to see him improve his ability in one day races and I'm hoping he still will improve and not stagnate early like other colombians
portugal11

Re:

24 Sep 2017 20:33

Valv.Piti wrote:Oh well, you win some and lose time. Looking at this season, he has showed on occasion how great he can be but it still could have been much more in my opinion. Next year there is no Boonen, no Trentin and Stybar and Terpstra have peaked (although still very good). There is no better team to ride on than QS in the spring races so he should win a semi-classic and be up there in Flanders and Roubaix. Especially looking forward to him in Roubaix, he is incredible on flat roads. And with Kittel gone he is riding the Tour as the captain and should be able to contest him in a pure sprint as probably the only guy in the peloton. Im really looking forward to it.

Can't see him winning in flanders. I think he will never have a chance of winning there, not against sagan (who is his main rival for the future). Sagan is so much better than him in those cobbled hills. Roubaix is another question.
portugal11

Re: Re:

24 Sep 2017 20:39

portugal11 wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:I think Gaviria is the reason Sagan will never win MSR. Unless Le Manie will be brought back.
I think he is really special.

Did you see 2017 milan san remo :confused:

YEs I did. How many times more do you think he can pull this trick? An even if he be in top of the hill first again, nobody will ever bring him to the line again the way he can sprint for the win.
User avatar SKSemtex

24 Sep 2017 20:42

SKSemtex wrote:
portugal11 wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:I think Gaviria is the reason Sagan will never win MSR. Unless Le Manie will be brought back.

YEs I did. How many times more do you think he can pull this trick? An even if he be in top of the hill first again, nobody will ever bring him to the line again the way he can sprint for the win.

He just need a better team, that it is able to put a hard tempo in both cipressa and poggio. Gaviria doesn't have the endurance and climbing ability of sagan, so sagan can beat him like he did today.
portugal11

24 Sep 2017 20:45

portugal11 wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:
portugal11 wrote:

He just need a better team, that it is able to put a hard tempo in both cipressa and poggio. Gaviria doesn't have the endurance and climbing ability of sagan, so sagan can beat him like he did today.

Lol no. Gaviria exactly showed his endurance and climbing ability in this race, MSR isn't harder than this. Then you add the pretty ****** prep. If anything Gaviria just ruined it for himself (not saying he would have beaten Sagan).
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 20:48

portugal11 wrote:
SKSemtex wrote:
portugal11 wrote:

This I agree with. Lets see if Peter Kennaugh, can pace him down to the line
User avatar SKSemtex

24 Sep 2017 20:58

That Gaviria actually managed 8th in the sprint after all those moves in the last 4km was quite impressive. He only faded in the last couple of hundred meters, he was actually moving up with about 400-300 to go. Cort, in comparison, just died completely when he was caught, and he hadn't been making the efforts that Gav did.
User avatar Squire

Re: Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

24 Sep 2017 21:21

Don't know if todays race was a good sign for the future. He showed that he can get over hills but his sprint really suffered from the hard racing. Said differently, he might have difficulties winning a sprint in MSR and RVV and PR are even harder.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 21:23

Gigs_98 wrote:Don't know if todays race was a good sign for the future. He showed that he can get over hills but his sprint really suffered from the hard racing. Said differently, he might have difficulties winning a sprint in MSR and RVV and PR are even harder.

Nah, he was fresh, he just gassed himself over 2 kilometres and only was caught with 1 kilometre to go which is the real reason his sprint suffered. He would at least have gotten 3rd had he not, assuming he wasn't caught up in something.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 21:29

Gigs_98 wrote:Don't know if todays race was a good sign for the future. He showed that he can get over hills but his sprint really suffered from the hard racing. Said differently, he might have difficulties winning a sprint in MSR and RVV and PR are even harder.

This valv piti. I'm sure that in normal conditions gaviria is a better sprinter than sagan but after a hard race? I would put my money on sagan. Just look to doha 2016, sagan beat the best sprinter of all times (in my opinion, at least on palmares) in a "mano a mano". How many times did sagan beat cav in a bunch sprint? Fatigue is really important in these sprints on classics
portugal11

Re:

24 Sep 2017 23:05

Today's race was too long for him, and couldn't handle it physiologically. He was not patient enough. Yet he did the most difficult thing: he stayed with the best in the final sprint. He's a potential winner.
Squire wrote:That Gaviria actually managed 8th in the sprint after all those moves in the last 4km was quite impressive. He only faded in the last couple of hundred meters, he was actually moving up with about 400-300 to go. Cort, in comparison, just died completely when he was caught, and he hadn't been making the efforts that Gav did.
User avatar cineteq
Veteran

25 Sep 2017 04:21

He's raced MSR twice. Once he crashed while 4th wheel in the final 500m. Second time, he finished 2nd to Kristoff in the bunch sprint for 4th, 5 seconds behind the break. I think it's pretty clear that he can win MSR some day. The attributes to win Roubaix or Flanders are a different matter altogether, of course.
Leinster

27 Sep 2017 21:52

portugal11 wrote:

This valv piti. I'm sure that in normal conditions gaviria is a better sprinter than sagan but after a hard race? I would put my money on sagan. Just look to doha 2016, sagan beat the best sprinter of all times (in my opinion, at least on palmares) in a "mano a mano". How many times did sagan beat cav in a bunch sprint? Fatigue is really important in these sprints on classics

In Doha 16, the sprinter you mentioned had his line blocked, and still managed 2nd. So Sagan didn't out sprint him
del1962
Veteran

27 Sep 2017 23:20

del1962 wrote:
portugal11 wrote:

In Doha 16, the sprinter you mentioned had his line blocked, and still managed 2nd. So Sagan didn't out sprint him

Part of sprinting is choosing your lines so you don't get boxed in. Cav had Blythe's wheel, which turned out to be the right one, and went off of it. That's on him.
Durden93

28 Sep 2017 14:40

I doubt he would have won even without getting boxed in.
kingjr

20 Oct 2017 12:30

Just noticed the article on the front page from yesterday. His 3 goals for next year: Flanders, Roubaix and the Tour. Not really a surprise since Roubaix is the race he wants to win the most. He had some decent results on cobbles so far even though he never raced the two big ones. And at the Tour we will finally see Kittel vs. Gaviria. They've been teammates for the last 2 years so never competed against each other.
User avatar Akuryo

20 Oct 2017 14:22

Well no one will go to the velodrome with Gaviria in his wheel...
Ikbengodniet

20 Oct 2017 14:43

Nobody wanted a sprint with Boonen either..
Breh

20 Oct 2017 19:36

Akuryo wrote:
Pippo_San wrote:Here goes the next JJ Haedo.

By the end of 2017 Gaviria will have more wins than Haedo in his entire career. He is now at 4 and Haedo has 22 in total. Should be doable for him. :D

btw

I said this 2 years ago. He is at 23 wins now ... damn, I'm good :p
User avatar Akuryo

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing