Log in:  

Register

Fernando Gaviria Discussion Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

20 Oct 2017 20:17

Akuryo wrote:
Akuryo wrote:
Pippo_San wrote:Here goes the next JJ Haedo.


By the end of 2017 Gaviria will have more wins than Haedo in his entire career. He is now at 4 and Haedo has 22 in total. Should be doable for him. :D


btw

I said this 2 years ago. He is at 23 wins now ... damn, I'm good :p

Chapeau!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,361
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

21 Oct 2017 11:19

Again hitting top shape waaay too late. Damn injuries, I would have liked to see a proper end to his season, guy is just a monster when he hits his stride. Roubaix 18? Just please.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,573
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

21 Oct 2017 11:20

Don't really know to what extent sprints are a reflection of aerobic form for sprinters. Guess we'll see a lot in the next cobbled season. I have my doubts. He's very durable for how fast he is but I think he lacks some of the raw power and rouleur abilities for the cobbled classics.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,635
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re:

21 Oct 2017 11:24

Red Rick wrote:Don't really know to what extent sprints are a reflection of aerobic form for sprinters.

Sprinting in China, probably not much, but sprints in the opening week in the north of France probably is a lot more. Its just not that tho, watching the WCRR he just raced incredibly stupid. Form definitely there and I think he has that kind of stamina. And when he has that kind of shape, like in the middle of the Giro, he just seems one level above everyone. Only Kittel can beat him in a dragrace at that point
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,573
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

21 Oct 2017 11:28

Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Don't really know to what extent sprints are a reflection of aerobic form for sprinters.

Sprinting in China, probably not much, but sprints in the opening week in the north of France probably is a lot more. Its just not that tho, watching the WCRR he just raced incredibly stupid. Form definitely there and I think he has that kind of stamina. And when he has that kind of shape, like in the middle of the Giro, he just seems one level above everyone. Only Kittel can beat him in a dragrace at that point

It's actually pretty crazy for Kittel that he's the best sprinter in the world and he has to leave the team because there's a younger and way more versatile competitor in the same team.

Gonna be interesting what happens. Don't think we've seen Kittel and Gaviria go head to head, and Gaviria will most certainly have the better leadout the majority of the time.

As for the classics, he's still very young for that and he will likely get stronger still.

One thing that may be a pain for him though is that he's Colombian and that he'll likely have a somewhat weak team on any Worlds course that suits him.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,635
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: Re:

21 Oct 2017 11:42

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Don't really know to what extent sprints are a reflection of aerobic form for sprinters.

Sprinting in China, probably not much, but sprints in the opening week in the north of France probably is a lot more. Its just not that tho, watching the WCRR he just raced incredibly stupid. Form definitely there and I think he has that kind of stamina. And when he has that kind of shape, like in the middle of the Giro, he just seems one level above everyone. Only Kittel can beat him in a dragrace at that point

It's actually pretty crazy for Kittel that he's the best sprinter in the world and he has to leave the team because there's a younger and way more versatile competitor in the same team.

Gonna be interesting what happens. Don't think we've seen Kittel and Gaviria go head to head, and Gaviria will most certainly have the better leadout the majority of the time.

As for the classics, he's still very young for that and he will likely get stronger still.

One thing that may be a pain for him though is that he's Colombian and that he'll likely have a somewhat weak team on any Worlds course that suits him
.

Most of the recent wins were with weak teams ;)
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

21 Oct 2017 12:15

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Don't really know to what extent sprints are a reflection of aerobic form for sprinters.

Sprinting in China, probably not much, but sprints in the opening week in the north of France probably is a lot more. Its just not that tho, watching the WCRR he just raced incredibly stupid. Form definitely there and I think he has that kind of stamina. And when he has that kind of shape, like in the middle of the Giro, he just seems one level above everyone. Only Kittel can beat him in a dragrace at that point

It's actually pretty crazy for Kittel that he's the best sprinter in the world and he has to leave the team because there's a younger and way more versatile competitor in the same team.

Gonna be interesting what happens. Don't think we've seen Kittel and Gaviria go head to head, and Gaviria will most certainly have the better leadout the majority of the time.

As for the classics, he's still very young for that and he will likely get stronger still.

One thing that may be a pain for him though is that he's Colombian and that he'll likely have a somewhat weak team on any Worlds course that suits him.

He'll only have a weak team because there is a coach in place who is chronically drunk and has no idea what he's doing. If he did his job properly, selecting riders who fit the terrain, the team around him won't be much of an issue. Besides, the current world champion managed to pull it of thrice while practically being on his own.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,226
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

11 Jan 2018 14:17

San Juan, Nacionales, Colombia Oro Y Paz, Milán-San Remo, Tour de Flandes, París-Roubaix, Tour de California, Tour de Suiza y Tour de Francia

I expect him to add HN, KBK, TA and 2 of E-3, G-W and DDV. Many good duels with Sagan, it looks like..
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,573
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

11 Jan 2018 16:41

"I am excited and eager to ride the cobbled classics, races for which I have a deep love. Then, in the second part of the season, I want to be 100% fit for the Tour de France."

Sounds good! I also cannot stress enough how big Brian Holm is on Fernando. He is constantly raving about him, whether it is on podcasts, interviews, twitter or whatever. The guy is certain that he is as good as Sagan, or at least will be. But this should be the season where he really announces himself as a world class rider.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,573
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

11 Jan 2018 17:50

Valv.Piti wrote:"I am excited and eager to ride the cobbled classics, races for which I have a deep love. Then, in the second part of the season, I want to be 100% fit for the Tour de France."

Sounds good! I also cannot stress enough how big Brian Holm is on Fernando. He is constantly raving about him, whether it is on podcasts, interviews, twitter or whatever. The guy is certain that he is as good as Sagan, or at least will be. But this should be the season where he really announces himself as a world class rider.


It'd be amazing to see Gaviria becoming more than a sprinter, even if his success has come from that discipline, I believe is the right approach for him to be more versatile by pushing his skills to the next level. :)
User avatar hfer07
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,697
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

Re:

11 Jan 2018 18:07

Valv.Piti wrote:San Juan, Nacionales, Colombia Oro Y Paz, Milán-San Remo, Tour de Flandes, París-Roubaix, Tour de California, Tour de Suiza y Tour de Francia

I expect him to add HN, KBK, TA and 2 of E-3, G-W and DDV. Many good duels with Sagan, it looks like..

I guess they are putting great confidence in him.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,361
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re:

11 Jan 2018 18:29

Valv.Piti wrote:"I am excited and eager to ride the cobbled classics, races for which I have a deep love. Then, in the second part of the season, I want to be 100% fit for the Tour de France."

Sounds good! I also cannot stress enough how big Brian Holm is on Fernando. He is constantly raving about him, whether it is on podcasts, interviews, twitter or whatever. The guy is certain that he is as good as Sagan, or at least will be. But this should be the season where he really announces himself as a world class rider.


Holm uses to say that Sagan doesn't come anywhere near Gaviria. Which is ridiculous - or maybe he has just forgotten Sagan as a 20 year old...
User avatar tobydawq
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,088
Joined: 16 Nov 2013 18:45
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

11 Jan 2018 19:13

Escarabajo wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:San Juan, Nacionales, Colombia Oro Y Paz, Milán-San Remo, Tour de Flandes, París-Roubaix, Tour de California, Tour de Suiza y Tour de Francia

I expect him to add HN, KBK, TA and 2 of E-3, G-W and DDV. Many good duels with Sagan, it looks like..

I guess they are putting great confidence in him.


Yes, but the pressure won't be too immense imo. They've got phil gil who no doubt will be the top priority. Gav will be able to learn the ropes and do as well as possible without the pressure....great situation to be in.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: Re:

11 Jan 2018 23:16

Jspear wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:San Juan, Nacionales, Colombia Oro Y Paz, Milán-San Remo, Tour de Flandes, París-Roubaix, Tour de California, Tour de Suiza y Tour de Francia

I expect him to add HN, KBK, TA and 2 of E-3, G-W and DDV. Many good duels with Sagan, it looks like..

I guess they are putting great confidence in him.


Yes, but the pressure won't be too immense imo. They've got phil gil who no doubt will be the top priority. Gav will be able to learn the ropes and do as well as possible without the pressure....great situation to be in.

Exactly,

There's Gilbert, Stybar, Lampaert, Terpstra,... Gaviria doesn't HAVE to score in these races.
It's going to be weird to see a Colombian in the finale of the Holy Week.
Breh
Member
 
Posts: 902
Joined: 24 Jun 2015 14:57

Re: Re:

11 Jan 2018 23:32

tobydawq wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:"I am excited and eager to ride the cobbled classics, races for which I have a deep love. Then, in the second part of the season, I want to be 100% fit for the Tour de France."

Sounds good! I also cannot stress enough how big Brian Holm is on Fernando. He is constantly raving about him, whether it is on podcasts, interviews, twitter or whatever. The guy is certain that he is as good as Sagan, or at least will be. But this should be the season where he really announces himself as a world class rider.


Holm uses to say that Sagan doesn't come anywhere near Gaviria. Which is ridiculous - or maybe he has just forgotten Sagan as a 20 year old...

Indeed. Just compare Sagan's season in '12 to Gaviria's last year. Some similarities, but Sagan's clearly a level above. Same as the respective seasons before.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

Re: Re:

11 Jan 2018 23:49

Netserk wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:"I am excited and eager to ride the cobbled classics, races for which I have a deep love. Then, in the second part of the season, I want to be 100% fit for the Tour de France."

Sounds good! I also cannot stress enough how big Brian Holm is on Fernando. He is constantly raving about him, whether it is on podcasts, interviews, twitter or whatever. The guy is certain that he is as good as Sagan, or at least will be. But this should be the season where he really announces himself as a world class rider.


Holm uses to say that Sagan doesn't come anywhere near Gaviria. Which is ridiculous - or maybe he has just forgotten Sagan as a 20 year old...

Indeed. Just compare Sagan's season in '12 to Gaviria's last year. Some similarities, but Sagan's clearly a level above. Same as the respective seasons before.

Sagan is a very poor measuring stick. He's one of the greatest talents in the sport.

I do get the feeling with Gaviria that he may be in an odd spot where his versatility doesn't really help him in the monuments cause he'll still be lacking on the cobbles and he'd contend for San Remo even with less durability
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 15,635
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

11 Jan 2018 23:59

I wouldn't say that he is more versatile than many others around his level. What is even his best performances on hills? Or on actual cobble-sections? Maybe it's because I'm tired, but there's no particular moment that really springs to mind.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,997
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

12 Jan 2018 06:49

But thats not a fair assessment either. While Brian Holm obviously is out of bounds, Gaviria has only scratched the surface so far. He wasn't very good in the spring this year for various reasons (not good prep + Giro) and was sick leading up to the Giro. Then we saw his real level when he completely destroyed his opposition in the 2nd week. Thats Gaviria.

He again was hampered by bad prep and crashes and only got real form once WC rolled around. Holm said he was certain Gav wouldn't contest as he needed 2-3 weeks more, but he was amazing in that race and who knows what had happened if he just waited for the sprint.

If he finally can get a season without too many crashes and too much sickness, there's really no limit I think. Gaviria hasn't had a 'normal' season so far, so comparing him to Sagan's seasons is not really useful. Hopefully he will have one this year. Im strictly speaking on talent since its so obvious, at least to me, that he has much more up his sleeve than he has been able to show so far.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,573
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

15 Jan 2018 18:29

Very exciting rider. I really looking forward to him duel it out with the big guns this year. I'm really interested to see if he can recognize and react to late breakaways in the big one day races (without team mates to get him to 200m out).
Son of Amsterhammer
Member
 
Posts: 617
Joined: 29 Jun 2015 18:58

15 Jan 2018 20:30

There is a great Gaviria interview on CN.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,573
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 28 guests

Back to top