Register

The Caleb Ewan vs. Fernando Gaviria Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

20 May 2017 16:24

yaco wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
Jspear wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Honestly there really isn't any contest. Not only has Gaviria better top-speed, but is also way more versatile. Not trying to diminish Ewan here, but Gaviria has Sagan-esque potential while Ewan just is fast, pure sprinter who on his day can mix it up with the best.

"on his day" I think should be changed to "when he's set up correctly". He doesn't seem to be able to surf the wheels the way McEwen used to.

McEwen got better at that, it didn't happen straight away. The best is yet to come for Ewan.

Ewan is even smaller than McEwen. He got knocked off the wheel by Richeze and never recovered from there. He's starting to look like he might not have the physical presence to truly contend aggressive bunch sprints when everyone is getting desperate towards the end of a GT.

McEwan may have only been slightly bigger than Ewan's 161cm, but he was also batsh!t crazy in a sprint and everyone knew it. Even when it was the likes of Zabel, Steels, Boonen, O'Grady, Brown, Cav - anyone - they all knew that you didn't f@ck with McEwen.

Orica really missed a trick not sending Kluge or Docker to the Giro. Mezgec is a good rider who hasn't done anything wrong, but he doesn't have the same size and presence. When Ewan won his Vuelta stage in 2015, Docker had to almost barge Sagan off his bike two or three times to keep Ewan in position, I don't see Mezgec doing that.

This is where Gaviria destroys Ewan.

Nailed it - Kluge is am imposing figure in a finish, is super fast and his big frame protects Ewan - It was a strange decision.

Can only protect him so far, all the protection in the world is useless if the guy following still loses his man's wheel.

Kluge's exclusion IS certainly puzzling, maybe one day we will find out the story behind it.
dirkprovin

22 May 2017 00:18

Ewan is out of the Giro. If Gav finishes the Giro it'll be 1-0 Gav.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

22 May 2017 00:29

Jspear wrote:Ewan is out of the Giro. If Gav finishes the Giro it'll be 1-0 Gav.

1:0 for what? Completing a GT? Winning the point jersey?

Either way, while completing a GT is an accomplishment and requires a little bit of luck, thousands has done it and some of them even 20 times in a row or whatever the current Hanson's record is.

As per the points jersey, we all know that Ewan will never win one, so it is not even a competition ...

As others said, Ewan needs a wide boulevard and a clear path, and even then, he will only win a small percentage of those drag races as Gaviria, Kittel, Cav and many others including Sagan will beat him.

So yeah, Ewan is the King of the Aussie crit racing AKA Tour Down Under and nothing else but a few occasional wins ... at least for now.
User avatar Jancouver

23 May 2017 10:32

Jancouver wrote:
Jspear wrote:Ewan is out of the Giro. If Gav finishes the Giro it'll be 1-0 Gav.

1:0 for what? Completing a GT? Winning the point jersey?

Either way, while completing a GT is an accomplishment and requires a little bit of luck, thousands has done it and some of them even 20 times in a row or whatever the current Hanson's record is.

As per the points jersey, we all know that Ewan will never win one, so it is not even a competition ...

As others said, Ewan needs a wide boulevard and a clear path, and even then, he will only win a small percentage of those drag races as Gaviria, Kittel, Cav and many others including Sagan will beat him.

So yeah, Ewan is the King of the Aussie crit racing AKA Tour Down Under and nothing else but a few occasional wins ... at least for now.

That's a little harsh :D.

Ewan can match all but Kittel, Cav and an on-form Gaviria, but let's be honest, any 22yo in the world would take that. Gaviria on the other hand.... he's looking like the beast we all thought EBH and Sagan were going to become :eek:

His ability is frightening.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

25 May 2017 11:35

:lol: Ewan won't be competition for Gaviria.
User avatar KGB

02 Jun 2017 17:15

Hammer series sprint is tomorrow. If its like today, it will be Ewan vs Gaviria vs Viviani circuit after circuit. Viviani and Gaviria have the edge due to the Omnimum background. Gaviria has made it clear in the past that he REALLY was upset he didn't win in Rio vs Viviani. He said something to the effect that it will take about 4 point jerseys in GTs to make up for that one gold medal. I believe this is the first time he is going head-to-head with Viviani (the gold medal winner) since that day. Ewan showed he is in shape and is committed, was part of the initial guys getting points on the climbs today.
User avatar gospina

Re:

02 Jun 2017 17:27

gospina wrote:Hammer series sprint is tomorrow. If its like today, it will be Ewan vs Gaviria vs Viviani circuit after circuit. Viviani and Gaviria have the edge due to the Omnimum background. Gaviria has made it clear in the past that he REALLY was upset he didn't win in Rio vs Viviani. He said something to the effect that it will take about 4 point jerseys in GTs to make up for that one gold medal. I believe this is the first time he is going head-to-head with Viviani (the gold medal winner) since that day. Ewan showed he is in shape and is committed, was part of the initial guys getting points on the climbs today.

Could be very interesting. Ewan's optimal racing format IS criterium racing so this should be compatible enough given its said to be a flat circuit. However, with their additional strength and power, I see both Gaviria and Viviani being too strong for him unless Orica are somehow able to "boss" the field ..... which I can't really see happening.
dirkprovin

02 Jun 2017 18:21

What a great day - The peleton was split in the neutral zone - Think a few riders could have gone with the move but waited thinking the race would come back together again - I expect the sprint stage to be a more sedate affair - Orica should win many points with Ewan, Edmondson and Kluge and even Docker could win points. Think Orica will rest Durbridge and Hayman tomorrow and reserve them for the Chase.
yaco

Re:

02 Jun 2017 18:27

yaco wrote:What a great day - The peleton was split in the neutral zone - Think a few riders could have gone with the move but waited thinking the race would come back together again - I expect the sprint stage to be a more sedate affair - Orica should win many points with Ewan, Edmondson and Kluge and even Docker could win points.

They very well could as it seems they've picked a squad well suited; however I see a number of teams who weren't really at today's party being far more involved let alone QST & Postal giving them licence to have it their own way.
dirkprovin

03 Jun 2017 10:28

dirkprovin wrote:
yaco wrote:What a great day - The peleton was split in the neutral zone - Think a few riders could have gone with the move but waited thinking the race would come back together again - I expect the sprint stage to be a more sedate affair - Orica should win many points with Ewan, Edmondson and Kluge and even Docker could win points.

They very well could as it seems they've picked a squad well suited; however I see a number of teams who weren't really at today's party being far more involved let alone QST & Postal giving them licence to have it their own way.

Come on, Ewan is one of the 2/3 best crit racers in the world. He's going to be in the thick of things.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

03 Jun 2017 11:34

42x16ss wrote:
dirkprovin wrote:

Come on, Ewan is one of the 2/3 best crit racers in the world. He's going to be in the thick of things.

I completely agree that crits are Ewan's optimal racing discipline. As to where he may rate on an international scale is purely subjective due to crits not being a major part of international racing PLUS the bulk of said crit wins come from racing domestically in AUS when he's arguably at his peak.

Fully expect Orica (today's line-up Ewan, Kluge, Edmondson, Docker & Hepburn) to be peak players in today's racing but neither am I expecting the likes of Quick-Step, UK Postal & maybe a few other teams to just roll-over and let Orica boss the show. Orica will be needing to get Ewan into clear air at the points sprints because if it gets mano on mano biff n barge, he's majorly disadvantaged.
dirkprovin

Re: The Caleb Ewan vs. Fernando Gaviria Thread

17 Mar 2018 17:36

Todays race showed once again that people shouldn't claim Gaviria is lightyears ahead of Ewan too early. He was by far the strongest sprinter today and if he had won this, Ewan would have been in a whole new league palmares wise. People can't stop writing about how talented Gaviria is, how he is the next big thing in classics and as strong as sagan, but in fact the only way he has won races so far is winning bunch sprints
Tbh I also think Gaviria is the more talented cyclist but so far this thread is not like the Sagan vs. EBH thread yet which seems ridiculous nowadays. Just the fact that Ewan has basically been bashed in this forum for two years now makes me root for him.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

17 Mar 2018 19:08

Think Ewan is riding Panne next Wednesday - He needs to learn to ride on cobbles to give him more opportunities - As an example if he could ride on cobbles he could have featured in KBK, because he climbs better than Groenewegen - Anyway he'll get his chance to win a stage in the TDF, especially one's that have a kick in the end.
yaco

17 Mar 2018 19:16

I think he is way too small to be good on cobbles. It has been looking quite pathetic when he has ridden on them previously.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

17 Mar 2018 22:30

tobydawq wrote:I think he is way too small to be good on cobbles. It has been looking quite pathetic when he has ridden on them previously.

Yeah, his size makes it pretty difficult for him to ever be successful in cobbles classics. He'd either need to drastically gain weight (and I don't know if a rider as small as him can gain enough weight to be competitive on cobbles without losing power as a sprinter) or a very very easy edition of KBK.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

18 Mar 2018 00:47

Gigs_98 wrote:
tobydawq wrote:I think he is way too small to be good on cobbles. It has been looking quite pathetic when he has ridden on them previously.

Yeah, his size makes it pretty difficult for him to ever be successful in cobbles classics. He'd either need to drastically gain weight (and I don't know if a rider as small as him can gain enough weight to be competitive on cobbles without losing power as a sprinter) or a very very easy edition of KBK.

He could win the Scheldeprijs, but tbh those aren’t truly cobbles.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

18 Mar 2018 00:59

Gigs_98 wrote:Todays race showed once again that people shouldn't claim Gaviria is lightyears ahead of Ewan too early. He was by far the strongest sprinter today and if he had won this, Ewan would have been in a whole new league palmares wise. People can't stop writing about how talented Gaviria is, how he is the next big thing in classics and as strong as sagan, but in fact the only way he has won races so far is winning bunch sprints
Tbh I also think Gaviria is the more talented cyclist but so far this thread is not like the Sagan vs. EBH thread yet which seems ridiculous nowadays. Just the fact that Ewan has basically been bashed in this forum for two years now makes me root for him.

Gaviria won Paris-Tours with a late attack....which kind of made everyone (me included) think: woah - this guy is the next superstar!

But on the whole I agree - Ewan has been progressing pretty nicely. To sprint that well against the very best at the end of MSR speaks for itself.
User avatar The Hegelian

18 Mar 2018 01:30

42x16ss wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:

He could win the Scheldeprijs, but tbh those aren’t truly cobbles.

Don't think GreenEdge have ever done that race so will be interesting to see if they do it this year
User avatar swuzzlebubble

Re:

18 Mar 2018 01:50

Yeah, cobbles require both bike handling skills and a certain physical mass to ride them with the very best. No matter how good he gets at the handling part, he’s still going to get bounced around on serious cobbles.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

18 Mar 2018 04:19

Gigs_98 wrote:Todays race showed once again that people shouldn't claim Gaviria is lightyears ahead of Ewan too early. He was by far the strongest sprinter today and if he had won this, Ewan would have been in a whole new league palmares wise. People can't stop writing about how talented Gaviria is, how he is the next big thing in classics and as strong as sagan, but in fact the only way he has won races so far is winning bunch sprints

This. While I'm glad Nibali stayed away, a Ewan win would have been worth it to see dirkprovin's negative posts about Ewan even more disproved. Anyway, props to him. He blew away the rest of the field in the sprint.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing