Register

The Caleb Ewan vs. Fernando Gaviria Thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

18 Mar 2018 06:28

Ewan is out of contract at the end of 2018 - The common view in the cycling fraternity and from CYCLING advisers is he will sign for a new team - My understanding is at this stage he will stay at MS - Even though the team may attract Asian sponsorship, they are still mindful to have an Aussie key rider - Anyway Ewan must win a stage at this years TDF, seeing the team will be built around him.
yaco

18 Mar 2018 13:17

So for all the rubbish that some people have posted about Ewan, he has 2 GT stages and has finished 2nd at a monument by the age of 23. Awful, how does he have a world tour contract :lol:
Pirazziattacks

Re:

18 Mar 2018 13:38

yaco wrote:Ewan is out of contract at the end of 2018 - The common view in the cycling fraternity and from CYCLING advisers is he will sign for a new team - My understanding is at this stage he will stay at MS - Even though the team may attract Asian sponsorship, they are still mindful to have an Aussie key rider - Anyway Ewan must win a stage at this years TDF, seeing the team will be built around him.

You do realize he's half Korean, right?
User avatar El Pistolero
Veteran

Re: Re:

18 Mar 2018 18:44

El Pistolero wrote:
yaco wrote:Ewan is out of contract at the end of 2018 - The common view in the cycling fraternity and from CYCLING advisers is he will sign for a new team - My understanding is at this stage he will stay at MS - Even though the team may attract Asian sponsorship, they are still mindful to have an Aussie key rider - Anyway Ewan must win a stage at this years TDF, seeing the team will be built around him.

You do realize he's half Korean, right?

Of course I realise Ewan has a Korean parent, yet he has an Australian passport and racing licence - MS is searching for sponsors as Gerry Ryan can't bankroll the team forever - Besides Ewan being ready to ride the TDF, it's the shop-front race on the UCI calendar, so attracts plenty of interest and having an Australian team leader winning a stage may be attractive for sponsors.
yaco

Re:

18 Mar 2018 18:59

Pirazziattacks wrote:So for all the rubbish that some people have posted about Ewan, he has 2 GT stages and has finished 2nd at a monument by the age of 23. Awful, how does he have a world tour contract :lol:

Yeah it's funny when some fans write a rider off before his career has barely started. To me he has a lot of improvement left in him. See how he's going in three years or so.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: The Caleb Ewan vs. Fernando Gaviria Thread

18 Mar 2018 21:24

jaylew wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Todays race showed once again that people shouldn't claim Gaviria is lightyears ahead of Ewan too early. He was by far the strongest sprinter today and if he had won this, Ewan would have been in a whole new league palmares wise. People can't stop writing about how talented Gaviria is, how he is the next big thing in classics and as strong as sagan, but in fact the only way he has won races so far is winning bunch sprints
Tbh I also think Gaviria is the more talented cyclist but so far this thread is not like the Sagan vs. EBH thread yet which seems ridiculous nowadays. Just the fact that Ewan has basically been bashed in this forum for two years now makes me root for him.

This. While I'm glad Nibali stayed away, a Ewan win would have been worth it to see dirkprovin's negative posts about Ewan even more disproved. Anyway, props to him. He blew away the rest of the field in the sprint.
To be fair, Mr Provan has always said that if they soft-pedalled the Poggio like a no-drop group ride, that Caleb could be thereabouts
User avatar swuzzlebubble

Re: The Caleb Ewan vs. Fernando Gaviria Thread

18 Mar 2018 23:17

swuzzlebubble wrote:
jaylew wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:Todays race showed once again that people shouldn't claim Gaviria is lightyears ahead of Ewan too early. He was by far the strongest sprinter today and if he had won this, Ewan would have been in a whole new league palmares wise. People can't stop writing about how talented Gaviria is, how he is the next big thing in classics and as strong as sagan, but in fact the only way he has won races so far is winning bunch sprints
Tbh I also think Gaviria is the more talented cyclist but so far this thread is not like the Sagan vs. EBH thread yet which seems ridiculous nowadays. Just the fact that Ewan has basically been bashed in this forum for two years now makes me root for him.

This. While I'm glad Nibali stayed away, a Ewan win would have been worth it to see dirkprovin's negative posts about Ewan even more disproved. Anyway, props to him. He blew away the rest of the field in the sprint.
To be fair, Mr Provan has always said that if they soft-pedalled the Poggio like a no-drop group ride, that Caleb could be thereabouts

Well, they didn't. And only 19 finished on the same time, only 37 finished within 30" and half the field finished 10 minutes back so he's certainly more than a crit rider.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

19 Mar 2018 04:51

And the 2017 edition climb over the Poggio and Cipressa were in the top 3 fastest time ever recorded in MSR, while this year it was more sedate.
yaco

19 Mar 2018 10:24

movingtarget wrote:
Pirazziattacks wrote:So for all the rubbish that some people have posted about Ewan, he has 2 GT stages and has finished 2nd at a monument by the age of 23. Awful, how does he have a world tour contract :lol:

Yeah it's funny when some fans write a rider off before his career has barely started. To me he has a lot of improvement left in him. See how he's going in three years or so.

Agreed. The daylight he put between himself and the other sprinters at MSR was impressive. He will only improve.
Cookster15

19 Mar 2018 10:57

I too was extremely impressed by Ewan, so much that despite the excitement about Nibali achieving the impossible, I couldn't help but feel bad for Ewan. However with what he showed on Saturday I'm sure he'll get many more opportunities to win this race.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

19 Mar 2018 12:09

yaco wrote:Think Ewan is riding Panne next Wednesday - He needs to learn to ride on cobbles to give him more opportunities - As an example if he could ride on cobbles he could have featured in KBK, because he climbs better than Groenewegen - Anyway he'll get his chance to win a stage in the TDF, especially one's that have a kick in the end.

He is not in the team for Panne. :Neutral: So now a break until California? That's a looooong time off.
User avatar liamito

19 Mar 2018 12:22

liamito wrote:
yaco wrote:Think Ewan is riding Panne next Wednesday - He needs to learn to ride on cobbles to give him more opportunities - As an example if he could ride on cobbles he could have featured in KBK, because he climbs better than Groenewegen - Anyway he'll get his chance to win a stage in the TDF, especially one's that have a kick in the end.

He is not in the team for Panne. :Neutral: So now a break until California? That's a looooong time off.

There has been some illness in the team and therefore re-juggling of schedules - The plan is for Ewan to practice riding on cobbles to prepare for the cobbled stage at the TDF and to have Hayman as his guardian - Unfortunately Hayman is sick. Have no idea when Ewan will next race.
yaco

19 Mar 2018 12:35

Why in the world would you prepare yourself for the cobbles in the TdF as a sprinter without any chance of winning it? That really makes no sense to me.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

19 Mar 2018 16:53

Valv.Piti wrote:Why in the world would you prepare yourself for the cobbles in the TdF as a sprinter without any chance of winning it? That really makes no sense to me.

Because he needs to improve on cobbles to give him more options as a racer - And there is no harm in practising and hope he gets to the final in the cobbled stage - Ewan's job is to win a stage at the TDF and do a role in the TTT.
yaco

20 Mar 2018 16:12

To me and I know a lot will
Disagree but People hate on Ewan because he Australian vs the almost sickening love for riders from Colombia and Portugal
On here. Zero reason why a 23 year cops the crap he does on here and the love for the exact same rider from Colombia is over earned
Scarponi

Re:

21 Mar 2018 06:32

Valv.Piti wrote:Why in the world would you prepare yourself for the cobbles in the TdF as a sprinter without any chance of winning it? That really makes no sense to me.

To make it to the rest of the sprint stages in the best possible condition?
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

22 Mar 2018 08:22

Scarponi wrote:To me and I know a lot will
Disagree but People hate on Ewan because he Australian vs the almost sickening love for riders from Colombia and Portugal
On here. Zero reason why a 23 year cops the crap he does on here and the love for the exact same rider from Colombia is over earned

Here Colombians are usually overhyped but Gaviria sprinting wise has already showed that is a phenomenon, I think it's difficult to find a rider with 4 wins and points jersey in his first GT.
What he should show are his credentials in cobbles/hilly classics where some think he could deliver.
Nirvana

01 May 2018 15:37

After today, I know for sure this Gaviria is extremely overrated. Screws up so many sprints or races, that it's getting clear. I wonder when they go for Jakobsen or Hodeg.
Cinemaniak

14 May 2018 03:52

These two are going to clean up at the TDF. Even Kittel needs to be on his toes.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

14 May 2018 09:21

42x16ss wrote:These two are going to clean up at the TDF. Even Kittel needs to be on his toes.

As of right now, in a flat sprint, I'd still rate a Kittel in top shape higher than both. I would also put Cavendish in there based of reputation. We already collectively put the final nail in his coffin back in '16. I ain't making that mistake again.
User avatar DNP-Old

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing