Register

The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

12 Mar 2017 19:30

saganftw wrote:you should change the title to "hopefully roglic is not a new mikel landa" :lol:

A year has passed and they are very different riders. I compared him to Landa because their climbing style looked quite similar although I'm not seeing that many similarities anymore. But mainly because Landa was the hyped rider at the time and was even seen by many as a Giro winner for 2016. Maybe I should just delete the Landa part from the title. Honestly I couldn't think of a rider that reminds me of Roglic. Probably because I still have no idea what kind of rider he'll become. Though the last signs are clearer and point towards a GC rider.
User avatar johnymax

Re: The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

14 Mar 2017 20:49

Good ride, he lacks the power to match Dennis or Van emden in a flat and short ITT, but he was closer than in last year Eneco for example. Roglic is becoming quite a solid rider in both: climbing and TT at the same time, and that is crucial (and no easy, look Dumoulin today) for his GC potencial.
pablohidalgo7

15 Mar 2017 00:32

pablohidalgo7 wrote:Good ride, he lacks the power to match Dennis or Van emden in a flat and short ITT, but he was closer than in last year Eneco for example. Roglic is becoming quite a solid rider in both: climbing and TT at the same time, and that is crucial (and no easy, look Dumoulin today) for his GC potencial.

He doesn't need to match Dennis or Van Emden in a short flat ITT off course. No GC rider can do that. His TT is good where it is imo. If he keeps this level against the clock and improves his climbing, he will be alright. Easier said then done, I know. But he is on the right path. Now he needs to show continuity in his next races. I hope he does Pais Vasco after Milano-Sanremo and then the Ardenes classics. Oh, and he has had a fantastic start of season. Didn't expect that.
User avatar johnymax

15 Mar 2017 06:40

Yeah is so impresive, in fact he has the same or less experienced than a normal second year pro. He is developing his true potential so fast this season.
Hopefully big things coming from Rogla in next months.
pablohidalgo7

15 Mar 2017 16:41

Looking long-term it's possible to see Roglic getting a podium in a GT.
yaco

15 Mar 2017 17:29

Roglic is now Lotto's second best GT leader (Kruijswijk 1 if he's anywhere near 2016 Giro level in the upcoming Giro)
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

Re:

15 Mar 2017 18:36

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Roglic is now Lotto's second best GT leader (Kruijswijk 1 if he's anywhere near 2016 Giro level in the upcoming Giro)

He's their best one-week stage racer, but we have no idea of his pedigree on GTs. :p
User avatar Alexandre B.

16 Mar 2017 00:37

From his blog:

Excatly 10 years ago today I crashed badly on what was at that time the bigest skijumping flying hill in the world- in our home Planica. Less than a month before this we became junior World Champions. I was sure that this is my purpose in life. Today I would not say that this jump decided my career, because I continued competing for 4 or 5 more years. Always belived that somehow I will make it. When I look back I am grateful for experiences that I got as a skijumper, and thankful to be given a second chance as a cyclist. In my old and new sport I learned, that no matter how hard you hit the ground you always have to get up and go for it!

User avatar johnymax

19 Mar 2017 18:57

He is doing the Tour of the Basque Country in two weeks, with some fierce competition such as Contador, Valverde, Henao, Chaves. Also racing against his former teammate Wilco Kelderman .

Meanwhile Kruijswik and Gesink are doing the Tour of Catalonia this week.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

19 Mar 2017 21:10

If he doesn't lose any silly time, he should be a top contender there. In fact, I think he will fill the podium together with Kwiatkowski and Contador.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

05 Apr 2017 23:31

It looks like the good form is still there. He was in the mix with the main GC contenders over the top of the last climb. Right behind Contador, Valverde and Ion. BTW it wasn't him who attacked and tried to bridge to De la Cruz. I think it was Bennett from LottoNL Jumbo.

Looks like the GC battle will feature only the last two stages. I don't think many can match Rogla in the ITT. Maybe Ion, Contador and Kwiatkowski but I have my doubts. So the Arrate climb will be crucial for him, especially those 2km at 15%. If he can limit the time loss there, he is good for a top 5 placing in the end. I was being cautious with my predictions before the race, but why not. If the stars align, he can fight even for the top spot of the podium.

About his racing program going forward. He won't do the Ardennes classics. It's a shame cause I wanted to see him in LBL. But OK, the team decided it'd be wise not to ride the classics, instead he'll do Tour de Romandie. Then he'll go to altitude training camp preparing for his Tour debut. He won't do Tour de Suisse or Dauphine but just Slovenian RR and ITT championships. There is a chance he'll ride Tour de Slovenie but as it stands now, no stage racing for him in June.
User avatar johnymax

06 Apr 2017 07:07

I can never tell the difference between Bennett and Roglic, Always thinks it Roglic, but its pretty much always Bennett who goes on some doomed attack. Great riders both.

Rogla should have at least top-5 sewn up I think. Alaphilippe, Yates and Gorka are out of it.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

06 Apr 2017 07:23

johnymax wrote:About his racing program going forward. He won't do the Ardennes classics. It's a shame cause I wanted to see him in LBL. But OK, the team decided it'd be wise not to ride the classics, instead he'll do Tour de Romandie. Then he'll go to altitude training camp preparing for his Tour debut. He won't do Tour de Suisse or Dauphine but just Slovenian RR and ITT championships. There is a chance he'll ride Tour de Slovenie but as it stands now, no stage racing for him in June.

That would be a VERY light race program. I think he should at least ride the Tour of Slovenia.
User avatar fauniera

Re:

06 Apr 2017 09:56

Valv.Piti wrote:I can never tell the difference between Bennett and Roglic, Always thinks it Roglic, but its pretty much always Bennett who goes on some doomed attack. Great riders both.

Rogla should have at least top-5 sewn up I think. Alaphilippe, Yates and Gorka are out of it.

Here's an easy way to spot him, he has a very prominent tattoo on his right arm:
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

06 Apr 2017 15:57

Yeah!!!! :cool:
One of his best victories so far.
pablohidalgo7

06 Apr 2017 16:26

What a beast! Almost catched, but continued and won! Impressive :cool:
Riposa in pace Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

06 Apr 2017 16:29

pablohidalgo7 wrote:Yeah!!!! :cool:
One of his best victories so far.

I'd say the best. It was the first win with LottoNL Jumbo when he could raise his arms when crossing the finish line. His other victories came in GC or in TTs. Even today he only raised his arms after passing the line. He was fighting for every second :cool:

Great job, Rogla, great job!
User avatar johnymax

06 Apr 2017 16:31

I want to point out again that it was George Bennett the Lotto Jumbo rider who made the first 2 attacks on the climb and on the descent.
User avatar johnymax

06 Apr 2017 16:35

Crazy how he only had 5 meters or so at one point when de la Cruz pulled over.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

06 Apr 2017 16:40

johnymax wrote:I want to point out again that it was George Bennett the Lotto Jumbo rider who made the first 2 attacks on the climb and on the descent.

Yes, also yesterday it was always him.
pablohidalgo7

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing