Log in:  

Register

The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

15 Jun 2017 22:32

Tadej Valjavec deserves an honorable mention here, I think. Especially if Jani's 9th in the Tour is counted as an impressive result.

Valjavec had multiple GT top tens and lots of top 5s in week-long stage races. Though I'm not sure if he ever actually won anything.
User avatar Squire
Member
 
Posts: 1,291
Joined: 28 Dec 2010 23:39
Location: Shanghai

Re:

16 Jun 2017 02:15

Squire wrote:Tadej Valjavec deserves an honorable mention here, I think. Especially if Jani's 9th in the Tour is counted as an impressive result.

Valjavec had multiple GT top tens and lots of top 5s in week-long stage races. Though I'm not sure if he ever actually won anything.

This post made me curious, as I couldn't remember any Valjavec victories. According to CQ ranking, his only wins were two Slovenian Championships and the 2002 Settimana Lombarda, the latter ahead of Scarponi in 2nd.

Valjavec was leading the 2009 Tour de Suisse entering the final time trial, but finished 59th on that stage to wind up 7th overall.
shalgo
Member
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: 11 Aug 2010 13:57
Location: Pale Blue Dot

Re: Re:

16 Jun 2017 11:03

classicomano wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:Can he become the greatest slovenian cyclist? Who's shoes does he need to step in?

Image

This "fat" Contador was the best version of him. No longer fed by steaks though and even losing weight doesn't help :D
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,545
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

Re: Re:

16 Jun 2017 11:37

Kokoso wrote:
classicomano wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:Can he become the greatest slovenian cyclist? Who's shoes does he need to step in?

Image

This "fat" Contador was the best version of him. No longer fed by steaks though and even losing weight doesn't help :D

Lol, this version was the 2010 contador not the 2009 version
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

16 Jun 2017 11:57

I like the fact we are speaking about versions of Contador, like he is a different rider form year to year. Which is kinda true about him.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,539
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re:

16 Jun 2017 12:29

Valv.Piti wrote:I like the fact we are speaking about versions of Contador, like he is a different rider form year to year. Which is kinda true about him.

He was (more or less) the same climber ( his time trial was the main difference, varied a lot in that period) between 2007-2011, maybe his 2010 version was the weakest version of him in those years
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re: Re:

16 Jun 2017 12:38

portugal11 wrote:
Kokoso wrote:
classicomano wrote:
GenericBoonenFan wrote:Can he become the greatest slovenian cyclist? Who's shoes does he need to step in?

Image

This "fat" Contador was the best version of him. No longer fed by steaks though and even losing weight doesn't help :D

Lol, this version was the 2010 contador not the 2009 version

I guess I'm missing something, please explain.
Kokoso
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,545
Joined: 22 Apr 2012 06:45

Re:

16 Jun 2017 16:06

Squire wrote:Tadej Valjavec deserves an honorable mention here, I think. Especially if Jani's 9th in the Tour is counted as an impressive result.

Valjavec had multiple GT top tens and lots of top 5s in week-long stage races. Though I'm not sure if he ever actually won anything.


He does. He is the best Slovenian GT rider up to now. But he lacks wins. He rarely took initiative and usually followed wheels until it brought him a top ten place. Although in some Giros he was maybe a top five climber, but usually had a bad day where he lost too much time and ended just inside or just outside the top10.

Oh and about best Slovenian cyclist ever...after today it's Špilak if there's been any doubt.
User avatar johnymax
Member
 
Posts: 1,068
Joined: 08 May 2014 06:53

16 Jun 2017 16:10

Apparently Rogla was involved in a crash today. I have no other information. Hopefully he is ok.
User avatar johnymax
Member
 
Posts: 1,068
Joined: 08 May 2014 06:53

Re:

16 Jun 2017 16:23

johnymax wrote:Apparently Rogla was involved in a crash today. I have no other information. Hopefully he is ok.


That always sucks, especially before the Tour. Here is what the team said:
Image
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 785
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

09 Jul 2017 12:11

Roglic going for the polka dots?
User avatar GP Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 770
Joined: 26 Dec 2012 11:34
Location: Bottom of a lake which used to be a sea

Re: The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

09 Jul 2017 17:03

Not enough energy at the end, but his climbing was quite impressive during the first half of the stage, for sure the best is still to come for Rogla.
pablohidalgo7
Junior Member
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 31 Aug 2014 21:23

09 Jul 2017 17:32

Maassen said Roglic is struggling in the heat. He felt well when it was raining earlier in the stage, but in the end it got hotter again and he struggled with that.

Seems like Spilak or Pinot then. Better in rain and cold then in the hot weather
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran
 
Posts: 24,020
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 23:52
Location: Roermond, the Netherlands

Re:

09 Jul 2017 22:55

Dekker_Tifosi wrote:Maassen said Roglic is struggling in the heat. He felt well when it was raining earlier in the stage, but in the end it got hotter again and he struggled with that.

Seems like Spilak or Pinot then. Better in rain and cold then in the hot weather

He suffers in the heat a little but not in an extreme way like Spilak. More than with the heat I think he struggled with the three steep climbs one after another. In the first two he looked pretty impressive actually but Mont du Chat was little too much. He also said he still feels some pain from the crashes from two days ago, so he wasn't 100%. All in all it was a good performance that bodes well for the next stages. He'll try again in the mountains and he still has the ITT to look forward to. A stage win is his priority but why not, he should also try and fight for the polka dot jersey.
User avatar johnymax
Member
 
Posts: 1,068
Joined: 08 May 2014 06:53

Re: The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

16 Jul 2017 18:51

Today stage was a big opportunity and I think he was strong enough to win. In fact it was a shame that Ulssi and Gallopin (both bad clients in the sprint) came back to Rogla and Barguil, in that moment I Knew that Mollema would take the victory.

Hopefully he will try again before the TT that of course is still his best chance.
pablohidalgo7
Junior Member
 
Posts: 287
Joined: 31 Aug 2014 21:23

Re: The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

16 Jul 2017 23:07

pablohidalgo7 wrote:Today stage was a big opportunity and I think he was strong enough to win. In fact it was a shame that Ulssi and Gallopin (both bad clients in the sprint) came back to Rogla and Barguil, in that moment I Knew that Mollema would take the victory.

Hopefully he will try again before the TT that of course is still his best chance.

He was. But so were Gallopin, Ulissi, Barguil and Mollema. There wasn't much between them in terms of strength but Mollema was the only one willing to take risks for the win. That's why I'm disappointed Roglic was never the one attacking first. In both his breakaway occasions (stage 9 and today) he was behind chasing the attackers. Not because lack of strength but because of bad tactical decisions, bad positioning and maybe fear of failing. He needs to be the one who attacks first or at least needs to follow immediately attacks such as the Mollema one today. It's a good thing he quickly realised that. His words after the stage sound promising:

“I am very disappointed. You always want to win and I really tried to win it. In the chase on Mollema, there was not really collaboration. That was frustrating. The next time, I will have to make a plan and try to win solo myself.
“All riders in the bunch want to win, so you are really good when you win a stage in the Tour de France. Only winning counts, but this result is a good step up towards the coming stages. And this is also a good step in my development."


That means he knows he should have done something different today and he will try to be the attacker next time. And that also means that he'll be on the attack again in the following stages.
User avatar johnymax
Member
 
Posts: 1,068
Joined: 08 May 2014 06:53

19 Jul 2017 16:00

Hooray! :D

Image
User avatar classicomano
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,548
Joined: 05 May 2011 15:13

19 Jul 2017 16:09

Didnt forget the signature celebration either.

Image
User avatar classicomano
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,548
Joined: 05 May 2011 15:13

19 Jul 2017 16:31

“I am very disappointed. You always want to win and I really tried to win it. In the chase on Mollema, there was not really collaboration. That was frustrating. The next time, I will have to make a plan and try to win solo myself."

Well that was quickly remedied haha. What a ride that was today. Chapeau
User avatar Eclipse
Member
 
Posts: 1,295
Joined: 22 May 2014 20:41

19 Jul 2017 16:32

Roglic can climb and TT, why isn't he a GT contender in the bigger Tours? He's done pretty well in the week long races this year.
Juan Pelota
Junior Member
 
Posts: 137
Joined: 01 May 2009 15:42

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Koronin, MADRAZO and 18 guests

Back to top
cron