Register

The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

18 Jul 2018 18:33

alexix7 wrote:Gotta love his accent :-D

For sure, yeah. :D
User avatar bajbar

18 Jul 2018 19:23

Great ride today honestly, really strong. Obviously skybots were on another lever, with only Dumoulin and Martin in between. A great result in the end.

I guess recovery is key now, that's where the real difference is between winning one week races and winning the GTs.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

18 Jul 2018 19:28

He's just so cool. Not at all happy with his performance today, hoping to have better legs tomorrow. Such a beast.
User avatar tobydawq

18 Jul 2018 20:31

He must be feeling super confident that he is capable of a special performance to view that as not having good legs and being disappointing. Up to 5th and kept his powder dry. I reckon he will attack halfway up The Alp and move into 3rd at the end of the day.
hayneplane

18 Jul 2018 20:48

Is he allergic to the wind ?
User avatar Serpentin

19 Jul 2018 17:10

Why didn't he work with Nibali?
I hate it when riders sit on wheel the entire time, then overtake with 30 meters to go to secure a 7th or so place.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re:

19 Jul 2018 17:22

Jagartrott wrote:Why didn't he work with Nibali?
I hate it when riders sit on wheel the entire time, then overtake with 30 meters to go to secure a 7th or so place.

I think he was hanging on for dear life. Being more of a one week racer so far, he was never tested over such long climbs and over a span of many days, so I'm surprised he hung on at all, very good performance I think.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

Re: Re:

19 Jul 2018 17:46

Lequack wrote:

I think he was hanging on for dear life. Being more of a one week racer so far, he was never tested over such long climbs and over a span of many days, so I'm surprised he hung on at all, very good performance I think.

Yeah, he is doing great, but he was on his limit today. Third straight day in the Alps at full gas and he has only lost around 50 seconds to Froome in total. I think that is more than acceptable. And it should give him a good indication how far off the best he is, for the coming years. But for his 3rd Grand Tour and the first one where he is in the GC fight, he is doing above expectation.

For the coming days, the Mende climb should suit him a lot, but I think the break will take the stage. Maybe he can win the ITT... it would be a shame to finish the Tour without a stage win.
User avatar bajbar

19 Jul 2018 21:01

"It was a big fight, what can I say, it was really hard," Roglic said at the finish. "My tactic was to climb as fast as I could and get to the finish. I was just a little behind, the climb was a little long. It was a really crazy climb to do for the first time.

"For sure, although I would prefer to win, it's a big race and the guys are riding really fast. I think I still have to train a little bit or something."

:D
User avatar bajbar

19 Jul 2018 21:54

I am a fan but he is probably one of the worst interviewees around haha. He almost always says the same stuff no matter the question.
User avatar johnymax

19 Jul 2018 21:55

His interviews are so funny. It seems like he's a bit puzzled that the others are not that easy to beat. Of course, he hasn't been used to being beaten so far this year, though.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

19 Jul 2018 21:57

tobydawq wrote:His interviews are so funny. It seems like he's a bit puzzled that the others are not that easy to beat. Of course, he hasn't been used to being beaten so far this year, though.

I don't think he's the only one puzzled by being beat by Sky time and time again.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

19 Jul 2018 22:05

Lequack wrote:
tobydawq wrote:His interviews are so funny. It seems like he's a bit puzzled that the others are not that easy to beat. Of course, he hasn't been used to being beaten so far this year, though.

I don't think he's the only one puzzled by being beat by Sky time and time again.

I don't see why such a comment is remotely relevant here.
User avatar tobydawq

19 Jul 2018 22:12

Regarding his riding style in this Tour, yes, he is mostly following wheels, but who could blame him. It's the right thing to do right now. Riding for GC in a GT is unknown territory for him. He should preserve as much energy as he can. 5th place would be fantastic for him meanwhile for Nibali or Quintana it wouldn't add anything to their careers. And Rogla also has the ITT on his side. I don't like it because I know he's an aggressive type of rider who loves to attack and he has shown this plenty of times in shorter stage races. But so far he's done what he had to do and that's try to follow the best as long as possible.
User avatar johnymax

Re:

19 Jul 2018 22:39

johnymax wrote:Regarding his riding style in this Tour, yes, he is mostly following wheels, but who could blame him. It's the right thing to do right now. Riding for GC in a GT is unknown territory for him. He should preserve as much energy as he can. 5th place would be fantastic for him meanwhile for Nibali or Quintana it wouldn't add anything to their careers. And Rogla also has the ITT on his side. I don't like it because I know he's an aggressive type of rider who loves to attack and he has shown this plenty of times in shorter stage races. But so far he's done what he had to do and that's try to follow the best as long as possible.

Some forum members will never understand what you are saying. Sometimes I think is the video game era that pollutes their minds. Roglic is the perfect example of an attacking rider hanging on for dear life at the Tour. There are so many reasons to offer as explanations of this but fans don't understand it. Go figure.

On an additional note, I think I saw him either hanging to a car or just blatantly behind a car on the last kilometers of Alpe when drafting was more crucial.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

20 Jul 2018 07:34

Roglic is still a chance at a podium if he holds his form - The hilly ITT is right up his ally.
yaco

20 Jul 2018 08:01

Lequack wrote:

You're missing my point. I don't blame people for hanging on, I find it cheap to 'hang on', but then sprint at the end for a minor placing. It feels a bit cheap (if you can still sprint, you could also have collaborated at least a bit earlier on).
User avatar Jagartrott

20 Jul 2018 09:23

Can't blame him

Even when he does nothing, his TT ability can add suspense to races just because he's there. Dumoulin and Roglic add thst at least, Froome is no longer the best ITTer of the GC men, although I hadn't anticipated Dumoulin becoming one of the best climbers as well
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

20 Jul 2018 10:06

Jagartrott wrote:
Lequack wrote:

You're missing my point. I don't blame people for hanging on, I find it cheap to 'hang on', but then sprint at the end for a minor placing. It feels a bit cheap (if you can still sprint, you could also have collaborated at least a bit earlier on).

Nah, that was literally a 20m sprint, hardly a marker that he could've contributed with Nibali. And he didn't drop Nibali with that. It actually benefited the both of them, since Nibali might have gained an extra second because he gets s.t. with Roglic (not that it matters anymore).
User avatar Flamin

20 Jul 2018 10:15

I think tomorrow he could gain time on Team Sky if he isn't too tired, the steep wall should suit him.
Riposa in pace, Michele!
User avatar Laplaz

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing