Register

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

03 Feb 2018 13:50

GenericBoonenFan wrote:The thing is: like in Football, some people have a profound hatred for a team. Player A could be playing for Barcelona and you could be his biggest fan, but one day Player A goes to Real Madrid, a team you loathe with a passion. Therefore Player A is now your enemy. In Football you're not loyal to a player but to a team. I don't see the problem with disliking Bernal because he switched teams. I like QS a lot, I disliked Cavendish but when he rode for QS I found myself cheering for him. Just things that happen.

Hate for a person is something very different then disliking them to win though. Especially when it's hate not because of who the person is but just what team he rides for (or what country he is from w/e, for me that is the same).
I mean I do understand a lot of people dislike the way Team Sky rides and therefor do not cheer for them to win, but hating someone just because he rides for them is terrible and narrow minded in my opinion.
User avatar Ruudz0r

Re: Re:

03 Feb 2018 13:51

GenericBoonenFan wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:
repre wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
repre wrote:What is really wrong with hate for a Sky rider? I've liked Bernal a lot before he joined them, and now he is an enemy and very very dangereous one.
There is always hate in the world, u can't deny that simple fact. It's one of the main driving force of everything. Nothing wrong with that.

Seriously?

Do you like everyone in the world?

You said yourself that you used to like him. Suddenly disliking someone simply because of what team they ride on is pretty silly.

Ever heard of Football?

Football is a game with a ball, played between two teams. Cycling is a proper sport, won by individuals. Silly to bring football logic to cycling.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re:

03 Feb 2018 19:45

Valv.Piti wrote:Wow, how hilly was the time trial? Pretty great performance nonetheless. I also hope he wins the RR.

No chance!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

03 Feb 2018 22:28

Sadly the biggest cycling race is only won by an individual when whoever is in the last carriage of the sky train left the train a stop too early.
The Day Team Sky disappears from cycling I'll truly enjoy watching a mountainous Grand Tour stage again -- former Milan-San Remo winner I interviewed.
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

04 Feb 2018 02:55

it seems Team Sky worked on his TT position . Pics of before and now in this tweet

https://twitter.com/fxaviervidela/status/959503461313400833
CTQ

Re:

04 Feb 2018 07:16

CTQ wrote:it seems Team Sky worked on his TT position . Pics of before and now in this tweet

https://twitter.com/fxaviervidela/status/959503461313400833

marginal gains kicking in already
rick james

Re: The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

04 Feb 2018 22:41

"It was the work of young Egan Bernal of Team Sky that absolutely blew the field apart on the 2.5km climb. Bernal lead the climb for 4 laps straight, blowing riders out the back at a rapid rate. This set Sergio Henao up perfectly for his attack"

:)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Beyj2L5gglZ/?explore=true
pastronef

04 Feb 2018 23:45

pastronef wrote:"It was the work of young Egan Bernal of Team Sky that absolutely blew the field apart on the 2.5km climb. Bernal lead the climb for 4 laps straight, blowing riders out the back at a rapid rate. This set Sergio Henao up perfectly for his attack"

:)
https://www.instagram.com/p/Beyj2L5gglZ/?explore=true

OMG, a TT guy who blew the field apart on a climb :razz: well done young Bernal
CTQ

11 Feb 2018 19:11

It'll be interesting to see what he can do in the big one-week stage races in Europe.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 19:12

Will he win Vuelta this year?))
repre

Re:

11 Feb 2018 19:17

repre wrote:Will he win Vuelta this year?))

Arredondo (the CN poster) tipped him for 3rd place in the Vuelta. While that is a bit unrealistic, I can easily see him top-10 and win a stage similarly to Superman Lopez last year. Maybe even a bit more than that. Bernal is simply just amazing and I think he is the biggest talent since Sagan.
Thinking about it tho, it becomes more and more realistic that he will have a Andy Schleck Giro 2007 type of performance in his first GT. Well if he doesn't become worn down and Froome returns.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 19:18

Bernal is destined to surpass Quintana. I hope SKY becomes a vehicle to his career, instead of an impediment, by slaving & wearing him down with domestique duties for the Brits....
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 19:26

Oh well!

Another one on his tally!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

11 Feb 2018 19:50

Any idea what Bernal's program is like?

Hopefully we can keep the forced Gaudu vs. Bernal feud meme of last year going on.

Anyway, for this year, when it comes to racing a small ****** stage race in your native country with only some glorified false flat for the climbers it's Bernal 1 Gaudu 0 :p
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

11 Feb 2018 20:16

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Any idea what Bernal's program is like?

Hopefully we can keep the forced Gaudu vs. Bernal feud meme of last year going on.

Anyway, for this year, when it comes to racing a small ****** stage race in your native country with only some glorified false flat for the climbers it's Bernal 1 Gaudu 0 :p

I think he said Catalonia, Basque Country and Ardennes classics.
User avatar liamito

11 Feb 2018 20:50

No certainties with Bernal's program at this point. Sky are still in doubt wether he'll ride Paris-Nice or Catalunya. I posted back in December he was likely for the Vuelta, so that's where they'll work from. I'm expecting them to drop the pressure a bit for now and let him ride Tour of the Alps and such.
User avatar DNP-Old

11 Feb 2018 21:11

DNP-Old wrote:

No certainties with Bernal's program at this point. Sky are still in doubt wether he'll ride Paris-Nice or Catalunya. I posted back in December he was likely for the Vuelta, so that's where they'll work from. I'm expecting them to drop the pressure a bit for now and let him ride Tour of the Alps and such.

http://www.ciclismointernacional.com/egan-bernal-me-sorprendio-el-resultado-ya-que-no-esperaba-estar-ni-en-el-podio/

Just 9 days ago, should still be pretty accurate don't you think?
User avatar liamito

Re: Re:

11 Feb 2018 21:18

Valv.Piti wrote:
repre wrote:Will he win Vuelta this year?))

Arredondo (the CN poster) tipped him for 3rd place in the Vuelta. While that is a bit unrealistic, I can easily see him top-10 and win a stage similarly to Superman Lopez last year. Maybe even a bit more than that. Bernal is simply just amazing and I think he is the biggest talent since Sagan.
Thinking about it tho, it becomes more and more realistic that he will have a Andy Schleck Giro 2007 type of performance in his first GT. Well if he doesn't become worn down and Froome returns.

It's very hard to make any predictions cause this is only his first full season on a regular pro schedule, with the periodisation that goes with that.

Last year he rode basically rode very few races with the big boys, so while he was shredding some 2.2 race somewhere we have no clue how that compares the the riders duking it out for top 5 in Pais Vasco and the likes.

Then lastly there's the 3 week thing about GTs. We'll see how he does. There should be as little pressure possible on him in the Vuelta.

And ffs let him ride the men's RR at the Worlds.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

11 Feb 2018 21:38

liamito wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

http://www.ciclismointernacional.com/egan-bernal-me-sorprendio-el-resultado-ya-que-no-esperaba-estar-ni-en-el-podio/

Just 9 days ago, should still be pretty accurate don't you think?

The team said they weren't sure yet 5 days ago.
User avatar DNP-Old

11 Feb 2018 21:51

Oi! We need to get a mod to fix this blatant double-posting a few posts above!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing