Register

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

23 May 2018 17:23

Climbing wrote:Doesn’t this points towards Sky thinking that Froome won’t be riding the Tour (or being completely out of shape)?
It seems a terrible idea to send Bernal in France while he could take a lengthy break and do Vuelta + end of season with WC and autumn classics.
Tbh they are already making him race way too much imho… let’s hope it doesn’t end being cooked at 25-26 …

I heard it said that that Sky are a worried about him being overhyped and if he went to the Vuelta he'd be hyped up as a potential winner, while if he went to the Tour in Froome's shadow there would be no pressure and he could learn the ropes at his own pace.
Parker

Re: Re:

23 May 2018 17:27

Parker wrote:
Climbing wrote:Doesn’t this points towards Sky thinking that Froome won’t be riding the Tour (or being completely out of shape)?
It seems a terrible idea to send Bernal in France while he could take a lengthy break and do Vuelta + end of season with WC and autumn classics.
Tbh they are already making him race way too much imho… let’s hope it doesn’t end being cooked at 25-26 …

I heard it said that that Sky are a worried about him being overhyped and if he went to the Vuelta he'd be hyped up as a potential winner, while if he went to the Tour in Froome's shadow there would be no pressure and he could learn the ropes at his own pace.

That is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 May 2018 18:27

Red Rick wrote:
Parker wrote:

Why? It really isn't. He rides his debut GT in a low profile role alongside the best GT rider of the last five years. There's no pressure, he can have off days, he can quit if need be. If he goes to the Vuelta, against a lesser field, people start asking 'can he win' - not least by the Colombians.

Simon Yates did the Tour in his debut season aged 21. Froome did it in his debut season having just turned 22. Bernal's more experienced than they were.
Parker

23 May 2018 18:31

Parker wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Parker wrote:

Why? It really isn't. He rides his debut GT in a low profile role alongside the best GT rider of the last five years. There's no pressure, he can have off days, he can quit if need be. If he goes to the Vuelta, against a lesser field, people start asking 'can he win' - not least by the Colombians.

Simon Yates did the Tour in his debut season aged 21. Froome did it in his debut season having just turned 22. Bernal's more experienced than they were.

Red Rick is right. The Colombians are already thinking that he can win the Tour. :D
So there is that for pressure!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

23 May 2018 18:44

Parker wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Parker wrote:

S.Yates went home halfway through the TDF and he wasn't riding for a GC team - He HAD no pressure - And S.Yates wasn't riding for results in his first year.
yaco

23 May 2018 18:49

Avoiding hype by going to the Tour is like trying to stay clean by spending all your time in a crack den.

The hype will be there as long as he isn't minutes and minutes down in GC, which is invariably a more stupid result than going for GC at the Tour.

So either you get more hype than by going to La Vuelta, or you deliberately self sabotage. Either option is stupid.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 May 2018 18:51

Parker wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
Parker wrote:

Yes, it sounds logic. But still I would prefer to see him at Vuelta this year.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

23 May 2018 18:59

yaco wrote:S.Yates went home halfway through the TDF and he wasn't riding for a GC team - He HAD no pressure - And S.Yates wasn't riding for results in his first year.

And nor will Bernal. He won't be leading the team, Froome will be - and he'll get the glare of the media for sure. And the Colombian media will focus more on Quintana, Uran, Gaviria - actual team leaders. If Froome is not there I don't think Bernal will be either.
Parker

23 May 2018 19:20

But if Froome appears at Tour the rest of the squad will play pure domestique role, also Bernal.
At Vuelta with GT as a leader, Bernal might be a joker.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

23 May 2018 19:21

Ohwell, the notion of GT as a Vuelta leader instead of Bernal is hilarious in the first place.

Thomas has 3 top 10s in WT stage races in the last 3 years

Bernal has 3 this year, and he would've had 4, including a win and 2 second places if not for crashing out of Catalunya.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

23 May 2018 19:28

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:But if Froome appears at Tour the rest of the squad will play pure domestique role, also Bernal.

Exactly. It will be a great learning experience for him. He's got 10-15 years to lead GTs.
Parker

Re:

23 May 2018 19:29

Double post
Parker

23 May 2018 19:30

Parker wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:But if Froome appears at Tour the rest of the squad will play pure domestique role, also Bernal.

Exactly. It will be a great learning experience for him. He's got 10-15 years to lead GTs.

You know what teaches you more about leading a GT?

Leading a GT.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

Re:

23 May 2018 19:41

Red Rick wrote:Ohwell, the notion of GT as a Vuelta leader instead of Bernal is hilarious in the first place.

Bernal has 3 this year, and he would've had 4, including a win and 2 second places if not for crashing out of Catalunya.

But of course it is hillarious but Bernal as a leader at Vuelta will be an affront for GT.
If Sky wants to keep GT in squad Bernal wouldnt be a leader.
EDIT- and we should remember, GT is a Brit.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

23 May 2018 19:45

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Ohwell, the notion of GT as a Vuelta leader instead of Bernal is hilarious in the first place.

But of course it is hillarious but Bernal as a leader at Vuelta will be an affront for GT.

Why would you want to keep a rider who wants to lead a race he has no business leading?

That said, I guess a lot will depend on the outcome and aftermath of the Froome case.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

23 May 2018 19:45

Red Rick wrote:
Parker wrote:

You know what teaches you more about leading a GT?

Leading a GT.

Not on your debut. They're not like other races. Do you really think he can't learn anything from Froome?

Failure to deliver on overblown expectations has crushed many a young sportsman.
Parker

23 May 2018 19:56

Red Rick wrote:
Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:

Why would you want to keep a rider who wants to lead a race he has no business leading?

That said, I guess a lot will depend on the outcome and aftermath of the Froome case.

Yes, and it is likely Froome will not appear at Tour. And then? Bernal as a joker at Tour and.. leader at Vuelta.
It sounds incredible but is not absolutely impossible.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re: The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

23 May 2018 20:02

I think Bernal might be too good to go to a gt without being the leader. I might completely overrate him but if any rider in the peloton had done what he did in California we would assume he is one of the main favorites for the tour. I expect that both Thomas and Froome will struggle in the mountains for different reasons and both might be out of contention or at least relatively far behind after the first three mountain stages. If Bernal is able to climb with the best and the two Brits aren't, I really think it would be the wrong thing to pull him back. Imagine if Froome had been a few minutes behind yellow last year but sky still would have forbidden Landa to ride for himself. It sounds ridiculous but Bernal could face such a situation this year.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

23 May 2018 20:05

I hope he delays his Tour debut and rather goes for La Vuelta, where he can play a freelance role with no pressure, rather than becoming a superdomestique for Froome while being kept on the leash/team orders.....

If SKY plans to make Egan a GT winner, he better start "commanding & leading" the races he's going to be participating in, and not mix it with the Froome crew yet.....
User avatar hfer07
Veteran

23 May 2018 20:08

Gigs_98 wrote:I think Bernal might be too good to go to a gt without being the leader.

Froome's first GT podium was while supporting Wiggins
Contador's first podium (a win) started with him supporting Leipheimer
Quintana's first podium started with him supporting Valverde
Nibali's first podium was while supporting Basso's victory

Let him learn working for someone else. There's no rush.
Parker

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing