Log in:  

Register

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

23 May 2018 20:17

Gigs_98 wrote:I think Bernal might be too good to go to a gt without being the leader. I might completely overrate him but if any rider in the peloton had done what he did in California we would assume he is one of the main favorites for the tour. I expect that both Thomas and Froome will struggle in the mountains for different reasons and both might be out of contention or at least relatively far behind after the first three mountain stages. If Bernal is able to climb with the best and the two Brits aren't, I really think it would be the wrong thing to pull him back. Imagine if Froome had been a few minutes behind yellow last year but sky still would have forbidden Landa to ride for himself. It sounds ridiculous but Bernal could face such a situation this year.


Not on this route
Not with his build up
Not now
Not yet
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 14,292
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

23 May 2018 20:48

Can't we just wait for official confirmation before jumping to all sorts of scenarios? Team Sky will announce their team after Suiza.

The only thing we know is that they are considering him, which tells me that they don't have a real plan for him or go into panic mode once Froome doesn't deliver / isn't as good as anticipated. Short term seems to be more important than long term.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,970
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

Re: The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

24 May 2018 00:41

Parker wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I think Bernal might be too good to go to a gt without being the leader.

Froome's first GT podium was while supporting Wiggins
Contador's first podium (a win) started with him supporting Leipheimer
Quintana's first podium started with him supporting Valverde
Nibali's first podium was while supporting Basso's victory

Let him learn working for someone else. There's no rush.


All those guys also raced at least 1 GT before they were ready to compete - Nibali had 4, Froome 3, Quintana and Contador had 1.

Also he's a year younger than Froome/Nibali/Quintana were at their first GT and 2 younger than Contador.

Bernal's longest stage race so far has been nine days. I love him but it's crazy to say he should be an unquestioned lone GT leader already. First give him one with no pressure, where he can ride for someone else or try for some stages and get used to racing for three weeks.
blackcat wrote:you must respect the Cobra, a man who can give himself his own nickname. he trancends hubris.
User avatar luckyboy
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,624
Joined: 26 May 2009 21:26

24 May 2018 00:47

Andy Schleck got 2nd in his first GT. Gesink got 7th. They were 21 and 22 respectively. Pinot also rode top 10 in his first Tour.

It's not unheard of. If you're that good, you can do it in GTs as well.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator
 
Posts: 14,292
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15

Re: The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

24 May 2018 00:56

luckyboy wrote:
Parker wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I think Bernal might be too good to go to a gt without being the leader.

Froome's first GT podium was while supporting Wiggins
Contador's first podium (a win) started with him supporting Leipheimer
Quintana's first podium started with him supporting Valverde
Nibali's first podium was while supporting Basso's victory

Let him learn working for someone else. There's no rush.


All those guys also raced at least 1 GT before they were ready to compete - Nibali had 4, Froome 3, Quintana and Contador had 1.

Also he's a year younger than Froome/Nibali/Quintana were at their first GT and 2 younger than Contador.

Bernal's longest stage race so far has been nine days. I love him but it's crazy to say he should be an unquestioned lone GT leader already. First give him one with no pressure, where he can ride for someone else or try for some stages and get used to racing for three weeks.



Valverde's first GT podium 2003 Vuelta he was 23. He was not riding for anyone else. It was also the first Grand Tour he finished and was in his 2nd year as a pro. He competed in the 2002 Vuelta, but Kelme pulled him on the 2nd rest day as they had planned on doing before that Vuelta started. He would have been 2 years older than Bernal is now. Could he do well? Yes. However, I'd rather he not be put in that situation and race a different GT first.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,076
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

24 May 2018 09:54

Parker wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:I think Bernal might be too good to go to a gt without being the leader.

Froome's first GT podium was while supporting Wiggins
Contador's first podium (a win) started with him supporting Leipheimer
Quintana's first podium started with him supporting Valverde
Nibali's first podium was while supporting Basso's victory

Let him learn working for someone else. There's no rush.

So Quintana went to the tour being too good for being a dom, Contador went to the tour being too good for being a Dom and froome went to the vuelta being too good for being a dom. (Nibali is a different case as his team got the win anyway) What I was trying to say (tbh my post was very poorly written ) is that Bernal might go to the tour as a dom but if he is too good for that he might very well become the leader just like Quintana, Froome and contador. Therefore the whole argument of him going to the tour for so he doesn't have the pressure of being a leader might end with him being in the leader role anyway, which means sky's plan would completely backfire. That's what I was trying to bring across
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,276
Joined: 18 Feb 2015 18:36
Location: Austria

24 May 2018 10:41

Well this is the curse of being too good already at 21.. Whichever path you take might be wrong. To me Froome will be nowhere in the Tour after that reaally hard Giro, so Bernal will most probably end as the main GC hope. And Sky is probably the biggest team right now, so they have high expectations (you know with all my respect but it's easier to lead some smaller team FdJ, Cofidis..even Lotto's) and with all the hype this could burn the kid too early.. The Vuelta seems like the better choice, at least he wont be under the major spotlight and media hype in the Tour, but Sky look desperate.
However is there any 21 years old guy, who was expected to deliver big in his first GC ??
YavorD
New Member
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 08 Jul 2017 13:37

24 May 2018 12:39

Sky and Egan are already in talks for a contract extension.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,970
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

24 May 2018 13:01

Terrific, love this decision of Team Sky. Maybe they feel this could have a positive influence on their image as well. I don't care, I have high expectations for the kid. I'm not afraid this will burn him or something. Come on, don't be so anxious. The Tour isn't really that tough in recent years... (all GC riders seem relatively fresh in Paris, imho)
Pennino
Member
 
Posts: 347
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Re:

24 May 2018 17:26

Pennino wrote:Terrific, love this decision of Team Sky. Maybe they feel this could have a positive influence on their image as well. I don't care, I have high expectations for the kid. I'm not afraid this will burn him or something. Come on, don't be so anxious. The Tour isn't really that tough in recent years... (all GC riders seem relatively fresh in Paris, imho)


That is a good point about Sky’s image, if they take a climbing phenomenon, it takes a little of the talk off Froome.
User avatar Poursuivant
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,020
Joined: 07 Jun 2011 18:19

25 May 2018 20:18

Froome just confirmed his leader status for the Tour I guess.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

Re:

25 May 2018 20:20

Lequack wrote:Froome just confirmed his leader status for the Tour I guess.

aye they were going to give it to young Egan
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,253
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

Re:

25 May 2018 20:22

Lequack wrote:Froome just confirmed his leader status for the Tour I guess.

ASO has to agree too.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade
Member
 
Posts: 1,657
Joined: 23 Jan 2016 17:30

Re: Re:

25 May 2018 20:23

rick james wrote:
Lequack wrote:Froome just confirmed his leader status for the Tour I guess.

aye they were going to give it to young Egan


Perhaps the prospect of it drove Froome to his performance today. :)
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack
Member
 
Posts: 678
Joined: 10 Jul 2014 08:26

25 May 2018 20:25

Aye that what sent him bonkers today, the thought of a young Colombian team mate leading the tour de France
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,253
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

26 May 2018 19:44

Egan’s little brother is now picking up the bike as well. Be afraid, be very afraid. :D
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,970
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

30 May 2018 09:36

bernal no longer on dauphine startlist and is in colombia. Does that mean he will definitely start le Tour?
lmrt
New Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 13 Sep 2016 15:28

Re:

30 May 2018 09:52

lmrt wrote:bernal no longer on dauphine startlist and is in colombia. Does that mean he will definitely start le Tour?

Well chances are now that he will be at the Tour in my opinion, yes. Thats disappointing, but at the same time I can't say that I am not intrigued. With the losses of Nieve and Landa, it gets a bit more understandable, but still.. He will probably lose a bunch of time in the first week, at least thats what I hope, since they not only have Froome, but also Thomas and Poels who probably will try to stay up there.

Its a scary team if he gets selected.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,140
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

30 May 2018 12:21

Valv.Piti wrote:
lmrt wrote:bernal no longer on dauphine startlist and is in colombia. Does that mean he will definitely start le Tour?

Well chances are now that he will be at the Tour in my opinion, yes. Thats disappointing, but at the same time I can't say that I am not intrigued. With the losses of Nieve and Landa, it gets a bit more understandable, but still.. He will probably lose a bunch of time in the first week, at least thats what I hope, since they not only have Froome, but also Thomas and Poels who probably will try to stay up there.

Its a scary team if he gets selected.


I don't think Poels will try to stay up there, and theres no point of Bernal intentionally losing time. I think the white jersey will be in the back of Sky's minds
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,668
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

30 May 2018 12:26

Rumor has it he’ll be riding Suiza instead.
User avatar DNP-Old
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,970
Joined: 06 Aug 2014 17:38
Location: Sevilla, España

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Captain Sensible, Dekker_Tifosi, Iguana, jsem94, Leinster, Lequack, Max Rockatansky, tobydawq, Zinoviev Letter and 55 guests

Back to top