Register

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

30 May 2018 12:51

He should not ride anything before the Tour. just like Quintana did on his first.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

30 May 2018 12:57

Escarabajo wrote:He should not ride anything before the Tour. just like Quintana did on his first.

He should not ride the Tour period.
User avatar DNP-Old

30 May 2018 15:40

Dauphine vs Suisse - in both cases rivals would be quite strong.
But Bernal at Dauphine might be a sign he is preparing to TdF.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

30 May 2018 17:26

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:Dauphine vs Suisse - in both cases rivals would be quite strong.
But Bernal at Dauphine might be a sign he is preparing to TdF.

The rivals are considerably stronger in Tour de Suisse, but Thomas is doing the Duaphine, so its understandable.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

30 May 2018 17:28

He should definitely not ride Suisse if he's going to the Tour. L'Occitanne, sure, that's always nice enough.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

31 May 2018 09:57

It's happening, for ****'s sake.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

31 May 2018 10:34

DNP-Old wrote:Image

It's happening, for ****'s sake.

So no Bernal in Dauphine and Suisse? Tour inc.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

04 Jun 2018 12:48

The training designs Sky give him are completely normal for a 21 y/o, according to Egan. I beg to differ. 6h50m, 193k and 4736 vertical altitude meters is his latest Strava file, along with 32 race days in June and an incoming TDF participation.
User avatar DNP-Old

04 Jun 2018 12:58

His latest interview. He is excited to go to the Tour but he says that he is still not sure.

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/25576-seria-muy-bonito-poder-correr-el-tour-de-francia-egan-bernal.html
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

04 Jun 2018 12:59

Marginal gains, training, Sky knows best. At this point its a proven fact - they are better than anyone else in this aspect. Apparently..
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

04 Jun 2018 16:51

Valv.Piti wrote:Marginal gains, training, Sky knows best. At this point its a proven fact - they are better than anyone else in this aspect. Apparently..

It's just the oval chainrings.
Image Quack!
User avatar Lequack

Re: The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

13 Jun 2018 19:13

Xabier Artetxe, Team Sky's coach: "Egan Bernal wil try the pavé soon, we have to recon the cobbled stage and try different bikes..."

https://www.twitter.com/faustocoppi60/status/1006965119421698050

going to the Tour
pastronef

13 Jun 2018 19:42

Am I wrong in thinking he should be good on the Pavé given his mountain biking background?
User avatar AlexNYC

13 Jun 2018 21:33

pastronef wrote:Xabier Artetxe, Team Sky's coach: "Egan Bernal wil try the pavé soon, we have to recon the cobbled stage and try different bikes..."

going to the Tour

If he can get through the first week he will win at least white.
MatParker117

13 Jun 2018 22:19

MatParker117 wrote:
pastronef wrote:Xabier Artetxe, Team Sky's coach: "Egan Bernal wil try the pavé soon, we have to recon the cobbled stage and try different bikes..."

going to the Tour

I'm still not buying that they're taking him.

He's never done a Grand Tour, he's only 21, he hasn't raced since California, he's never ridden cobbles, he's never ridden with Froome, he's not training now with the core mountain group, he's never done a TTT with Sky. This just doesn't seem like Sky's way of doing things.
Parker

13 Jun 2018 23:42

So I was looking for sourcing on that and it turns out that Egan Bernal's girlfriend has a personal youtube channel running for him and it's really, well, sweet. And also very transparent. I noticed stopped posting his heart rate data on Strava after Gibraltar but the power numbers are still there -for the meantime, I'm reckon Sky will put an end to that at some point. They even got a team Sky coach to elaborate on his training regime live on camera. That has to be a first. On the flip side, baby-face does get listed among the guys he trains with.

Whatever else Egan, his family and even his coach, come off as good humble, genuinely nice people. I hope they keep this up. It seems very un-Sky like, for sure, but it might just go to show that Sky is either relaxing the reigns a bit or they're really keen on keeping him around.

But yeah, I do think he's gearing up for the Tour. There's a reason they sent a coach down to Colombia, and I'm guessing it wasn't just to say hi.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

14 Jun 2018 07:18

Parker wrote:
MatParker117 wrote:

going to the Tour

I'm still not buying that they're taking him.

He's never done a Grand Tour, he's only 21, he hasn't raced since California, he's never ridden cobbles, he's never ridden with Froome, he's not training now with the core mountain group, he's never done a TTT with Sky. This just doesn't seem like Sky's way of doing things.

Then not selecting him for any races makes absolute no sense, and how about the cobbles?

Egan is riding, its probably 99%.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

14 Jun 2018 07:26

carton wrote:So I was looking for sourcing on that and it turns out that Egan Bernal's girlfriend has a personal youtube channel running for him and it's really, well, sweet. And also very transparent. I noticed stopped posting his heart rate data on Strava after Gibraltar but the power numbers are still there -for the meantime, I'm reckon Sky will put an end to that at some point. They even got a team Sky coach to elaborate on his training regime live on camera. That has to be a first. On the flip side, baby-face does get listed among the guys he trains with.

Whatever else Egan, his family and even his coach, come off as good humble, genuinely nice people. I hope they keep this up. It seems very un-Sky like, for sure, but it might just go to show that Sky is either relaxing the reigns a bit or they're really keen on keeping him around.

But yeah, I do think he's gearing up for the Tour. There's a reason they sent a coach down to Colombia, and I'm guessing it wasn't just to say hi.

Listed? Sevilla and Egan train together almost on the daily. :D Marca even did an interview with Sevilla purely about Egan lmao.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

14 Jun 2018 07:31

carton wrote:So I was looking for sourcing on that and it turns out that Egan Bernal's girlfriend has a personal youtube channel running for him and it's really, well, sweet. And also very transparent. I noticed stopped posting his heart rate data on Strava after Gibraltar but the power numbers are still there -for the meantime, I'm reckon Sky will put an end to that at some point. They even got a team Sky coach to elaborate on his training regime live on camera. That has to be a first. On the flip side, baby-face does get listed among the guys he trains with.

I was in Italy a few weeks ago and drove past a beat up old transit van mini bus type thing. On one side was a pretty dodgy looking screen print type photo of Egan, with the banner "Egan Bernal Fan Club". Took me by surprise considering he wasn't at the Giro, hope i get to see the van at the Tour...it was really cool and totally at odds with the slick Sky image.

Wish i'd got a photo but was driving at the time :cool:
brownbobby

Re: Re:

14 Jun 2018 08:11

brownbobby wrote:

I was in Italy a few weeks ago and drove past a beat up old transit van mini bus type thing. On one side was a pretty dodgy looking screen print type photo of Egan, with the banner "Egan Bernal Fan Club". Took me by surprise considering he wasn't at the Giro, hope i get to see the van at the Tour...it was really cool and totally at odds with the slick Sky image.

Wish i'd got a photo but was driving at the time :cool:

Yes, they already founded a local fan club in the piemont region where he stayed when he was riding for Androni, all their Latin American riders live there in a hotel, Nivolet is their favourite training climbs and all the local U23 riders want to train with them.
Fun story, the Hotel owns a few Chickens and Cows (to provide fresh milk and eggs for the guests) and when he's not on the road Ivan Ramiro Sosa gets up early to feed them and take care of them, he says that it reminds him of his home and helps him not to get homesick.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing