Register

The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

29 Jun 2018 16:48

User avatar DNP-Old

Re: Re:

29 Jun 2018 17:13

brownbobby wrote:
Angliru wrote:
brownbobby wrote:
rick james wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:I’m still hoping that they don’t take him. Sky is strong enough as it is and honestly it would be annoying as hell seeing him slave for Froome of all people.

its about him learning from the master, if you can't see that then its a shame...its one big learning curve

Exactly, all this 'slave' nonsense...the kid is about to ride the biggest bike race in the world with the undisputed best GT team of recent times, a team which includes one of the best GC riders of this or any generations. A rider who one way or another within the next couple of years will be looking to pass the baton on to a young team mate.

For a future GT contender, opportunities to learn on the job really don't get much better. Its the stuff dreams are made of.

Referring to this opportunity as 'slavery' is an insult to the term.

What is the rush? With reduced rosters the pressure on Bernal will be magnified as will the attention from the media. He has ample time to learn without being thrown into the Tour as his first experience at a grand tour. I think this was the fear of quite a few of us and it's become a reality. I'm a firm believer that a step by step process of introducing young up and coming prospects to grand tours by having them ride the Vuelta or Giro as their first grand tour and then the Tour depending on how they do in Spain/Italy.

Ok, that's a fair view and one I initially shared, but I don't necessarily think he's being 'rushed, and even if I did, I along with you are not best placed to judge this.

Sky don't need Bernal to ride the Tour, they have any number of alternatives in the squad who could fill a spot and do an equal or better job to Bernal at this point in his career.

At best Froome has 1, maybe 2 years at most left as the dominant force he is. Sky need a replacement.

Bernal is 1, maybe 2 years away from being the future star of GC if he's as good as we think he is.

That's not coincidence. Bernal has been recruited to replace Froome in an orderly planned fashion, not to serve him.

So Sky will have thought long and hard how best to develop him over the next 2 years. Including him in the Tour is not a needs based decision, it's because they believe it's the right time for him already.

Whichever side of the Sky debate you support, they know what they're doing when it comes to preparing GC riders. They're closer to Egan than any of us, so if they say now is the time for him to ride the Tour, then who are we to say they're wrong.

I for one can't wait to see how he goes.

So excited to see Egan at the TdF.
Lets go EB!
:)
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

29 Jun 2018 20:10

brownbobby wrote:
Angliru wrote:
brownbobby wrote:
rick james wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:I’m still hoping that they don’t take him. Sky is strong enough as it is and honestly it would be annoying as hell seeing him slave for Froome of all people.

its about him learning from the master, if you can't see that then its a shame...its one big learning curve

Exactly, all this 'slave' nonsense...the kid is about to ride the biggest bike race in the world with the undisputed best GT team of recent times, a team which includes one of the best GC riders of this or any generations. A rider who one way or another within the next couple of years will be looking to pass the baton on to a young team mate.

For a future GT contender, opportunities to learn on the job really don't get much better. Its the stuff dreams are made of.

Referring to this opportunity as 'slavery' is an insult to the term.

What is the rush? With reduced rosters the pressure on Bernal will be magnified as will the attention from the media. He has ample time to learn without being thrown into the Tour as his first experience at a grand tour. I think this was the fear of quite a few of us and it's become a reality. I'm a firm believer that a step by step process of introducing young up and coming prospects to grand tours by having them ride the Vuelta or Giro as their first grand tour and then the Tour depending on how they do in Spain/Italy.

Ok, that's a fair view and one I initially shared, but I don't necessarily think he's being 'rushed, and even if I did, I along with you are not best placed to judge this.

Sky don't need Bernal to ride the Tour, they have any number of alternatives in the squad who could fill a spot and do an equal or better job to Bernal at this point in his career.

At best Froome has 1, maybe 2 years at most left as the dominant force he is. Sky need a replacement.

Bernal is 1, maybe 2 years away from being the future star of GC if he's as good as we think he is.

That's not coincidence. Bernal has been recruited to replace Froome in an orderly planned fashion, not to serve him.

So Sky will have thought long and hard how best to develop him over the next 2 years. Including him in the Tour is not a needs based decision, it's because they believe it's the right time for him already.

Whichever side of the Sky debate you support, they know what they're doing when it comes to preparing GC riders. They're closer to Egan than any of us, so if they say now is the time for him to ride the Tour, then who are we to say they're wrong.

I for one can't wait to see how he goes.

We are not best placed to make many of the judgements, opinions and analyzing that we do here on a daily basis, but we do anyway. Why would this specific incident be any different?
User avatar Angliru
Veteran

29 Jun 2018 22:58

Yes, but we can always temper our judgement with evidence.
Otherwise we risk turning into Matt DeCanio or Oscar Freire, wildly shooting at everyone with no regard for facts
User avatar GuyIncognito

02 Jul 2018 13:29

A couple of interesting tweets.

@ammattipyoraily
15 hours ago

10 min test climb near Galdakao in Basque Country
4.12 km, 7.33 %, 302 m | Sunday, July 1 | #TDF2018

Egan Bernal: 9 min 51 sec, 25.10 Kph, VAM 1840 m/h
Power meter: 428 W (60 kg = 7.13 W/kg, 59 kg = 7.25 W/kg)

@ammattipyoraily
15 hours ago

That's approximately at same level with Contador's 2016 best performances. For example uphill prologue in Criterium du Dauphine.
pablopaul

03 Jul 2018 09:55

It's confirmed. He starts.
User avatar DNP-Old

03 Jul 2018 10:01

Egan Bernal – Colombian – age 21

Making his Tour de France debut in his first season as a professional, the young Colombian has wasted little time in marking himself out as one of the hottest prospects in the sport. Bernal has claimed overall victories at both the Tour of California and Colombia Oro y Paz, in addition to second place at the Tour de Romandie and a national time trial title. A prodigious climbing talent, he will provide key backup in the high mountains.

User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

03 Jul 2018 10:02

DNP-Old wrote:

Making his Tour de France debut in his first season as a professional, the young Colombian has wasted little time in marking himself out as one of the hottest prospects in the sport. Bernal has claimed overall victories at both the Tour of California and Colombia Oro y Paz, in addition to second place at the Tour de Romandie and a national time trial title. A prodigious climbing talent, he will provide key backup in the high mountains.

Yes, it would be excellent to watch him!
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

Re:

03 Jul 2018 10:06

DNP-Old wrote:

It's his third season as a professional.
User avatar tobydawq

03 Jul 2018 11:15

tobydawq wrote:
DNP-Old wrote:

It's his third season as a professional.

You know how the british media pretend there was no football before 1992?
Welcome to the cycling version. Only his Sky years matter.
User avatar GuyIncognito

03 Jul 2018 11:27

As much as I’d love to see Bernal wreak havoc and hopefully drop Froome the way he rode away from Wigans, I’d prefer to see Bernal have free license in the Vuelta. Pushing too deep for Froome over three weeks may not be beneficial to his development at this stage. Better to let Bernal find his feet like Movistar did with Quintana in 2012.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

03 Jul 2018 11:52

Well, they don't and he's surely not going to ride the Vuelta now, so havoc-wreaking is what can be hoped for.
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

03 Jul 2018 12:43

tobydawq wrote:Well, they don't and he's surely not going to ride the Vuelta now, so havoc-wreaking is what can be hoped for.

How about the podium and the White Jersey?
MatParker117

03 Jul 2018 12:56

So how's Bernal over cobbles? :)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

03 Jul 2018 13:00

Who will be his main white jersey rivals?
Son of Amsterhammer

Re:

03 Jul 2018 13:03

Son of Amsterhammer wrote:Who will be his main white jersey rivals?

Latour and Guillaume Martin, with outsiders in Soler, Martínez and Gaudu and long shots in Tolhoek and Benoot.
User avatar tobydawq

03 Jul 2018 13:04

MatParker117 wrote:
tobydawq wrote:Well, they don't and he's surely not going to ride the Vuelta now, so havoc-wreaking is what can be hoped for.

How about the podium and the White Jersey?

Podium and white jersey is included in the wreaking havoc :)
User avatar tobydawq

Re:

03 Jul 2018 13:32

He's also got to be hot favourite for the under 23 Worlds on that course. No need to burn him out at the Vuelta.
Parker

Re:

03 Jul 2018 13:43

pablopaul wrote:A couple of interesting tweets.

@ammattipyoraily
15 hours ago

10 min test climb near Galdakao in Basque Country
4.12 km, 7.33 %, 302 m | Sunday, July 1 | #TDF2018

Egan Bernal: 9 min 51 sec, 25.10 Kph, VAM 1840 m/h
Power meter: 428 W (60 kg = 7.13 W/kg, 59 kg = 7.25 W/kg)

@ammattipyoraily
15 hours ago

That's approximately at same level with Contador's 2016 best performances. For example uphill prologue in Criterium du Dauphine.

Huh. And he's actually more like 58.5 kg at training weight, 58 kg at race weight.
"Christmas is tomorrow... Let's get in the break." - Matt Hayman, 4/9/16
"What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness." - Tolstoy
User avatar carton

03 Jul 2018 15:56

His main "rivals" is he has no GT experience and his domestique's duties. In reference to white jersey he can overcome these, but not in a case of podium.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing