Register

Richard Carapaz discussion thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

18 Jul 2017 14:04

http://www.elperiodico.com/es/noticias/deportes/marc-soler-correra-vuelta-espana-6175884
El Movistar también llevará a la carrera al primer ecuatoriano que ha apostado por el profesionalismo de primer nivel, Richard Caparaz, segundo en la Ruta del Sur, y con un brillante futuro. Rubén Fernández, otro vencedor del Tour del Porvenir, será otro de los atractivos del conjunto de Telefónica.

Carapaz is IN for la Vuelta!
User avatar DNP-Old

Re: Richard Carapaz discussion thread

06 Sep 2017 16:18

First of all, I'm sorry for my english. :redface:

I'm glad Richard's level in this Vuelta; but the one thing disturb me it's the the way wich he has to "manage" the climbs like today.
He wants all the time follow attacks off Contador, Froome, Lopez and others and others but he never rises at its own pace.
And obviously at the end he lost much of time.

For exemple, today : behind Pedrero but he followed Contador and Lopez one moment.
Same on the stage "Sierra de La Pandera" or "Calar Alto".
I think that it's a pity for him.
Orodreth

06 Sep 2017 18:26

hope carapaz will develop in a good climbing domestique Movistar desperate need those to try avoid team sky another tour de france in 2018
User avatar telencefalus

06 Sep 2017 18:45

Orodreth wrote:First of all, I'm sorry for my english. :redface:

I'm glad Richard's level in this Vuelta; but the one thing disturb me it's the the way wich he has to "manage" the climbs like today.
He wants all the time follow attacks off Contador, Froome, Lopez and others and others but he never rises at its own pace.

For exemple, today : behind Pedrero but he followed Contador and Lopez one moment.

I think he's doing ok. He's a neo-pro, whose success at home in South America and quick adaptation to the Spanish domestic scene came often with exuberant and aggressive racing, so he's prone to overdoing it with regards to the pace he tries to ride on some of these climbs after a day at World Tour péloton pace. As he learns that he'll become a more dangerous rider. He's very good on medium mountain type terrain, so this is a good learning experience for him. Unzué is a very patient rider developer (sometimes too patient) even with strong talents like Soler, so the faith he's showing in Richi with the free hand to learn the GT ropes rather than with any pressure on him as a rider for Nairito or Valverde to rely on in the mountains shows they think they've got something good with him.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

07 Sep 2017 12:26

Libertine Seguros wrote:
Orodreth wrote:First of all, I'm sorry for my english. :redface:

I think he's doing ok. He's a neo-pro, whose success at home in South America and quick adaptation to the Spanish domestic scene came often with exuberant and aggressive racing, so he's prone to overdoing it with regards to the pace he tries to ride on some of these climbs after a day at World Tour péloton pace. As he learns that he'll become a more dangerous rider. He's very good on medium mountain type terrain, so this is a good learning experience for him. Unzué is a very patient rider developer (sometimes too patient) even with strong talents like Soler, so the faith he's showing in Richi with the free hand to learn the GT ropes rather than with any pressure on him as a rider for Nairito or Valverde to rely on in the mountains shows they think they've got something good with him.

Do you think he can realize a good performance on El Angliru ?
Orodreth

09 Sep 2017 16:03

11° in El Angliru. Very very great ! :surprised:
Orodreth

09 Sep 2017 18:25

What a rider.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

09 Sep 2017 18:37

DNP-Old wrote:What a rider.

This guy will win a GT in the future.
Joomla10

09 Sep 2017 18:51

Great performance from the Ecuadorian. He is still very inconsistent, but shows signs of being capable of a lot more
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

09 Sep 2017 20:44

Great performance by the little rider!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

09 Sep 2017 21:17

Very good today. Showed his talent yet again.
I think it's the sign of a clean rider and a real sportsman to be attracted to the bigger challenge over the ultimate result. Good luck with the Giro/Tour double, Chris Froome. -Phil Gaimon
Forever The Best

10 Sep 2017 07:31

Impressive ride from Carapaz yesterday and during the whole of this Vuelta. looking forward to seeing how he does next year.
User avatar mariposa

28 Apr 2018 15:28

First pro victory in the making! 32 seconds advantage on El Acebo.
User avatar DNP-Old

28 Apr 2018 17:31

:D
User avatar DNP-Old

28 Apr 2018 23:32

Movistar has two very talented riders with Carapaz and Soler. There's life after Valverde after all.. Though i think this Carapaz will perform better in GT's as he seems to have more climbing ability than Soler, who i feel is a bit limited in the high mountains.
Moviestar

Re:

29 Apr 2018 06:26

Moviestar wrote:Movistar has two very talented riders with Carapaz and Soler. There's life after Valverde after all.. Though i think this Carapaz will perform better in GT's as he seems to have more climbing ability than Soler, who i feel is a bit limited in the high mountains.

Isn't Carapaz more of a Purito-Valverde type than a pure climber as well? None of those are pure in that aspect, they can do other stuff as well which is great. I think Soler is the more likely GC-winner, but on the other hand, we haven't really sniffed at Carapaz' potential just yet. Im super intrigued by him for this Giro.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

29 Apr 2018 12:15

First of many. This is so much more than just a simple victory. In Ecuador, they only care about one thing and one thing only, which is football. Things like these could open the eyes of not only the people, but also the government to invest more into cycling. This success by Carapaz and Caicedo and in the near future Jhonnatan Narvaez and Jefferson Cepeda, could be the stepping stone for many more talented Ecuadorians to get into cycling.
User avatar DNP-Old

30 Apr 2018 09:55

Hope he gets to target a stage or two in the Giro - very promising.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

30 Apr 2018 12:54

Robert5091 wrote:Hope he gets to target a stage or two in the Giro - very promising.

He certainly will, he has no team obligations what so ever, Amador isn't riding and Betancur.. Most likely he won't try for GC (unless something unexpected happens) so he should at least hit 2 breaks he can win from.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 May 2018 15:19

The boy's in white!

(i think)
User avatar DNP-Old

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing