Register

Tracking the French drought

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

16 Apr 2016 15:20

movingtarget wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:
movingtarget wrote:I don't think the French are any closer to winning a Grand Tour when you see the opposition they have still. Yes there are some good riders like Pinot and Bardet but I see them as top five riders at best.

This kind of statement forgets that the field in Grand Tours can be very uneven. 2014 Tour wasn't really that much of an anomaly if you look at the three GTs rather than just the TdF. Neither Pinot nor Bardet can win the Tour de France without showing a big improvement in level. But if you can podium or top 5 a weak edition of the Tour, you can win a weak Vuelta or even Giro. Pinot and Bardet have more GT pedigree than a Hesjedal, Cobo or Horner.

The fact that they are French makes that harder, of course, because they are likely to target the Giro or Vuelta in the first place.

Can't see it happening for them this year but when Contador has retired and Froome and others start to go backwards re a generational change it might be possible. You can never tell with young riders unless they find immediate success which is rare these days in GTs.

Certainly possible PInot or Bardet take a step forward in future years but I'm thinking it would have to be a year similar to 2014 when some top riders have bad luck through crash/illness or the like. Unfortunately for them, Nairo and Aru are the same age, though you never know in what years Aru might focus on the Giro. I prefer Bardet but at this point Pinot looks to be the better bet, having upped his TT game.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re: Tracking the French drought

16 Apr 2016 17:37

Kwibus wrote:
Tonton wrote:
ciranda wrote:
CheckMyPecs wrote:Tour de Suisse: Gaspard Rinaldi (1935)

Christophe Agnolutto won the TdS in 1997

True. The tortoise that hares never caught...

Between Demare, Nacer, Coquard and Gallopin, Alaphilippe, Vuillermoz, Bardet, French sprinters and punchers should update that list in the years to come. Pinot at the GDL also. Gougeard and Latour can break through as well. For the GTs, maybe '17 or '18. It depends on many factors that we can't discuss here. A lot of Jalabert on that list :rolleyes: .

French cycling is better than it has been in over 20 years.

You say you can't discuss it here, but I'm afraid you don't want to see reality. a bit naive for a good member of this forum.

Naive maybe. And/or optimistic, as it relates to Pinot. I have been wrong before. I'll be wrong again. But it's the kind of outlook that has helped me keep my passion for cycling over the years. I still hope that there are good guys, that the good guys can/will win, and that the sport will evolve in a positive way.
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

18 Apr 2016 10:31

I know that this thread is actually not about the French drought as a whole but the French drought on GT's :rolleyes:

But how come that Jean Stablinski is the last French to win Amstel while he's Polish and Hinault won it 15 years after him? And nobody spotted that error after two pages? (unless a French won yesterday, but pretty sure it's not the case, haven't seen the race :p)
Echoes

18 Apr 2016 10:40

Echoes wrote:But how come that Jean Stablinski is the last French to win Amstel while he's Polish and Hinault won it 15 years after him? And nobody spotted that error after two pages? (unless a French won yesterday, but pretty sure it's not the case, haven't seen the race :p)

Stablinski may have been of Polish descent, but he was born in the very French-sounding Thun-Saint-Amand! :D

On another note, correction duly noted. Cheers.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

19 Apr 2016 14:53

Vuillermoz out of the FW due to injury. He was one of the French hopes for the Mur de Huy.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

20 Apr 2016 14:44

Close but no cigar today for Alaphilippe.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

20 Apr 2016 14:45

Stop it now, Bala! :D
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

20 Apr 2016 14:58

Alexandre B. wrote:Stop it now, Bala! :D

A few places behind Ala, Barguil claimed 9th place. There's still hope! :D
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

20 Apr 2016 15:03

Alaphillipe is the one who is going to break the Ardennes drought for the French. Impressive performance great talent
IndianCyclist

20 Apr 2016 15:04

Alaphilippe seems the most talented of the french guys ahead of Pinot, Bouhanni, Bardet and Demare in that order.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

20 Apr 2016 15:24

6 Frenchies in top 20 at FW!
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

25 Apr 2016 15:39

Barguil, not Bardet, was the best French rider in yesterday's race.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

02 May 2016 05:58

Again, Pinot was close in Romandie, but he was unable to end a drought now running at 16 years.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

02 May 2016 08:38

CheckMyPecs wrote:Stablinski may have been of Polish descent, but he was born in the very French-sounding Thun-Saint-Amand! :D

On another note, correction duly noted. Cheers.

Stab officially had Polish citizenship until 1948. If I'm not mistaken both his parents were Polish, his father being a migrant to the Nord's coal mines. Stab himself worked in the coal mine in Aremberg, hence his discovery of the famous cobbled section. He's the only person to have worked under and above it, lol.

But okay, I was being a bit facetious.

On the other note, no problem, everybody makes mistakes.
Echoes

Re:

02 May 2016 09:46

Valv.Piti wrote:Alaphilippe seems the most talented of the french guys ahead of Pinot, Bouhanni, Bardet and Demare in that order.

I would definitely put in Coquard somewhere among those guys. Based on 2016 alone, I would go as far as stating that Coquard has been among the three most promising Frenchman this year.
User avatar Hugo Koblet
Veteran

29 May 2016 20:51

Nothing of note for la belle France in the Giro, then.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

29 May 2016 23:05

Ninja 11st Dupont, worth noticing :D
User avatar Krokro

Re:

29 May 2016 23:09

Krokro wrote:Ninja 11st Dupont, worth noticing :D

The French Haimar :D .
Well, actually Haimar gets in the top-10 :D .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

30 May 2016 02:49

Wow, what a succesfull rider was Jalabert! I was a child when he was in his prime, so I knew name, along with some others, but I didn't actually know anything about which races existed, and what all he had won. I feel like when people speak about the great riders of the last decades, his name does not often come up. In France he is a popular TV persona, but I feel that he is never seen as being on the same level as Hinault or Fignon for example. It's a shame because he has a great palmarès.
User avatar Christian
Veteran

30 May 2016 03:21

Christian wrote:Wow, what a succesfull rider was Jalabert! I was a child when he was in his prime, so I knew name, along with some others, but I didn't actually know anything about which races existed, and what all he had won. I feel like when people speak about the great riders of the last decades, his name does not often come up. In France he is a popular TV persona, but I feel that he is never seen as being on the same level as Hinault or Fignon for example. It's a shame because he has a great palmarès.

Everyone who was great in the '90s has, of necessity, had a bit of shade cast upon their accomplishments in the years since. That said, given the sketchy playing field of the time, Jalabert was amazing in both the breadth and the depth of his winnings -- a lot like Sean Kelly in many respects.
User avatar yetanothergreenworld

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing