Register

Tracking the French drought

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

30 May 2016 05:55

Now we're off to the Dauphiné, where Pinot will no doubt try to repeat Moreau's success in 2007.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

01 Jun 2016 07:28

Now that I think of it, if all the big favourites head to Italy for the 100th Giro and are tired for the Tour, Pinot may have a real chance of winning it. The Giro-Tour double seems impossible in the modern era, so anyone who was fresh for the Tour would have a big advantage
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

Re:

01 Jun 2016 17:07

CheckMyPecs wrote:Now that I think of it, if all the big favourites head to Italy for the 100th Giro and are tired for the Tour, Pinot may have a real chance of winning it. The Giro-Tour double seems impossible in the modern era, so anyone who was fresh for the Tour would have a big advantage

My understanding is Pinot is riding the Giro 2017 - This may have been about his contract re-negotiations.
yaco

01 Jun 2016 20:15

I'm not sure that's a good idea -surely it's the chance of his lifetime to win the Tour if the big boys are elsewhere?
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

02 Jun 2016 01:47

If the French arrive at the Vuelta fresh, they definitely have a good chance to win whether the big four participate or not. Look at what Dumoulin did last year.
The french had great track cyclists but none of them are there in the road scene whereas Britain & Australia have managed to do so. The french are behind w.r.t methods as exemplified by Madiot and spoken by Rolland. Voeckler came closest to wining the tour and he was not a mountain climber of any note. There is talent but not properly trained or spotted or motivated. Maybe they should hire Sutton.
IndianCyclist

Re:

15 Jun 2016 15:12

IndianCyclist wrote:If the French arrive at the Vuelta fresh, they definitely have a good chance to win whether the big four participate or not. Look at what Dumoulin did last year.

Sadly for la belle France, Pinot didn't manage to green its laurels at the Dauphiné. Moreau remains the last French winner of the race. I don't know who could win TdS for France this year.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

Re: Re:

15 Jun 2016 15:35

CheckMyPecs wrote:
IndianCyclist wrote:If the French arrive at the Vuelta fresh, they definitely have a good chance to win whether the big four participate or not. Look at what Dumoulin did last year.

Sadly for la belle France, Pinot didn't manage to green its laurels at the Dauphiné. Moreau remains the last French winner of the race. I don't know who could win TdS for France this year.

Pierre Latour. :D
User avatar Alexandre B.

19 Jun 2016 15:39

Pinot 2nd in Romandie
Bardet 2nd in Dauphiné
Barguil 3rd in Suisse.

We're there. But not winning...
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Tracking the French drought

19 Jun 2016 21:45

I hope the French do win the Tour soon, it would boost the interest in the race massively and you would see much bigger crowds on the roads, also the French media wouldn't be so irresponsible and bad at reporting on other riders, as they wouldn't be blinded by jealousy.
User avatar Oliwright

20 Jun 2016 13:26

Oliwright wrote:I hope the French do win the Tour soon, it would boost the interest in the race massively and you would see much bigger crowds on the roads, also the French media wouldn't be so irresponsible and bad at reporting on other riders, as they wouldn't be blinded by jealousy.

for that Quintana has to retire
IndianCyclist

20 Jun 2016 13:54

CheckMyPecs wrote:Sadly for la belle France, Pinot didn't manage to green its laurels at the Dauphiné. Moreau remains the last French winner of the race. I don't know who could win TdS for France this year.

Now I realize how you remembered Agnolutto so soon! I hadn't noticed this thread yet.

The French can win the Tour before 2022 in a year when Quintana has bad luck, Aru focuses on the Giro and Pinot, Bardet or Barguil reaches the form of his life. At least their chances are better than ten years ago.

A Frenchman who wins the Tour would get a statue as big as the Eiffel Tower.
User avatar Pantani_lives

20 Jun 2016 15:43

IndianCyclist wrote:
Oliwright wrote:I hope the French do win the Tour soon, it would boost the interest in the race massively and you would see much bigger crowds on the roads, also the French media wouldn't be so irresponsible and bad at reporting on other riders, as they wouldn't be blinded by jealousy.

for that Quintana has to retire

Or get sick once or fall off once or lose stupid time in crosswinds once or...
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

20 Jun 2016 15:49

Pantani_lives wrote:
CheckMyPecs wrote:Sadly for la belle France, Pinot didn't manage to green its laurels at the Dauphiné. Moreau remains the last French winner of the race. I don't know who could win TdS for France this year.

Now I realize how you remembered Agnolutto so soon! I hadn't noticed this thread yet.

The French can win the Tour before 2022 in a year when Quintana has bad luck, Aru focuses on the Giro and Pinot, Bardet or Barguil reaches the form of his life. At least their chances are better than ten years ago.

I think Pinot is genuinely there, close to or at the very top of the second tier riders after the big 4. I don't know if he's better than Aru, but I'm pretty sure he could beat him all things being equal. Pinot could win the Tour as soon as next year if the top riders decide to go to the special edition Giro. Even if only Froome and Quintana go to the Giro, I think Pinot would have a chance against Nibali and a one-year-older Contador, specially if next year's Tour has a long ITT that suits him.
AlexNYC

20 Jun 2016 15:53

AlexNYC wrote:
Pantani_lives wrote:

I think Pinot is genuinely there, close to or at the very top of the second tier riders after the big 4. I don't know if he's better than Aru, but I'm pretty sure he could beat him all things being equal. Pinot could win the Tour as soon as next year if the top riders decide to go to the special edition Giro. Even if only Froome and Quintana go to the Giro, I think Pinot would have a chance against Nibali and a one-year-older Contador, specially if next year's Tour has a long ITT that suits him.

My understanding is that as part of his contract re-negotiations Pinot demanded to ride the Giro - Though the 100th edition will be a hot field.
yaco

22 Jun 2016 13:45

Very silly of Pinot to ride the Giro in 2016. I know it's the 100th edition, but come on, when will be the next time that all the big foreign riders enter the Tour with another GT in their legs?
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

Re:

22 Jun 2016 13:57

CheckMyPecs wrote:Very silly of Pinot to ride the Giro in 2016. I know it's the 100th edition, but come on, when will be the next time that all the big foreign riders enter the Tour with another GT in their legs?

I think that if he sees them (Froome/Quintana/Contador/Nibali) go to the Giro, he will go to the Tour instead. Something that the sponsors and DS's probably will celebrate!
User avatar Simurgh

06 Jul 2016 15:56

Barguil, Bardet, Alaphillipe and Pinot all still there and all looking pretty good so far.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

06 Jul 2016 17:54

King Boonen wrote:Barguil, Bardet, Alaphillipe and Pinot all still there and all looking pretty good so far.

Don't forget Rolland. Alaphilippe will crack in the mountains.

Climbing support, though.
Image Image
User avatar Alexandre B.

07 Jul 2016 08:45

Alexandre B. wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Barguil, Bardet, Alaphillipe and Pinot all still there and all looking pretty good so far.

Don't forget Rolland. Alaphilippe will crack in the mountains.

Climbing support, though.
Image Image

Yep, I thought I have put Rolland down, he's in my Velogames squad!

I'm interested to see how Alaphillipe does, but I think you're very likely right. I'm hoping they will all have a dig at some point and not just ride for a top 10, although I think Barguil will just want to sit there and secure the white jersey.

I'm not ruling out a couple of French riders on the podium. It's a long shot but the Tour hasn't really started yet and anything can happen!
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

15 Mar 2017 22:34

Nokere Koerse is a new thing. :p
User avatar Alexandre B.

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing