Register

Tracking the French drought

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

04 Mar 2018 14:05

Ricco' wrote:What about Madouas? What can we expect from him?

Very strong start of season for a neo-pro.

He seems to be an all rounder at the moment. He can climb (15t in the last tour de l'avenir, 16th in Le tour de Savoie Mont Blanc), sprint, and makes some good prologue or short ITT.

But I think it's best prospect is on the Ardennes races. He won the 2016 U-23 french championship in front of Gaudu on a Ardennes type profil, which was won by Vichot in the Elite race. He is very good on short climb (2'-10' effort).

It's a talent for sure but it's hard for sure to know how these all rounders are going to develop themselves in the future. He looks like like Gallopin, I said.
User avatar Chrispol

11 Mar 2018 14:20

Spanish generational decline is still better in big results than our "golden" generation of stage racers.

Quite depressing.
User avatar Alexandre B.

15 Apr 2018 15:20

Slovenian and Danish riders win races. French riders win stages.

Another brilliant display today.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re: Tracking the French drought

18 Apr 2018 14:26

Come on Alex, this is your day, this thread is yours. ;)
User avatar Chrispol

18 Apr 2018 14:28

Well, nice with the odd WT one day race every now-and-then. ;)
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

19 Apr 2018 00:36

Alex, take some medicine, or 5-6 Armagnacs and stop being so negative, for Pete's sake! Jalaphilippe won the FW, Pinot is doing well (thank you very much :p ), the Giro is looking good. we have some depth and young riders like Gaudu. Heck, if Bardet could ITT, he would have won last year's TdF instead of saving a podium for .87 of a second.

Young riders: Gaudu, mentored by good-guy Pinot is like Mahomes mentored by Alex Smith. Go Chiefs! David will thrive, win, and win big. Jalaphilippe has 5-8 years of being a factor. Demare is still young. Madouas? Could be good. Hivert? Calmejane? Cosnefroy?

Have no fear my friend...French kids can run bikes. And on a personal level, just stop trolling on Pinot, like I just did on Bardet, who can't ITT around his own block :p ....
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

19 Apr 2018 01:24

Bardet most definitely needs to learn how to ride an ITT. I agree with Tonton that if he could have done a decent ITT he'd have won the TdF last year and would have been on the podium in 2014.
Alaphilippe has proven over the last couple of years that he can win stages and do very well in the Ardennes. He's never going to win a GT (He's said he wants to be a classics rider).
User avatar Koronin

19 Apr 2018 08:06

Tonton wrote:Alex, take some medicine, or 5-6 Armagnacs and stop being so negative, for Pete's sake! Jalaphilippe won the FW, Pinot is doing well (thank you very much :p ), the Giro is looking good. we have some depth and young riders like Gaudu. Heck, if Bardet could ITT, he would have won last year's TdF instead of saving a podium for .87 of a second.

Young riders: Gaudu, mentored by good-guy Pinot is like Mahomes mentored by Alex Smith. Go Chiefs! David will thrive, win, and win big. Jalaphilippe has 5-8 years of being a factor. Demare is still young. Madouas? Could be good. Hivert? Calmejane? Cosnefroy?

Have no fear my friend...French kids can run bikes. And on a personal level, just stop trolling on Pinot, like I just did on Bardet, who can't ITT around his own block :p ....

Hivert? As in the 33-year-old Jonathan Hivert?
I wouldn't call him a guy for the future...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

19 Apr 2018 21:54

Yes, my bad :) . I could be his father...it's not him being young, it's me being old.

For the drought, not hat it's a GT but still, the only French win in Trentino was Luc Leblanc in '97. Hold on Thibaut...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

30 Sep 2018 17:23

Will successful french riders from french teams ever win something big again apart for stage wins?

I don't give a damn about the guy who ride for Lefevere.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

30 Sep 2018 18:22

Alexandre B. wrote:Will successful french riders from french teams ever win something big again apart for stage wins?

I don't give a damn about the guy who ride for Lefevere.

Don't be so grouchy Alexandre :) . Today was a little disappointing, but not a fiasco. When our team lit it up, they shattered the field...it's been a while since we saw that, if ever. We have guys who can win big...
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

10 Oct 2018 18:03

Yay, another twentieth century cobweb is cleared.
User avatar Alexandre B.

10 Oct 2018 18:50

To be fair, that was their shortest period of wait between two wins in that particular race.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

10 Oct 2018 22:33

RedheadDane wrote:To be fair, that was their shortest period of wait between two wins in that particular race.

In '97, Jaja went on to win the GDL as well...wouldn't it be nice (Beach Boys music playing in the background).
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

13 Oct 2018 14:32

Well... here it is
rghysens

Re: Re:

13 Oct 2018 14:34

Tonton wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:To be fair, that was their shortest period of wait between two wins in that particular race.

In '97, Jaja went on to win the GDL as well...wouldn't it be nice (Beach Boys music playing in the background).

Here it is! Great ride by Tibo and you must over the moon.
User avatar the asian

13 Oct 2018 14:36

What a way to end this. Chapeau.
Krokro

Re: Re:

13 Oct 2018 14:52

Tonton wrote:

Spoiler: It is nice!

Hot take: After the season both Bardet and Pinot had, I would like to see both of them put Grand Tour wins on the back burner and focus on one day races for a year or two.
User avatar LiquidCrystalDynamic

13 Oct 2018 15:36

For all my whiny comments about this great generation of riders lacking big wins, that was a great season.

1st in Il Lombardia, Flèche Wallonne, Clasica San Sebastian, Milano-Torino.
2nd in World Championships, Strade Bianche.
3rd in Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Milano-Sanremo, Gent-Wevelgem, Volta a Catalanya.

Tour of the Alps is also nice, as are stages in Grands Tours.

When I started to follow the sport, the biggest achievement we could afford was winning a stage in the Tour de France.
User avatar Alexandre B.

Re:

13 Oct 2018 16:01

Alexandre B. wrote:For all my whiny comments about this great generation of riders lacking big wins, that was a great season.

1st in Il Lombardia, Flèche Wallonne, Clasica San Sebastian, Milano-Torino.
2nd in World Championships, Strade Bianche.
3rd in Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Milano-Sanremo, Gent-Wevelgem, Volta a Catalanya.

Tour of the Alps is also nice, as are stages in Grands Tours.

When I started to follow the sport, the biggest achievement we could afford was winning a stage in the Tour de France.

We're back on top of the World Alexandre! :)
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing