Register

EF-Cannondale-Drapac

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

09 Jul 2018 15:53

jmdirt wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Let's move away from what 'place' they might get because that doesn't really mean anything. If they get 18th but only lose 40 second, that's better than getting 10th and losing a minute (to the main GC rivals). It sounds like its a technical course with a steep climb at about the halfway point so is that enough to tighten the time gaps?

I'm going to buy a lottery ticket today! :lol:
That's a good result for the team and RU!

And actually you were spot on about the comments and time gaps.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

09 Jul 2018 17:08

This TTT was certainly above my expectations, especially with Craddock injured (he wasn't even the first guy in the team to drop off, respect). Only 35 secs lost on 35 kms. Beating teams like Bahrain, Movistar, Katusha and BORA after almost going bust last year and having the last transfer window heavily compromised. Long time since the team has performed this well in TTT in a big race.

And Rolland finished finished s.t. I didn't expect that. Maybe those hills were harder than I expected so they didn't want to drop good climbers early.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

Re: EF-Cannondale-Drapac

11 Jul 2018 16:59

Did Roglic teach him how to use the Telemark landing technique?
Anderis

Re: EF-Cannondale-Drapac

15 Jul 2018 14:43

A bad day for Uran. While, according to the team, he had a crash, I'm more worried about his performance than about the time loss. It looked to me that every time the peloton split, Uran was always in trouble. And other GC riders caught in trouble were able to limit their losses much better. He didn't look good in stages 5 and 6 as well. I'm afraid something went wrong and he is not in great form. Tuesday will give us more clue.

On the other hand, Rolland is doing surprisingly well on stages that were supposed not to suit him. It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in top10 GC and ahead of Uran in the end.
Anderis

15 Jul 2018 14:45

They will end blaming today for Uran's poor showing later in the race to save face. I think the sponsors expected Uran to replicate last year's results.
MuskyOurSaviour

Re:

19 Jul 2018 09:57

MuskyOurSaviour wrote:They will end blaming today for Uran's poor showing later in the race to save face. I think the sponsors expected Uran to replicate last year's results.

Well, I expected him to replicate last year's results ;)

Very prescient post. TdF is kind of a disaster for EF. However, Craddock's ride is probably giving them as much positive publicity, maybe more, than if Uran had scored a Top 10 GC placing.

On the subject of Lawson...is his shoulder healing? It must be. 107k raised for a velodrome is pretty impressive.
Bolder

30 Sep 2018 16:08

Great job by Rusty Woods today. From being a runner to a medal at Worlds. I'm really happy for the guy
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

30 Sep 2018 17:55

jaylew wrote:Great job by Rusty Woods today. From being a runner to a medal at Worlds. I'm really happy for the guy

I hope he wins something big next year, be it Liege, or a Tour stage. I don't think he wants to look back on 2018 as the best year of his cycling career.
Leinster

08 Oct 2018 13:49

EF and Rapha announced their partnership today for the 2019 season. There's a buzzword-filled announcement here ("... with the aim of taking a disruptive approach to the sport throughout the 2019 season and beyond" :rolleyes: ), and apparently some of their riders will not only do regular road races, but also "mixed calendar of events in the 2019 season, including the WorldTour schedule and also criteriums, ultra-endurance races and renowned mixed-terrain events."
davebqvst

01 Feb 2019 20:00

A decent start of the season for the team with 3 wins in 3 consecutive days. None of these came from races with quality fields but it's good to see that they are at least not struggling to take these easy wins like they were last year.

I wonder what this season will bring. After 2017 sponsorship trouble, the older key riders mostly stayed with the team, but the whole generation of riders who were about to enter their prime like Formolo, Bevin, Van Baarle, Bettiol etc. left almost entirely, leaving the team with a generation hole to fill. Now EF has to build it again from young riders.

The 2018-->2019 transfer window has brought some interesting names and I would say, the general amount of talent has increased during that period, as expected after compromised 2017-->2018 transfer period. Maybe there weren't any stand-out signings but the depth of the team is better than it was last year.

Bettiol is back and it's exactly the type of rider EF was missing last year- someone with a bit of versatility who can deal with the hills as well as has a decent sprint and rolling skills. Hopefully he can rediscover his 2016-2017 level after a rough 2018.
Van Garderen and Kangert will both bring a much needed combination of riders who can climb and TT at the same time. It will provide the team much needed options whenever there will be stage race with a TTT of significance or maybe a TT-heavy one-week race. I'm not naive about TJVG ever reaching the level he had in 2014-2015, but even his results from some of his weakest seasons would still be decent additions. He has taken a WT win in every of his last 5 seasons.
Van den Berg and Whelan both seem interesting prospects and I will curiously follow their development. Caicedo should add some climbing depth and we will see what Hofland can bring. I wouldn't bet my money on him rediscovering his form from his best years but I think I would still take him over riders like Canty, Will Clarke, Magnusson or Cardona who all did very little last year.

Moreover, the important question for the immediate future of the team is if Martinez and Carthy can step up a little bit more. If yes, then the team will have plenty of options to cover the GC fight of all of the mountainous stage races in calendar.

Between Martinez and Woods there are perhaps the 2 biggest question marks over which GT will they ride this year. I think everyone had expected Woods to do the Giro but he has hinted he would like to try the Tour. If that's the case then it would be logical to send Martinez to do the Giro, as Uran does the Tour and Van Garderen also hinted that we would like to ride in France as well so they need someone to do well in Italy.

Modolo had a rather disappointing season last year and he needs to step up otherwise the team might be looking for a new main sprinter. If I were Vaughters, I would talk to people who might not be satisfied with their current situation, like Sam Bennett, as early as now.
Anderis

18 Feb 2019 17:01

I wanna bet that the intended TdF roster is: Uran, Martinez, Van Garderen, Kangert, Clarke, Craddock, Phinney and Vanmarcke. That would be a good squad to support Uran in all terrain including TTT. We'll see in July if I was right about these riders being included. Hopefully all of them are healthy and in decent form.

Otherwise, a very good start of the year for the team. They put a rider on the podium in 3 out of 4 stage races they participated in in February (and in the 4th race they had a rider in the top 5), have decent number of 4 wins so far and they are well in the top10 of PCS and CQ team rankings for 2019. Hopefully, those are signs of improved performance thanks to having the sponsorship stability for the first time in many years rather than anomaly that will vanish later in the season. Vaughters had excellent results for money with his team before 2015 so I see no reason why those times can't come back.
Anderis

18 Feb 2019 17:33

I'm curious about Bettiol's season.
He's a very versatile rider and, as you say, EF is the right environment for him. He might finally win his first pro race.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

18 Feb 2019 17:39

Yeah, I too wonder what plans they have for him. Will he ride cobbles like in 2017? EF have plenty of riders for cobbles so he may be redirected elsewhere. He is such a versatile rider that he can be sent to pretty much any race in the calendar and contribute well. Will be interesting to see what his focus is in 2019.
Anderis

19 Feb 2019 07:56

I'd send him to most one day races and see what he can do. He can be used as a helper in major cobble classics and perhaps have a free role in some semi-classic. As for hilly one day races, I think he's good enough to be the captain. We'll see.
User avatar SafeBet
Veteran

19 Feb 2019 18:41

Does anyone know what's going on with Kangert and Caicedo? They haven't raced yet this season and they're not on a startlist of any upcoming race.
Anderis

Re:

21 Feb 2019 19:19

Anderis wrote:Does anyone know what's going on with Kangert and Caicedo? They haven't raced yet this season and they're not on a startlist of any upcoming race.

Kangert starts tomorrow in the Tour du Haut Var
Tim Booth

21 Feb 2019 20:24

He wasn't on the provisional startlist but good to see everything is OK with him and that he is going to race now.

I can't stop wondering if the team wouldn't be better with sending him to UAE to aid in the TTT, though.
Anderis

25 Feb 2019 18:08

I find selections for races a bit strange.

Modolo, McLay, Whelan, Van den Berg and Sean Bennett are all doing UAE Tour which means they'll be unavailable for the opening classics weekend. This leads to Howes being on a provisional startlist for K-B-K and that would be his first ever cobbled classic at the age of 31 if I'm not mistaken. He has no business in being there for a team with such a depth for cobbled races, he is not a goud rouleur and I count as many as 14 riders in the team who could want to have their taste of cobbled classics. That spot should either go to Modolo who could be their best bet for a good result considering the fact this race often ends up in a reduced sprint or for one of the young guys to get their first taste of racing cobbles with pro riders (all of Whelan, Van den Berg and Bennett had some results in u-23 cobbled races and K-B-K is a great race to start getting experience in this type of racing).

I know K-B-K is not a big deal all season considered but I feel like the starting calendars for riders could have been more optimised? Even with all of these guys doing UAE Tour, there are riders like Bettiol, Phinney or even Logan Owen who should ride this instead of Howes. I would hope the final selection is different.
Anderis

25 Feb 2019 18:20

So Higuita's transfer moved forward to May. So it won't happened in July like it was planned.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/higuitas-mid-season-transfer-to-ef-education-first-brought-forward-to-may/

They say they won't send him to WT races but can't help to think otherwise.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

25 Feb 2019 18:37

Looks like you're right...

Colombian aiming for Tour of California as impressive start to 2019 fast-tracks WorldTour move
Aka The Ginger One.
Holy, ****! I'm a veteran!
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing