Register

Cannondale-Drapac

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Jan 2017 12:48

Anderis wrote:
yaco wrote:Reckon Talansky should forget his ambitions for the TDF and go for the Giro and the Vuelta.

Not going to happen. California and TdF will be Talansky's main targets for 2017.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andrew-talansky-haters-gonna-hate/

Well, with the field that is going to line up at the start he could very well aim for a Top-5. I only see Froome, Quintana, Bardet, Porte and Contador as stronger riders than Andy.
Roku

10 Jan 2017 12:56

Roku wrote:
Anderis wrote:
yaco wrote:Reckon Talansky should forget his ambitions for the TDF and go for the Giro and the Vuelta.

Not going to happen. California and TdF will be Talansky's main targets for 2017.

Well, with the field that is going to line up at the start he could very well aim for a Top-5. I only see Froome, Quintana, Bardet, Porte and Contador as stronger riders than Andy.

Chaves should also finish ahead of him on such a gt route, but it's his first Tour, so who knows.
Other than that I have to agree, even if the route isn't perfect for someone like him ( ok,the final 2 mountain stages should suit him well, but more km of ITT and less steep climbs in the first half of the gt would be better for him).
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

10 Jan 2017 15:00

Anderis wrote:What the hell just happened. :eek: Cannondale is one of the first teams to announce their roster for a WT race!

Cannondale-Drapac for the 2017 Tour Down Under:
Paddy Bevin
Brendan Canty
Will Clarke
Alex Howes
Tom-Jelte Slagter
Tom Van Asbroeck
Michael Woods

I wonder who are they going to ride for. Both Woods and Slagter enjoyed a strong form in this race in the past, but maybe someone like Canty will surprise? Will Van Asbroeck try to sprint?

Only 3 teams have yet to announce their roster for the TDU - At least they are not last.
yaco

10 Jan 2017 15:04

Roku wrote:
Anderis wrote:

The route is definitely suitable for Talansky - He's a good TT'er but he will still lose 2 to 3 minutes on Froome in the TT's and unlikely to make up time in the mountains - A top 5 is a definite possibility - In saying that the Giro route suits him better with longer TT's and most of the climbs are longer which suits his diesel style of climbing - Anyway Cannondale probably wants to give riders like Formolo a chance for GC.
yaco

10 Jan 2017 16:25

yaco wrote:Only 3 teams have yet to announce their roster for the TDU - At least they are not last.

When I was looking at the procyclingstats startlist last time, less than half of the teams had "confirmed" rosters. But that may be changing quickly or maybe they didn't have the latest data.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

10 Jan 2017 17:42

Anderis wrote:What the hell just happened. :eek: Cannondale is one of the first teams to announce their roster for a WT race!

Paddy Bevin
Brendan Canty
Will Clarke
Alex Howes
Tom-Jelte Slagter
Tom Van Asbroeck
Michael Woods

I wonder who are they going to ride for. Both Woods and Slagter enjoyed a strong form in this race in the past, but maybe someone like Canty will surprise? Will Van Asbroeck try to sprint?

Cannondale comes with a very, very strong squad. I personally think they will ride for Woods, I have a feeling he will show up in monster form again this year.

B. Canty can defiantly surprise, though. He was in a class of his own, on the climbs at the Australian Championships and has proven that these short interval climbs suit him very, very well. For example, at the Tour of Austria last year, where he also opened up a huge gap on the Sonntagberg and went on to take his first triumph on European soil. I will defiantly be cheering for him!

Canty started racing in October 2013 and already the following year he won on Tawonga Gap (7.6km @ 6% gradient) beating other great climbers such as Matthew Clark, Ben Dyball and another former runner turned cyclist Freddy Ovett for example... Canty has massive potential!
Jakob747

11 Jan 2017 09:51

yaco wrote:
Roku wrote:
Anderis wrote:

The route is definitely suitable for Talansky - He's a good TT'er but he will still lose 2 to 3 minutes on Froome in the TT's and unlikely to make up time in the mountains - A top 5 is a definite possibility - In saying that the Giro route suits him better with longer TT's and most of the climbs are longer which suits his diesel style of climbing - Anyway Cannondale probably wants to give riders like Formolo a chance for GC.

How sure are we that it might happen? :D
barmaher

11 Jan 2017 14:53

Jakob747 wrote:

Paddy Bevin
Brendan Canty
Will Clarke
Alex Howes
Tom-Jelte Slagter
Tom Van Asbroeck
Michael Woods

Cannondale comes with a very, very strong squad. I personally think they will ride for Woods, I have a feeling he will show up in monster form again this year.

B. Canty can defiantly surprise, though. He was in a class of his own, on the climbs at the Australian Championships and has proven that these short interval climbs suit him very, very well. For example, at the Tour of Austria last year, where he also opened up a huge gap on the Sonntagberg and went on to take his first triumph on European soil. I will defiantly be cheering for him!

Canty started racing in October 2013 and already the following year he won on Tawonga Gap (7.6km @ 6% gradient) beating other great climbers such as Matthew Clark, Ben Dyball and another former runner turned cyclist Freddy Ovett for example... Canty has massive potential!

You are right about Canty - Give him another two or three pre-seasons combined with more race craft and he can be a serious rider - Has untapped talent.
yaco

11 Jan 2017 17:34

I'm saying go to BET365 and put a few quid on Woods. He's a dark horse way off the radar. He had a few accidents last year and missed a heap of races so no one really knows him that well. He could practically date someone's sister and they wouldn't know who he is.

If he can have, and continue, a great start like last year and get into good form, well, maybe he can go for GC in one of the Tours.

Would be great to see him blow up the Skybot train just to see something other than the usual we've seen the last while. Woods is plucky and confident enough to just go for it. Maybe he and Contador can avoid crashes and cause some real discomfort to Froom-pid and Co. this year.
Mongolian Torque

Re:

12 Jan 2017 09:35

Mongolian Torque wrote:I'm saying go to BET365 and put a few quid on Woods. He's a dark horse way off the radar. He had a few accidents last year and missed a heap of races so no one really knows him that well. He could practically date someone's sister and they wouldn't know who he is.

If he can have, and continue, a great start like last year and get into good form, well, maybe he can go for GC in one of the Tours.

Would be great to see him blow up the Skybot train just to see something other than the usual we've seen the last while. Woods is plucky and confident enough to just go for it. Maybe he and Contador can avoid crashes and cause some real discomfort to Froom-pid and Co. this year.

Woods does look like a good rider and he did have some setbacks last season but he doesn't look like a 3 week GC rider, maybe he can pinch a stage win in a GT but I doubt he'll be of any concern to Froome and Co.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

12 Jan 2017 11:04

Woods and Canty are my picks for a surprise result. I watched Canty on Sunday at the Nats and he was a beast. I haven't really seen Canty get dropped yet, anywhere.
delbified

13 Jan 2017 05:36

I guess their hottest card still might be Joseph LLoyd Dombrowski for the Giro d' Italia. Whether that's for a surprisingly gc move or for the blue jersey is to be seen. But he looked good enough again there last year that I still expect some major breakthrough for him in Italy. After all the Italian Alps are pretty similar to the Rocky Mountains cols he uses to train in. The Tour of Italy's gonna be his main season target. So he's really gonna peak for that race before calm down a bit and concentrate on the Tour of Utah and the North American calendar afterwards.
User avatar staubsauger

13 Jan 2017 20:21

Yes, Dombrowski going for the blue jersey would be cool.
They could have a great Giro squad, Dombrowski, Formolo, Rolland and maybe even Hugh Carthy, that would actually be a great team for the mountains and you still have Davide Villella for the harder hilly stages.
User avatar Mayomaniac

16 Jan 2017 11:12

Canty will miss TdU. Shame. I was curious to see what he is capable of on his home ground. :(
Anderis

16 Jan 2017 13:10

Anderis wrote:Canty will miss TdU. Shame. I was curious to see what he is capable of on his home ground. :(

He would of done well, Willunga is his type of hunting ground and he was in cracking form.
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells

27 Feb 2017 20:14

So are Cannondale going to Paris-Nice with 8 leaders? :lol: Seems like an interesting tactic either way.
"This is the Tour that will determine whether I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

27 Feb 2017 20:46

Speaking of Canty what is he up to, schedule-wise?
User avatar swuzzlebubble

Re:

27 Feb 2017 21:10

swuzzlebubble wrote:Speaking of Canty what is he up to, schedule-wise?

I know that he's supposed to ride the Giro, but I don't know anything about the rest of his schedule.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re:

28 Feb 2017 02:42

Valv.Piti wrote:So are Cannondale going to Paris-Nice with 8 leaders? :lol: Seems like an interesting tactic either way.

Yes, very odd team:

Dombrowski
Woods
Formolo
Craddock
Rolland
Slagter
Carthy
Talansky
Villella
Wippert

They should sub out Wippert for Uran for some real fun!

What's going on with Phinney? I was rather surprised to not see him in Opening Weekend.
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

28 Feb 2017 11:37

jaylew wrote:What's going on with Phinney? I was rather surprised to not see him in Opening Weekend.

https://twitter.com/Ride_Argyle/status/835161962707308545
Anderis

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing