Register

Cannondale-Drapac

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

07 Sep 2017 20:08

Wonderful news! :)
User avatar Moviefan1203

Re: Re:

07 Sep 2017 20:11

Zinoviev Letter wrote:And presumably the team won't offer every rider on this year's books a new contract.

6 riders already confirmed to be leaving and not many to choose from the market (I guess the sponsorship trouble might have caused to break some promising negotiations and it might be too late to bring them back)- I wouldn't be surprised if Vaughters offered a contract extension to all of the current riders that didn't sign with other teams or retire. Apart from Craddock, nobody was completely out of depth this season and Craddock himself is young and talented enough to not write him off after one year like that.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

08 Sep 2017 03:04

Congrats to JV for getting something done !
nedhill

08 Sep 2017 05:38

Irondan wrote:
yaco wrote:I think if I was a rider for Cannondale and I had a good offer on the table now, then i would leave - The team is still on shaky ground.

With JV at the helm, it will always be a sinking ship. He's been on the brink of folding almost every year except for maybe last year. Slipstream sports has had to merge with what, three other teams in the past 8 years?

I would leave too if I had a good spot somewhere else.

...and each time it's been the team they merged with that disappeared. Probably better to be one of the Slipstream riders who got to stay with the same team, rather than any of the Cervelo Test Team or Cannondale (that was Liquigas) riders who got let go. Or indeed the IAM, Tinkoff, HTC etc etc riders whose teams just stopped existing.
Leinster

08 Sep 2017 05:47

good thing that crowdfunding campaign had a "flexible" goal so that JV can still take the fans' money and run even though presumably it's no longer needed. The whole thing reeks of a publicity stunt/money grab, how could JV have responsibly assume $7m was incoming when it's not confirmed?
proffate

Re:

08 Sep 2017 06:21

proffate wrote:good thing that crowdfunding campaign had a "flexible" goal so that JV can still take the fans' money and run even though presumably it's no longer needed. The whole thing reeks of a publicity stunt/money grab, how could JV have responsibly assume $7m was incoming when it's not confirmed?

The average donation to JV's crowdfunding was $122. That's $95 more than the average donation to Bernie Sanders' campaign.

You'd hope the donors at least get sent a piece of merch for their troubles.
Leinster

08 Sep 2017 08:10

Anderis wrote:6 riders already confirmed to be leaving

I haven't even read about one rider leaving. There were riders saying they would be looking for a new contract elsewhere immediately. Who confirmed his leaving Cannondale-Drapac?
janraaskalt

08 Sep 2017 08:38

I meant riders 2017 riders confirmed to be leaving: Formolo, Villella, Koren, Slagter, Bettiol and Talansky.
Anderis

08 Sep 2017 16:55

The new naming partner will be announced tomorrow.

Van Baarle is set to leave, apparently. I'm sad I won't be able to see him, Vanmarcke and Langeveld forming a trio that would give other teams a hard run for their money in cobbled classics.

With Uran and Vanmarcke apparently staying, the team will have a proper leadership for next year, but seconday leaders and support might be lacking. I wonder which riders will Vaughters bring to the team to round up the 2018 roster and I hope he will have funds to at least build a good team for 2019 with a proper transfer period next year.
Anderis

Re:

08 Sep 2017 18:06

Anderis wrote:I hope he will have funds to at least build a good team for 2019 with a proper transfer period next year.

Let's first wait to hear whether the team is saved for 1 year Belkin style or that the new sponsor has committed to multiple years.
janraaskalt

08 Sep 2017 18:13

My assumption is that it's a one year reprieve, giving the team 12 months to find something longer term.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

08 Sep 2017 20:13

janraaskalt wrote:
Anderis wrote:I hope he will have funds to at least build a good team for 2019 with a proper transfer period next year.

Let's first wait to hear whether the team is saved for 1 year Belkin style or that the new sponsor has committed to multiple years.

Am I supposed to wait before I can start to hope? :D
Anderis

08 Sep 2017 20:22

Anderis wrote:Am I supposed to wait before I can start to hope? :D

Fair point :lol:
janraaskalt

09 Sep 2017 16:12

So the new sponsor is a Swiss based company called EF Education First, and the new team name is going to be an eight word monstrosity "Team EF Education First - Drapac powered by Cannondale". The deal seems to be long term and is to involve the sponsor taking majority ownership of Slipstream itself, however firm information is only available about next year's budget, which will be their usual low one.

Vaughters says he has a load of rider deals to announce.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

09 Sep 2017 17:04

Very fine performance by Woods overall.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2017 17:07

Zinoviev Letter wrote:Vaughters says he has a load of rider deals to announce.

Well, he has to. As for now, Uran and Vanmarcke are the only ones to be certainly staying, as some of the riders who were supposed to have a 2018 contract with Slipstream reportedly decided to sign elsewhere during the period of uncertainty. And even without that, the number of riders supposed to have a contract was not that high.

It's a pity that they will have to fight yet another year with this kind of budget, but considering what has happened in the last 2 weeks, I can only be happy that the team can continue. It would be a big hit to my cycling interest if they were forced to quit.
Anderis

Re:

09 Sep 2017 17:10

Dazed and Confused wrote:Very fine performance by Woods overall.

I think Cannondale had a good Vuelta, considernig the roster they were forced to send there with the absention of Formolo and Talansky. They didn't win a stage, but 7th overall, KOM jersey and some decents sprints from Van Asbroeck is no less than I would've expected when their Vuelta roster was revealed. That is basically their C-squad.
Anderis

09 Sep 2017 17:31

Anderis wrote:

Well, he has to. As for now, Uran and Vanmarcke are the only ones to be certainly staying, as some of the riders who were supposed to have a 2018 contract with Slipstream reportedly decided to sign elsewhere during the period of uncertainty. And even without that, the number of riders supposed to have a contract was not that high..

He presumably can't have much to announce beyond the status of the few riders who were supposed to have contracts and maybe some renewals of riders whose contracts were due to expire but who reached some kind of provisional deal when the team's survival was dubious. He can hardly have been out negotiating with prospective new signings. There will be quite a scramble to fill the roster.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

09 Sep 2017 17:40

Zinoviev Letter wrote:
Anderis wrote:

Well, he has to. As for now, Uran and Vanmarcke are the only ones to be certainly staying, as some of the riders who were supposed to have a 2018 contract with Slipstream reportedly decided to sign elsewhere during the period of uncertainty. And even without that, the number of riders supposed to have a contract was not that high..

He presumably can't have much to announce beyond the status of the few riders who were supposed to have contracts and maybe some renewals of riders whose contracts were due to expire but who reached some kind of provisional deal when the team's survival was dubious. He can hardly have been out negotiating with prospective new signings. There will be quite a scramble to fill the roster.

Congratulations 2018 Giro winner, Evan Huffman.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

09 Sep 2017 17:41

Good news!
dusty red roads

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing