Register

Cannondale-Drapac

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

09 Sep 2017 17:59

I guess Langeveld is staying based on his tweet.

https://twitter.com/sebaslangeveld/status/906566267104100352

About Huffman: doesn't he already have a long-term contract with his current team?
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

Re: Re:

09 Sep 2017 18:04

Zinoviev Letter wrote:He presumably can't have much to announce beyond the status of the few riders who were supposed to have contracts and maybe some renewals of riders whose contracts were due to expire but who reached some kind of provisional deal when the team's survival was dubious. He can hardly have been out negotiating with prospective new signings. There will be quite a scramble to fill the roster.

There are always young guys to fill the roster, allegedly including Powless. Plus there's Drapac's development team, for example Cyrus Monk and Brad Evans. With Uran, Vanmarcke and Van Baarle they already got some top guys, hopefully Woods stays. Too bad Bettiol left.
janraaskalt

Re:

09 Sep 2017 18:22

Anderis wrote:I guess Langeveld is staying based on his tweet.

https://twitter.com/sebaslangeveld/status/906566267104100352

About Huffman: doesn't he already have a long-term contract with his current team?

I have some vague memory that pro offers supercede Conti contracts. Am I imagining this?

At least Langeveld adds 50% to the total number of confirmed riders.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

09 Sep 2017 18:27

janraaskalt wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:He presumably can't have much to announce beyond the status of the few riders who were supposed to have contracts and maybe some renewals of riders whose contracts were due to expire but who reached some kind of provisional deal when the team's survival was dubious. He can hardly have been out negotiating with prospective new signings. There will be quite a scramble to fill the roster.

There are always young guys to fill the roster, allegedly including Powless. Plus there's Drapac's development team, for example Cyrus Monk and Brad Evans. With Uran, Vanmarcke and Van Baarle they already got some top guys, hopefully Woods stays. Too bad Bettiol left.

Well yes, it won't be a scramble to find warm bodies. It will be a scramble to replace losses with comparable quality riders. Powless would be a good addition however.

(Cyrus Monk should get a contract just because of his name.)
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

09 Sep 2017 18:28

Zinoviev Letter wrote:I have some vague memory that pro offers supercede Conti contracts.

I believe so, if it isn't a real pro contract. On continental level there are some riders with a pro contract. Some contracts might have clauses that if a WT team offers a contract they can go. However, Rally will be PCT in 2018, which means that Huffman must have a pro contract.
janraaskalt

09 Sep 2017 19:26

Why do American teams have this "p/b" nonsense in their name?
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

Re:

09 Sep 2017 19:29

TMP402 wrote:Why do American teams have this "p/b" nonsense in their name?

I don't know, but it should stop immediately.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 00:47

The team confirmed it will use the funds raised via the #SaveArgyle crowd funding campaign to help the team with science and technology in 2018.

:eek:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/more-details-emerge-as-ef-education-first-replace-cannondale-for-2018/
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 09:54

Education First is known as the 'McDonalds' of English Language Centres -Will the team be the same ?
yaco

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

10 Sep 2017 10:55

How is Dombrowski still riding GT's?

Yesterday on Angliru he could only beat Kreder, Blythe and Stalnov! He was out of top100 (!) in Sierra Nevada, Calar Alto. What use does he have for the team really? He was bad at the Giro as well but still got a 17th place on Ortisei.

I really don't understand what's happening with him, he shows no signs of improvement or even signs of talent worth of being in the WT.

I wish he could be back to his full potential.
User avatar trevim

10 Sep 2017 10:59

I was wondering the same after I saw the full result. Seems to be fine in lesser races and sometimes shows his climbing capabilties. But in GT's he's nowhere.

Are they riding too hard on the flats? Is his recuperation so bad? I really don't know
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 11:12

Last year he had a decent Giro, maybe he's just too fragile and inconsistent. Maybe he should take a step back to pro continental level. Less pressure.
User avatar afpm90

10 Sep 2017 11:39

He had a different build up towards the Tour of Italy this year and spent much time over the winter with weight lifting rather than riding his bike. Apparently that training idea of Vaughters went wrong completely. Dombrowski indeed had a decent 2016 Giro d'Italia performance and won the Tour of Utah in 2015. From last year's Tour of Switzerland on something certainly went wrong with his training and preparation. That's what his shape in Switzerland, Utah, Italy and Spain indicates. Nearly all of his peaks went completely wrong. Apart from one day at this year's TdS!
User avatar staubsauger

10 Sep 2017 12:01

trevim wrote:How is Dombrowski still riding GT's?

Yesterday on Angliru he could only beat Kreder, Blythe and Stalnov! He was out of top100 (!) in Sierra Nevada, Calar Alto. What use does he have for the team really? He was bad at the Giro as well but still got a 17th place on Ortisei.

I really don't understand what's happening with him, he shows no signs of improvement or even signs of talent worth of being in the WT.

I wish he could be back to his full potential.

Yeah, he had a good Giro in 2016 and it looked like he'd have a future as a climbing superdomestique, this year he was only good on the Tiefenbachferner.
Still, two years ago he won the Tour of Utah and finished 1:17 ahead of Woods on the Snowbird MTF.
He's too limited to the a gc rider in a bigger stage race, but he could be a great climbing superdomestique, an American version of Szmyd.
User avatar Mayomaniac

11 Sep 2017 09:14

Great to read that Woods has extended for 2 more years. Cannondale really needed him to stay after losing Formolo and Slagter. I'm only surprised that it hasn't been announced through their social media. I wouldn't be aware of it if I didn't read Transfers and Rumours thread on this board even though I'm checking their twitter regularly.

I like how Vanmarcke has become more of an all-rounder this year and can achieve some results outside of cobbles even on a WT level.

Now with Powless joining Lotto-Jumbo, I have no idea which riders will Vaughters sign for 2018,
Anderis

11 Sep 2017 15:44

Riders confirmed to be leaving Cannondale: Formolo, Villella, Koren, Slagter, Bettiol, Talansky, Mullen
Riders rumoured to be leaving Cannondale: Van Baarle, Rolland, Wippert
Riders confirmed to be joining Cannondale: none
Riders rumoured to be joining Cannondale (after Powless, Lawless and August Jensen have found other teams): none

I can't wait for some news. I guess the whole situation might see some riders finding themselves in once-in-a-careertime chance to join a WT team.
Anderis

11 Sep 2017 18:43

Maybe Adrien Costa returns to cycing at Cannondale?
janraaskalt

11 Sep 2017 18:53

More or less confirmed staying at Cannondale are Van Baarle and Rolland, according to Velonews.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/09/news/cannondale-drapac-retains-rolland-uran-top-riders_447975
janraaskalt

11 Sep 2017 19:09

Ahh, would be great if Van Baarle stayed! I said many times that it would be great to see what the trio of Vanmarcke-Van Baarle-Langeveld can do in cobbled classics. Hopefully all staying healthy for the key part of the year this time. Pity that they won't be joined by Bettiol but you can't have everything.

Rolland will also be very needed if the team is serious about supporting Uran for TdF's GC and have some options for other GTs.

Also encouraging bit about “But maybe we’ll be closer to the middle.” in terms of budget.
Anderis

Re:

11 Sep 2017 19:37

TMP402 wrote:Why do American teams have this "p/b" nonsense in their name?

Short for Paid By. You usually see it in race names not team names. I would imagine its more common in the US because sponsorships have a more rapid rate of turnover.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing