Register

Cannondale-Drapac

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

11 Sep 2017 19:40

So that means there are 11 riders that we know of with contracts for next year: Canty, Carthy, Dombrowski. Langeveld, Phinney, Rolland, Uran, Van Asbroeck, Van Baarle, Woods.

Am I forgetting anyone? That's a high quality group, but a lot of renewals and new arrivals still needed.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 19:46

Well, I don't think we can already assume that all of these 11 riders are staying. The Velonews report mentions only 5 of them. The rest might well have signed with others during the last 2 weeks.

If I'm not mistaken, 25 is minimum number for a WT team so at the very least 5 new riders must sign with Slipstream. Probably more, if someone else is not re-signed or if the team will have more than 25, which is what it always did in the past.
Wij steunen hem, tenzij hij niet genoeg fietst.
Anderis

Re: Re:

11 Sep 2017 19:57

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:
TMP402 wrote:Why do American teams have this "p/b" nonsense in their name?

Short for Paid By. You usually see it in race names not team names. I would imagine its more common in the US because sponsorships have a more rapid rate of turnover.

Pretty sure, in true American style, it's powered by. Nonsense.
King Of The Wolds

11 Sep 2017 19:57

I'm curious about the influence of Education First. It's a Swiss based company, having Swedish roots, but with an international exposure. I don't expect geographically based transfers, other than "a lot of different countries and cultures". Maybe an Asian and African guy. Scandinavian?

The "whole person" approach of Drapac is another aspect which EF liked. Hence, I expect at least 2 of the Drapac development team stepping up.
janraaskalt

Re:

11 Sep 2017 20:20

Anderis wrote:Well, I don't think we can already assume that all of these 11 riders are staying. The Velonews report mentions only 5 of them. The rest might well have signed with others during the last 2 weeks.

If I'm not mistaken, 25 is minimum number for a WT team so at the very least 5 new riders must sign with Slipstream. Probably more, if someone else is not re-signed or if the team will have more than 25, which is what it always did in the past.

David Millar, Ted King and Caleb Fairly can't wait to come out of retirement.
User avatar TMP402
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 20:44

King Of The Wolds wrote:
myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:
TMP402 wrote:Why do American teams have this "p/b" nonsense in their name?

Short for Paid By. You usually see it in race names not team names. I would imagine its more common in the US because sponsorships have a more rapid rate of turnover.

Pretty sure, in true American style, it's powered by. Nonsense.

It's not "paid by" or "powerered by"

It's "presented by"
User avatar jaylew
Veteran

Re:

12 Sep 2017 01:05

Anderis wrote:Well, I don't think we can already assume that all of these 11 riders are staying. The Velonews report mentions only 5 of them. The rest might well have signed with others during the last 2 weeks.

I am not sure about that. Wasn't Cannondale enforcing the contracts. Do the riders that leave have to pay something for not fulfilling the contract?

I am just asking because I have no idea!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

12 Sep 2017 06:59

Escarabajo wrote:I am not sure about that. Wasn't Cannondale enforcing the contracts. Do the riders that leave have to pay something for not fulfilling the contract?

I am just asking because I have no idea!

There was a period of freedom to leave between the "you're all free to sign elsewhere" and the "we're enforcing all contracts". It seems that noone did.

Actually Cannondale was supposed to pay for not fulfilling their part of the contract. If someone would've signed for a lower salary elsewhere, Cannondale should've payed the difference.
janraaskalt

12 Sep 2017 07:04

Was there not a rule a couple of years ago that the team name cannot have more than 2 sponsors in it? Is this p/b thing a way to circumvent that?

Surely everyone will end up calling them simply EF anyway.

Concentric circles and argyle: could be awful.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

12 Sep 2017 07:39

Armchair cyclist wrote:Was there not a rule a couple of years ago that the team name cannot have more than 2 sponsors in it? Is this p/b thing a way to circumvent that?

Yes and probably. However, the 2 sponsor rule only applies to the official name for the UCI. You can call your team whatever you like in all other occasions.
janraaskalt

12 Sep 2017 16:49

User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

18 Sep 2017 18:08

I realise that they have had to start scrambling around for riders very late, but I'd feel a bit more reassured about their sporting prospects if they announced a few arrivals.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re:

19 Sep 2017 01:19

Armchair cyclist wrote:Surely everyone will end up calling them simply EF anyway.
EF-Drapac at least
User avatar swuzzlebubble

Re:

19 Sep 2017 07:28

Anderis wrote:If I'm not mistaken, 25 is minimum number for a WT team so at the very least 5 new riders must sign with Slipstream. Probably more, if someone else is not re-signed or if the team will have more than 25, which is what it always did in the past.

It used to be 25 (until at least 2008), but it's been 23 for several years now (since at least 2010).

janraaskalt wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:Was there not a rule a couple of years ago that the team name cannot have more than 2 sponsors in it? Is this p/b thing a way to circumvent that?

Yes and probably. However, the 2 sponsor rule only applies to the official name for the UCI. You can call your team whatever you like in all other occasions.

Used to be "max two sponsor names in team name", but that rule has been changed in the 2015-2016 off-season. It now says:
"The name of the UCI WorldTeam must be either that of the company or brand name of one or several principal partners, or the name of its paying agent."
So, as long as the company/brand is a 'principal partner', you can (theoretically) put as many of them in as you like.
Fus087

19 Sep 2017 07:45

Oh how I wished this name would come back: Androni Giocattoli - Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re:

19 Sep 2017 17:54

Zinoviev Letter wrote:I realise that they have had to start scrambling around for riders very late, but I'd feel a bit more reassured about their sporting prospects if they announced a few arrivals.

It's starting to become disturbing that they are yet to announce their 1st signing after losing so many important riders.

And more and more riders I was considering as possible signings are getting confirmed at other teams. I have no idea who will be riding for this team in 2018 and I fear the depth of the roster might be very weak compared to 2017,
Anderis

20 Sep 2017 05:32

Anderis wrote:
Zinoviev Letter wrote:I realise that they have had to start scrambling around for riders very late, but I'd feel a bit more reassured about their sporting prospects if they announced a few arrivals.

It's starting to become disturbing that they are yet to announce their 1st signing after losing so many important riders.

And more and more riders I was considering as possible signings are getting confirmed at other teams. I have no idea who will be riding for this team in 2018 and I fear the depth of the roster might be very weak compared to 2017,

I wouldn't be surprised to see them defer being aggressive with signings until next year.
nedhill

20 Sep 2017 09:33

Fredrik Ludvigsson announced he has interesting news? Perhaps a transfer to EF, aren't they a swedish company?
Every cyclists wants to look first-string, bar Bauke Mollema. He doesn't give a **** <-> Thijs Zonneveld
User avatar GenericBoonenFan

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

20 Sep 2017 09:56

Yes, they are, but that doesn't have to have much bearing on the transfer preference. Isn't the deal with EF North America?

Simillarly Williams had a deal with Procter & Gamble in F1 when they hired Bruno Senna, but the money seemed to come completely from the Brazilian part of the company, even though the whole Procter & Gamble weren't Brazilian by origin.
Anderis

Re: Cannondale-Drapac

20 Sep 2017 15:15

Anderis wrote:Yes, they are, but that doesn't have to have much bearing on the transfer preference. Isn't the deal with EF North America?

Simillarly Williams had a deal with Procter & Gamble in F1 when they hired Bruno Senna, but the money seemed to come completely from the Brazilian part of the company, even though the whole Procter & Gamble weren't Brazilian by origin.

On twitter EF North America said that the sponsorship is by the worldwide company, just managed through their US operation.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing