Register

EF-Cannondale-Drapac

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Cannondale Pro Cycling

20 Apr 2016 15:19

Woods 12th in La Fleche. That's really good performance for Ardennes debut. Who knows if he didn't miss top10 due to the fact the team didn't ride for him and didn't work to position him well for the final climb. IIRC, he has only one year deal for 2016. I wonder if he decides to stay with Cannondale or go elsewhere. With this kind of results, it will be his decision about this, I'm sure.

Slagter really disappointing this spring. I wonder why his 2014 level disappeared. He said last year that he had some health problems disrupting his 2015 season preparations, that's why he was not so good early last year. But even then he managed 9th in la Fleche and then he came good in 2nd half of the season (2 stage wins in Alberta, 2 top10 in Canadian classics and decent Eneco). I thought he could have a decent spring this year again, but that's not the case. It seems like he is getting worse year by year.

I also expected more from Craddock. He did well on those short and steep climbs in Pais Vasco.

Roll on Romandie and Giro. This team seriously needs some results. One of just 5 WT teams without a WT win this season, if I'm not mistaken.
Anderis

20 Apr 2016 15:42

Slagter is indeed falling apart. Really poor after 2014 where he was 5th in FW and 6th in LBL
User avatar Dekker_Tifosi
Veteran

20 Apr 2016 16:20

He finished 6th in LBL despite doing some pulls for Dan. And he won 2 stages of Paris-Nice (could have won the overall if not mechanical on decisive stage). Slagter in 2014 form would really help to make Cannondale's season not looking that bad.
Anderis

21 Apr 2016 08:02

Their season now basically depends on Uran/Rolland/Talansky coming good in the GTs, or at least doing well in a few week-long stage races. I'm not enormously hopeful as the GC field is a crowded one these days, although Uran could do well in the Giro again.
User avatar vedrafjord

21 Apr 2016 09:01

Anderis wrote:Who knows if he didn't miss top10 due to the fact the team didn't ride for him and didn't work to position him well for the final climb.

I thought it was the matter of the team expecting Slagter to do better, but apparently Woods took the blame for his positioning himself.

vedrafjord wrote:Their season now basically depends on Uran/Rolland/Talansky coming good in the GTs, or at least doing well in a few week-long stage races.

The problem is that half of the WT week-long stage races in the calendar took place already this year and the best Cannondale managed was 9th overall in Pais Vasco with Craddock. There are just 4 one-week WT races for climbers (as Eneco is not for climbers) left in the calendar. And the next one starts next week, so Cannondale better find improvement soon.

Still, it's nowhere near as disastrous as last year. They sit 12th in UCI WT Team ranking with 114 points. Last year at this point of the year they were dead last with just 19 points if I'm not mistaken. But in 2014 they were over 200 points despite missing some opportunities due to bad luck (Slagter in PN overall).
Last edited by Anderis on 21 Apr 2016 09:05, edited 2 times in total.
Anderis

Re:

21 Apr 2016 09:04

vedrafjord wrote:Their season now basically depends on Uran/Rolland/Talansky coming good in the GTs, or at least doing well in a few week-long stage races. I'm not enormously hopeful as the GC field is a crowded one these days, although Uran could do well in the Giro again.

That lad wrote future checks his legs can't cash.
User avatar lenric

21 Apr 2016 10:35

Anderis wrote:The problem is that half of the WT week-long stage races in the calendar took place already this year and the best Cannondale managed was 9th overall in Pais Vasco with Craddock. There are just 4 one-week WT races for climbers (as Eneco is not for climbers) left in the calendar. And the next one starts next week, so Cannondale better find improvement soon.

Indeed - this time last year Uran already had a podium in Tirreno-Adriatico and a 5th in Catalunya while this year he was only 10th in Catalunya. Pierre Rolland just about snuck into the TdF top 10 last year by getting into breakaways, but seems to be slowly going backwards year-on-year. Talansky has also been going backwards since his Dauphiné win.
User avatar vedrafjord

21 Apr 2016 16:40

Anderis wrote:I thought it was the matter of the team expecting Slagter to do better, but apparently Woods took the blame for his positioning himself.

No problem. He's still got lots of time to learn.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

21 Apr 2016 18:22

Cannondale's provisional Giro Roster:
41 Rigoberto Uran (Col)
42 Andre Fernando S.M. Cardoso (Por)
43 Simon Clarke (Aus)
44 Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski (USA)
45 Davide Formolo (Ita)
46 Moreno Moser (Ita)
47 Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu)
48 Davide Villella (Ita)
49 Michael Woods (Can)

As for Cannondale's capabilities, this is a very strong and balanced team that Uran got for support. Possibly better than the TdF roster will be. Navardauskas, Clarke and Moser are very good combination of rolling skills and ability to get over some hills. For mountains he has Dombrowski and Formolo, two up-and-coming riders who could possibly be given support for their potential GC ambitons at some of the smaller teams, very reliable helper in Cardoso, Villella who has found some climbing form recently with top10 in Criterium Internacional and unpredictable (mostly in positive way) Woods.

Dombrowski has already stated that he will try to avoid time losses early in the race because you never know what's going to happen in GC.

The presence of Navardauskas is really interesting as I thought he would be well established rider for TdF roster as possibly the strongest rouleur in the team and their only real hope for good placing on some flattish stages. I also kinda expected Cardoso to be finally given his chance to ride TdF this year, but now it's likely he'll end up riding Giro-Vuelta again. Well, maybe that's the program that match his strengths better.

If they are going to show some flexibility with their goals and give riders other than Uran some freedom, this is also potentially a very good team for stage hunting.

If this team fails at the Giro (no stage wins or solid place(s) in GC), then I will probably have no faith in their TdF team at all.
Anderis

21 Apr 2016 18:31

Anderis wrote:Cannondale's provisional Giro Roster:
41 Rigoberto Uran (Col)
43 Simon Clarke (Aus)
45 Davide Formolo (Ita)
46 Moreno Moser (Ita)
48 Davide Villella (Ita)
49 Michael Woods (Can)

As for Cannondale's capabilities, this is a very strong and balanced team that Uran got for support. Possibly better than the TdF roster will be. Navardauskas, Clarke and Moser are very good combination of rolling skills and ability to get over some hills. For mountains he has Dombrowski and Formolo, two up-and-coming riders who could possibly be given support for their potential GC ambitons at some of the smaller teams, very reliable helper in Cardoso, Villella who has found some climbing form recently with top10 in Criterium Internacional and unpredictable (mostly in positive way) Woods.

Dombrowski has already stated that he will try to avoid time losses early in the race because you never know what's going to happen in GC.

The presence of Navardauskas is really interesting as I thought he would be well established rider for TdF roster as possibly the strongest rouleur in the team. I also kinda expected Cardoso to be finally given his chance to ride TdF this year, but now it's likely he'll end up riding Giro-Vuelta again. Well, maybe that's the program that match his strengths better.

If they are going to show some flexibility with their goals and give riders other than Uran some freedom, this is also potentially a very good team for stage hunting.

If this team fails at the Giro (no stage wins or solid place(s) in GC), then I will probably have no faith in their TdF team at all.

I'm happy with it, Uran finally has a strong team that supports him in a gt, Formolo, Cardoso and Dombrowski are all strong climbers and they have plenty of guys for the hilly stages.
I hope that Dombrowski will be allowes to go for epic mountain raids in the high mountains, but I'm probably one of the biggest Dombrowski fanboys on this forum. :D
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

22 Apr 2016 01:37

They have the best website though. Love the portrait art for each rider on the plates. The artist wisely drew them with a slightly more dignified and serious facial expressions from the photo it's based off of, great stuff.

http://www.slipstreamsports.com/cannondale-garmin-pro-team/
jahn

22 Apr 2016 10:13

Any outside chance in LBL?
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

22 Apr 2016 11:15

I doubt Slagter has miraculously found his form in 3 or 4 days and the rest of the team doesn't look like being capable of making an impact here. Apart from unpredictable Woods, of course, who is the only rider from this roster I can see finishing top10 on Sunday. But I don't hope for much. Too bad Rigo is not riding.
Anderis

22 Apr 2016 11:56

Slagter appeared in good form on De Brabantse Pijl but a few days later apparently that form disappeared.
User avatar afpm90

22 Apr 2016 12:34

Anderis wrote:I doubt Slagter has miraculously found his form in 3 or 4 days and the rest of the team doesn't look like being capable of making an impact here. Apart from unpredictable Woods, of course, who is the only rider from this roster I can see finishing top10 on Sunday. But I don't hope for much. Too bad Rigo is not riding.

He's got to focus on the Giro, where he's got a realistic podium chance.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

22 Apr 2016 12:53

CheckMyPecs wrote:He's got to focus on the Giro, where he's got a realistic podium chance.

I know but we've had riders in the past who were able to combine good LBL with good Giro. Hesjedal in 2012 finished 9th in LBL before going to the Romandie and then winning the Giro, so it's possible.

afpm90 wrote:Slagter appeared in good form on De Brabantse Pijl but a few days later apparently that form disappeared.

He really tried in Brabantse Pijl (and the team worked for him), yet he finished 9th in a weaker field than he has to face in races like Fleche or Liege. It was better than what he has shown at Amstel, but that was still a bit lacking from the top10 level in Ardennes IMO. When he was in good form in 2014, he was performing well all-throughout the spring, with 2 stage wins in Paris-Nice, 2nd in GP Miguel Indurain and 13th in Pais Vasco, where he finished 4th on 2 stages.
This year he only won stage on Tour du Haut Var (before being dropped on 2 stage) and finished 9th in Brabantse Pijl. It was an indication he is nowhere near his 2014 form.
Anderis

22 Apr 2016 15:33

Anderis wrote:I know but we've had riders in the past who were able to combine good LBL with good Giro. Hesjedal in 2012 finished 9th in LBL before going to the Romandie and then winning the Giro, so it's possible.

I think we can all agree that Hesjedal winning a Grand Tour was more of a fluke than anything else.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

22 Apr 2016 15:45

Anderis wrote:Cannondale's provisional Giro Roster:
41 Rigoberto Uran (Col)
43 Simon Clarke (Aus)
45 Davide Formolo (Ita)
46 Moreno Moser (Ita)
48 Davide Villella (Ita)
49 Michael Woods (Can)

The presence of Navardauskas is really interesting as I thought he would be well established rider for TdF roster as possibly the strongest rouleur in the team and their only real hope for good placing on some flattish stages. I also kinda expected Cardoso to be finally given his chance to ride TdF this year, but now it's likely he'll end up riding Giro-Vuelta again. Well, maybe that's the program that match his strengths better.

Can definitely win stages with this team - Anyway a stage win in a GT = success.
yaco

22 Apr 2016 15:57

CheckMyPecs wrote:
Anderis wrote:I know but we've had riders in the past who were able to combine good LBL with good Giro. Hesjedal in 2012 finished 9th in LBL before going to the Romandie and then winning the Giro, so it's possible.

I think we can all agree that Hesjedal winning a Grand Tour was more of a fluke than anything else.

Agreed. Typically someone who top-5s the tdf should not expect to beat Thomas DeGendt in anything.
User avatar myrideissteelerthanyours

22 Apr 2016 18:18

myrideissteelerthanyours wrote:Agreed. Typically someone who top-5s the tdf should not expect to beat Thomas DeGendt in anything.

If anything, De Gendt finishing on the podium is yet more proof that it was an anomalous Giro.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing