Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Re: Re:

07 Mar 2017 00:15

Valv.Piti wrote:
Escarabajo wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Movistar for Tirreno-Adriatico:
Quintana, Amador, Bennati, Sütterlin, Castroviejo, Dowsett, Oliveira, Moreno

Very smart selection considering the team time trial, Nairo ain't gonna leave everyone in the dust like he did in Valencia. Then again, he did exactly that at Terminillo in 2015. Anyways, Im expecting a top-3 in the opening TTT with this team which should be enough to win overall.

That is a strong bunch of Time Trialer's.

Very. BMC really should win or else I know nothing about cycling, but Movistar also have a very potent team in that department. Not picking Malori unfortunately tells me he still have ways to go, he will have a difficult season. Also, I've never been a fan of Dani Moreno (too many times he didn't devote himself to Purito) and I have yet to see him do something meaningful for Movistar apart from the stage to Aubisque.

I agree, on paper BMC is the only team that can challenge this Movistar in the TTT. Very very strong team. Honestly I really cannot see how Quintana doesn't win T-A. Who is his biggest rival? Pinot? Dumoulin? Nibali? Mollema? They will all lose time in the TTT and on Terminillo (again on paper). The Fermo stage is hopefully going to be nuts, but if the weather is nice Quintana should stay with the GC contenders. In the ITT Dumoulin is the only one who could take back 45-50s but I expect he'll be down a minute and a half at least before the TT. It's a good thing cycling in real life is very different than cycling on paper so we'll have to wait and see. I still expect some exciting racing.

Where is T-A race thread BTW?
johnymax

12 Mar 2017 19:00

Marc Soler definitely the real deal. Good duo of young, up and coming Avenir winners on the squad. Gorka Izagirre and Castroviejo showing they are ready to lead big WT-races with Ion gone.

Does anybody know why Anacona is racing like an old lady?
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

12 Mar 2017 19:27

Valv.Piti wrote:Marc Soler definitely the real deal. Good duo of young, up and coming Avenir winners on the squad. Gorka Izagirre and Castroviejo showing they are ready to lead big WT-races with Ion gone.

No. Very inconsistent.

Hope there is a reason. Something similar happened when he was with Lampre and he came out to give a great performance at the Vuelta and then nothing. Not sure what the problem could be.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

13 Mar 2017 11:47

Escarabajo wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Marc Soler definitely the real deal. Good duo of young, up and coming Avenir winners on the squad. Gorka Izagirre and Castroviejo showing they are ready to lead big WT-races with Ion gone.

No. Very inconsistent.

Hope there is a reason. Something similar happened when he was with Lampre and he came out to give a great performance at the Vuelta and then nothing. Not sure what the problem could be.

He isn't even inconsistent, he is consistently bad. I don't care that much as long as he is good in Tour de France or whatever GT/GTs he is gonna ride (if any at this point), but I only remember him climbing well on 1 or maybe 2 stages last year.

I am following him on Strava btw and have been for a long time and noticed that his heart rate is very high. I have no clue if Im onto something or not, but his heart rate seems 10 bpm higher consistently than what it should be compared to others. He doesnt seem lazy either
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

13 Mar 2017 20:47

In Vuelta a Andalucía he was like his mind was in any other place very far from there. He didn't want to meet the rest or talk to anybody. In the hotel you could only see him for breakfast and dinner, nothing else. Talking with Lastras he told me Annacona was under pressure, not only in his country but by himself. I think many people thinks he'll be a top rider and he's mentally burnt out.

He's still young so they have time to change this, but the first one that should change his mind is he.
GambadiLegno

Re: Team Movistar-thread

18 Mar 2017 21:16

Better MSR than I expected: Betancur actually finished a race, actually not that far behind, and Bennati did a decent sprint. Alex Dowsett somewhat also managed to stay in the leading group. I had never expected that from Dowsett, obviously at some great form, he recently said he wanted to ride both the Giro and TdF. I think he looks good for Giro now.

They have a top-notch team for Catalunya, but Valverde's form is a bit of a mystery after his sickness. I really hope its not too bad, I don't want to see him lose yet another chance of winning a one week stage race.. Soler and Fernandez can also do really well in the mountains, as can the bigger motors Amador and Castro. If he is at his usual level, I think he is the favourite.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

19 Mar 2017 01:22

I was expecting to see Carapaz on Volta a Catalunya or Vuelta al Pais Vasco, but apparently not. For a climber, in my point of view and since he has a good level of form, it was better to have a first experience with the big boys in a week long stage race than to do the northern classics.

The same for Dayer Quintana.
User avatar Ricco'

Re:

19 Mar 2017 01:26

Ricco' wrote:I was expecting to see Carapaz on Volta a Catalunya or Vuelta al Pais Vasco, but apparently not. For a climber, in my point of view and since he has a good level of form, it was better to have a first experience with the big boys in a week long stage race than to do the northern classics.

Carapaz will race Vuelta Rioja and Tour of Romandie next!
Jakob747

19 Mar 2017 08:26

By not selecting them Movistar means all business. Its a very good team already and Carapaz would be a reliability in the TTT.

Besides, even though he won't get any results, Belgium is a cycling University in itself. Carapaz will get his opportunities later, but you are right its a shame since he seems in good shape. I don't think he will ride any GTs this year, realistically, so he could easily find himself in many finals of the Italian fall classics and win one.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

19 Mar 2017 11:26

Just had a closer look at the teams for Catalunya and I'd say Movistar has by far the strongest lineup for the TTT. Good news for Valverde fans because the combination of available bonus seconds + big time gain in the TTT will make Valverde pretty much unbeatable.
Alberto we love you
on the road
you don't need to say this stuff
we saw you on the road
you blessed us with 9 great shows
let's not argue the toss about the official count
you are much bigger than that
~TourOfSardinia
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

19 Mar 2017 12:32

LaFlorecita wrote:Just had a closer look at the teams for Catalunya and I'd say Movistar has by far the strongest lineup for the TTT. Good news for Valverde fans because the combination of available bonus seconds + big time gain in the TTT will make Valverde pretty much unbeatable.

Dno about by far the strongest, they won't win the TTT like BMC in Tirreno. But they have one of the best teams, but I think it depends on how hilly the course is.

Valverde also possibly can't be 100% after his sickness, but he can probably win it at 90% if they ride a good TTT.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

21 Mar 2017 18:02

Won today without machines like Malori, Dowsett, Sutterlin, Izagirre, Sutherland etc. The depth when it comes to team time trials is pretty damn good, unfortunately the Vuelta is the only GT which will include one.

Rojas getting penalised basically is best case scenario since it will but Valverde in the leader's jersey. All he has to do now is care for the BMC and Sky riders. Contador is too much behind and is usually mediocre in this race and also has a tendency to disappoint in really important MTFs like the one to Lo Port.
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

21 Mar 2017 18:04

LaFlorecita wrote:Just had a closer look at the teams for Catalunya and I'd say Movistar has by far the strongest lineup for the TTT. Good news for Valverde fans because the combination of available bonus seconds + big time gain in the TTT will make Valverde pretty much unbeatable.

Turned out to be true. :D
Velolover2

Re:

21 Mar 2017 18:42

Valv.Piti wrote:Won today without machines like Malori, Dowsett, Sutterlin, Izagirre, Sutherland etc. The depth when it comes to team time trials is pretty damn good, unfortunately the Vuelta is the only GT which will include one.

Rojas getting penalised basically is best case scenario since it will but Valverde in the leader's jersey. All he has to do now is care for the BMC and Sky riders. Contador is too much behind and is usually mediocre in this race and also has a tendency to disappoint in really important MTFs like the one to Lo Port.

I have the impression that you prefer to see your favourite riders win (even if it is a boring race) instead of a great race with many attacks. Why on earth, would someone wanted a TTT in a race like vuelta? Only to benefit your beloved valverde? That stupid mentality is what kills races like tour...
portugal11

21 Mar 2017 18:46

portugal11 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Won today without machines like Malori, Dowsett, Sutterlin, Izagirre, Sutherland etc. The depth when it comes to team time trials is pretty damn good, unfortunately the Vuelta is the only GT which will include one.

I have the impression that you prefer to see your favourite riders win (even if it is a boring race) instead of a great race with many attacks. Why on earth, would someone wanted a TTT in a race like vuelta? Only to benefit your beloved valverde? That stupid mentality is what kills races like tour...

I cannot see how TTT = less attacks but ok
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re: Team Movistar-thread

21 Mar 2017 18:56

"Ha sido una contrarreloj muy exigente, sabíamos que se iba a hacer dura porque la habíamos reconocido hasta en cinco ocasiones en estos últimos días. Era una crono muy técnica y haberla hecho tantas veces ha resultado clave. Teníamos un poco de miedo de que apareciera la lluvia, pero al final ha habido suerte y todos hemos podido librarnos.

Vamos a ir día a día, pero hemos sacado una diferencia bastante importante respecto a rivales muy complicados. Mañana será una jornada muy complicada y me preocupa sobre todo que nos libremos del agua, que espero que sí. Mis sensaciones en los últimos días, pese a no haber competido desde Andalucía, han sido buenas y tengo confianza en poder aguantar, pero está claro que rivales como Contador o Froome nos lo van a poner muy difícil”.

They rode it 5 times during the last few days. I don't think thats normal, really, but considering just how important this was of a stage, it makes sense. These words are from Valverde by the way. Also says he feels good, but obviously hasn't raced since Andalucía. It will be a tough task to defend against Froome and Contador as well.

If there's one regret I have about Valverde is it how few big one week races he has won. He should have won a bunch of them. This is not won yet, but it looks good so far!
Rise, Zomegnanists!
User avatar Valv.Piti

21 Mar 2017 18:59

Valv.Piti wrote:
portugal11 wrote:

I cannot see how TTT = less attacks but ok

C'mon I didn't say that.
That answer proved what I was thinking :surprised:
You clearly loved liege 2015, a boring race but was won by your favourite rider.
portugal11

21 Mar 2017 19:15

portugal11 wrote:

You shouldn't ignore those who became fans because of his riding style.
kingjr

21 Mar 2017 19:41

I will never understand those (pseudo) cycling fans who prefer to see his favourite rider winning a boring race with a uphill sprint in the final instead of a remarkable race with many attacks (even if it is won by a rider who doesn't mean anything to us)
portugal11

Re:

21 Mar 2017 21:57

portugal11 wrote:I will never understand

You should make that your signature :)
kingjr

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing