Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2018 17:16

tobydawq wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
yaco wrote:
Blanco wrote:And there goes Soler's hope for Tour...

Soler never had a hope for the TDF - He will be a support rider.

I think he referred to him being selected at all.

Of course he never was meant to be the 4th leader or something ridiculous like that, but I will still be very surprised not to see him being selected. Yes, bad day today, but he is so versatile that he can be used in the TTT and cobbles as well. Just like Amador, the role of the Izagirre bros and Castroviejo. But these riders are bigger and can therefore protect the flyweights better and are more adapt at cobbles as well.

Did someone not watch Paris-Roubaix this year? :cool:

Yes of course, thats what I mean - that Soler and Amador definitely can handle the cobbles.

Moviestar: You think Soler is skipping the Tour?
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

10 Jun 2018 17:29

Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
yaco wrote:

Of course he never was meant to be the 4th leader or something ridiculous like that, but I will still be very surprised not to see him being selected. Yes, bad day today, but he is so versatile that he can be used in the TTT and cobbles as well. Just like Amador, the role of the Izagirre bros and Castroviejo. But these riders are bigger and can therefore protect the flyweights better and are more adapt at cobbles as well.

Yes of course, thats what I mean - that Soler and Amador definitely can handle the cobbles.

Okay, I was 50/50 on what you meant, flipped a coin and failed.

Probably because I hadn't managed to read the bolded part....
User avatar tobydawq

10 Jun 2018 17:40

Valv.Piti wrote:
tobydawq wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
yaco wrote:

Yes, especially after this performance. On beforehand there were already some doubts of his participance in the Tour. I posted an article not so long ago in this thread.
Moviestar

10 Jun 2018 20:23

I've been of the opinion from the beginning that he's not yet ready for the Tour and should either being doing the Giro/Vuelta or just one of those two. I do think he should be on the Vuelta team along with Roson.
User avatar Koronin

24 Jun 2018 13:44

movistar has a big..very big problem.soler is out of form.
capuldemetal

24 Jun 2018 13:50

Doubt Soler will the ride the TDF - It was an awful suggestion for him to be in that team.
yaco

Re:

24 Jun 2018 14:24

yaco wrote:Doubt Soler will the ride the TDF - It was an awful suggestion for him to be in that team.

and thus he will leave a big gap in the team...
capuldemetal

24 Jun 2018 15:41

He never should have been on the short list of the Tour. He's not ready for it. Hopefully he'll find his form again before the Vuelta, where I still think is where he should be going anyway.
User avatar Koronin

Re:

24 Jun 2018 16:13

Koronin wrote:He never should have been on the short list of the Tour. He's not ready for it. Hopefully he'll find his form again before the Vuelta, where I still think is where he should be going anyway.

Why is it that a rider who has won Paris-Nice should not be ready for the Tour at the age of 24?

I think he is perfectly ready (if it's because of the form he showed today, it's another story, but that doesn't seem to be the reason for your opinion). People at 19 and 20 have occasionally ridden the Tour.
User avatar tobydawq

24 Jun 2018 16:15

capuldemetal wrote:
yaco wrote:Doubt Soler will the ride the TDF - It was an awful suggestion for him to be in that team.

and thus he will leave a big gap in the team...

What gap? He's no Valverde, there's plenty of riders who could fulfill his role.
User avatar Blanco

24 Jun 2018 16:32

tobydawq wrote:
Koronin wrote:He never should have been on the short list of the Tour. He's not ready for it. Hopefully he'll find his form again before the Vuelta, where I still think is where he should be going anyway.

Why is it that a rider who has won Paris-Nice should not be ready for the Tour at the age of 24?

I think he is perfectly ready (if it's because of the form he showed today, it's another story, but that doesn't seem to be the reason for your opinion). People at 19 and 20 have occasionally ridden the Tour.

Cannot see why he shouldn't be going either - he won't get a protected role in La Vuelta anyways since Movistar will send the amigos to Spain. He isn't one of those skinny climbers either, he can fight for himself, he has ridden a GT previously etc. If he had form, he should definitely be on the team, but it seems he isn't in top shape.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

24 Jun 2018 16:32

tobydawq wrote:

He hasn't had any form this month at all. I don't think he's learned how to recover from his spring peak to be at a good level for July yet. Right now I think pushing to send him to the Tour isn't right. He needs to learn how to go from a spring peak to being in good form again for July and I don't think he's there yet.
User avatar Koronin

24 Jun 2018 17:21

So when would we hear about the selection of the team?
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

24 Jun 2018 19:01

Escarabajo wrote:So when would we hear about the selection of the team?

They said after the National Championships which aren't over until next weekend. (Italy's is next weekend). So it won't be until after that.
User avatar Koronin

24 Jun 2018 20:01

If we don't think Soler will be selected, my guess is it will be: Valv, Landa, Quin, Amador, Oliveira, Rojas, Benna and Erviti. Benna was super good in Suisse (he positioned Quintana at the absolute front before Arosa) and Erviti seems in very good shape as well. At least I think I would prefer those two over Sutterlin.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

24 Jun 2018 20:11

Valv.Piti wrote:If we don't think Soler will be selected, my guess is it will be: Valv, Landa, Quin, Amador, Oliveira, Rojas, Benna and Erviti. Benna was super good in Suisse (he positioned Quintana at the absolute front before Arosa) and Erviti seems in very good shape as well. At least I think I would prefer those two over Sutterlin.

I don't think Erviti was ever a question, I think he was going as soon as the list came out. I agree with you that Benna is very likely going. At this point I think the last spot is between Oliveira and Sutterlin. I think Oliveira is a slightly better climber giving him the edge for the team.
User avatar Koronin

24 Jun 2018 20:21

I would put the money on Oliveira because of the climbing and he is good time trialist.
Now I am not sure about Rojas. I would put Soler instead.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

24 Jun 2018 20:23

Escarabajo wrote:I would put the money on Oliveira because of the climbing and he is good Ti,e Trialist.
Now I am not sure about Rojas. I would put Soler instead.

I probably would take Soler over Rojas despite Soler not being 100% tbh, thats the most intriguing thing about the team. That would really mean we see quite a difference race is Soler is getting close to his best
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

24 Jun 2018 22:48

The Soler situation is a pretty clear example of what’s best for the rider versus what’s best for the team. I think most teams would take him as his dual climber / rouleur skill set is just so valuable in an 8 man squad (and even more so when three of the eight are there as leaders). But Movistar have been very careful with him so far and it has worked so maybe they have enough dedication to to their plan for his development to resist the temptation.

As an aside, it occurs to me that Soler is exactly the kind of rider Sky absolutely love. Given that they seem intent on hiring every super-domestique / secondary leader who is at home both climbing and on the flat in the whole peloton, I wonder how long it will be before they wave a big cheque at him.
Zinoviev Letter
Veteran

Re: Team Movistar-thread

24 Jun 2018 23:42

Have I missed someone or is this really the first time since 2006 (Garate) that another team won the national road race in spain?
skippo12

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing