Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

25 Jan 2017 19:21

Sad story about ex-rider Jose Ivan Gutierrez who got deeply depressed after his retirement. He would lie whole days just in his bed and he has tried to commit suicide 11(!) times.

http://www.abc.es/deportes/ciclismo/abci-ivan-gutierrez-movistar-suicidio-201701250943_noticia.html
Last edited by Moviestar on 25 Jan 2017 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Moviestar

25 Jan 2017 19:31

Wasn't he the one they called the Bufalo?
Never mind. Wrong name.

Sad news anyway!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

Re:

25 Jan 2017 19:34

Escarabajo wrote:Wasn't he the one they called the Bufalo?

If it is him that was Santiago Botero's old friend.

No, that's Enrique Gutierrez, ex rider from Phonak among others. This is Iván Gutierrez, former rider of Once, Illes Balears, Caisse Depargne....
zoolander

Re:

25 Jan 2017 19:45

GambadiLegno wrote:It's planned Ruta del Sol in Valverde's calendar, yes.

Good, i'm excited to see contador against valverde
portugal11

Re:

25 Jan 2017 21:06

Moviestar wrote:Sad story about ex-rider Jose Ivan Gutierrez who got deeply depressed after this retirement. He would lie whole days just in his bed and he has tried to commit suicide 11(!) times.

http://www.abc.es/deportes/ciclismo/abci-ivan-gutierrez-movistar-suicidio-201701250943_noticia.html

:( :( :(
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

25 Jan 2017 21:35

Also, for those interested, you can watch the whole team presentation on Movistar's facebook-page.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

27 Jan 2017 18:56

Moviestar wrote:Sad story about ex-rider Jose Ivan Gutierrez who got deeply depressed after his retirement. He would lie whole days just in his bed and he has tried to commit suicide 11(!) times.

Cycling news has a report in English on this as well now.

He was a very good rider and I am sad to hear about his struggles. Very brave of him to come out and admit this, hopefully that will help his recovery process. One of those taboos not speaking about mental health issues. It must be tremendously hard for riders coming to the end of their careers to move on without problems. Really good of Racing Santander to help him out. I hope that the future is good for him.
User avatar mariposa

29 Jan 2017 13:24

Movistar not so good in Mallorca races, except Valverde. I guess Unzue will have a word with them...
User avatar Mr.White

Re:

29 Jan 2017 21:00

Mr.White wrote:Movistar not so good in Mallorca races, except Valverde. I guess Unzue will have a word with them...

Yes, they have been pretty bad. But they have also given a lot of their younger guys the chance in these races.

Anyways, does anybody know if the likes of Carretero, Arcas, Bico and Pedrero has potential to anything more than decent domestiques at best? I honestly don't really know anything about them. Sütterlin, Carapaz and Soler seems a bit more promising.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

29 Jan 2017 22:27

Mr.White wrote:Movistar not so good in Mallorca races, except Valverde. I guess Unzue will have a word with them...

For most riders the first races of the season to get the legs rolling. Valverde is always good in Mallorca, cause he doesn't need much races to be in form due to his high basic level.
Moviestar

Re: Re:

30 Jan 2017 17:52

Moviestar wrote:

For most riders the first races of the season to get the legs rolling. Valverde is always good in Mallorca, cause he doesn't need much races to be in form due to his high basic level.

I am aware that these are the first races, but they were also first races for Lotto, yet they had crushed them. If Valverde had one decent helper in 3rd race, no way Wellens would escape like he did
User avatar Mr.White

30 Jan 2017 18:01

Moviestar wrote:

Or to put it simple, Valverde is always good in Mallorca because he is good in every race he enters, from start to end of the season.
''The battle between Démare and Bouhanni for being France's best sprinter is decided: it's Coquard.'' - BBB
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

30 Jan 2017 18:55

Mr.White wrote:
Moviestar wrote:

I am aware that these are the first races, but they were also first races for Lotto, yet they had crushed them. If Valverde had one decent helper in 3rd race, no way Wellens would escape like he did

This is certainly spot on. In the final parts of races Valverde usually lacks helpers and with the departure of Visconti and Ion Izagirre it won't become much easier.
Moviestar

30 Jan 2017 21:01

Valv.Piti wrote:

Yes, they have been pretty bad. But they have also given a lot of their younger guys the chance in these races.

Anyways, does anybody know if the likes of Carretero, Arcas, Bico and Pedrero has potential to anything more than decent domestiques at best? I honestly don't really know anything about them. Sütterlin, Carapaz and Soler seems a bit more promising.

Arcas and Pedrero are domestiques. They'll be the kind of helpers Unzué likes to have, but they were 23 and 24 before turning pro and weren't super spectacular espoirs. They could well become part of the fabric of the team if they do well in their roles, but they're being brought in as part of the team's tradition of people like Lastras, Txente García and Erviti than as future stars.

Héctor Carretero is turning pro at 21 and is I think more ready than they were last year. He's a very good rider, more of an all-rounder than the likes of Soler, he won the Vuelta a Palencia finish at the Santuário del Brezo and the Clásica de Torredonjimeno which includes a bunch of the climbs around the Sierra de la Pandera (Puerto del Castillo, Puerto Viejo, Puerto de Locubín, Alto de los Frailes), so he's solid for punchy and medium-mountain terrain. The fact that they've turned him pro ahead of Sergio Samitier and been willing to let Óscar Rodríguez walk to Euskadi-Murias tells you they have pretty solid hopes for him.

Bico is coming in from outside the feeders (Carapaz, Soler, Carretero, Arcas and Pedrero all came from the team's main feeder, Lizarte) so while he's a promising rider that those of us following the Portuguese péloton have had hopes for as one of those young talents who might be able to escape the insular, troubled scene, a lot will depend on how well he is able to adapt to Movistar. He may well be sacrificed to doing a lot of the northern Classics, as seems to be something of a rite of passage for young Abarcá riders, but we should judge based on where he is in a couple of years' time. Same for Carretero really; Unzué likes to bring people into the fold early then slowly develop them, Soler was quiet in his first year save for Avenir and a couple of breakaways in the Volta a Catalunya too, but is looking more and more promising as time goes by and he develops more.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re: Team Movistar-thread

31 Jan 2017 00:29

Wow! Libertine Seguros strikes again! Excellent analysis, as always. I like the way Movistar goes about building a team. Different sport, different times, that's how Jacquet built the French team for the '98 World Cup. Not by lining up the mega stars, but by defining roles, matching players to fit his vision, and developing them.

It's the Bellichick approach too, except that in American Football, there's only one goal: winning the Superbowl. Unzué is great at what he does, I understand not wanting to put all the eggs in one basket, but I think that Giro-Tour for Quintana may result in under-prepared-loss and too-tired-loss. We shall see...

Sorry to hear about Ivan Guttierez' passing :( .

EDIT: the point I'm trying to make is that one strong Movistar team for a GT is much better than two diluted teams for two GTs. Quintana can beat Froome. If he's 100%, with the best Movistar team, if he believes in his chances. Does he?
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

31 Jan 2017 02:57

Eh, JIG is not dead, or did I miss something in the last 4 days?
kingjr

31 Jan 2017 09:06

Mallorca has gone as Unzue's planned. He's that kind of director who likes to do it slowly, step by step. He'd not be happy if his riders were in top form there. It's a race used by them as a "training camp". They could have done better, yes, but that doesn't worry him at all. In his mind it's the Giro and Tour. Mallorca was a place to put on competition kms in neo and young guys legs, and to let Valverde do whatever he wants.
GambadiLegno

06 Mar 2017 16:47

Movistar for Tirreno-Adriatico:
Quintana, Amador, Bennati, Sütterlin, Castroviejo, Dowsett, Oliveira, Moreno

Very smart selection considering the team time trial, Nairo ain't gonna leave everyone in the dust like he did in Valencia. Then again, he did exactly that at Terminillo in 2015. Anyways, Im expecting a top-3 in the opening TTT with this team which should be enough to win overall.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

06 Mar 2017 18:12

Valv.Piti wrote:Movistar for Tirreno-Adriatico:

Very smart selection considering the team time trial, Nairo ain't gonna leave everyone in the dust like he did in Valencia. Then again, he did exactly that at Terminillo in 2015. Anyways, Im expecting a top-3 in the opening TTT with this team which should be enough to win overall.

That is a strong bunch of Time Trialer's.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

06 Mar 2017 22:09

Escarabajo wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Movistar for Tirreno-Adriatico:

That is a strong bunch of Time Trialer's.

Very. BMC really should win or else I know nothing about cycling, but Movistar also have a very potent team in that department. Not picking Malori unfortunately tells me he still have ways to go, he will have a difficult season. Also, I've never been a fan of Dani Moreno (too many times he didn't devote himself to Purito) and I have yet to see him do something meaningful for Movistar apart from the stage to Aubisque.
User avatar Valv.Piti

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing