Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

01 May 2017 13:12

Compo OFF Giro

Nairo Quintana, Andrey Amador, Winner Anacona, Daniele Bennati, Víctor de la Parte, José Herrada, Gorka Izagirre, José Joaquín Rojas y Rory Sutherland

Major blow for Dowsett who was poised to get a Giro spot.

Very nice team. Bennati and Sutherland are great for the flat stages with their huge load of experience, Rojas and Jose Herrada are always reliable, De La Parte has proven that the is very utile for a leader in races like Catalogne and Paris Nice, Gorka and Anacona to support Nairo in the high mountains, with Amador as lieutenant for Nairo.
Moviestar

Re: Team Movistar-thread

01 May 2017 13:16

I hope that means Dowsett is going to the TDF then?

He showed at Romandie he's going really well so I can't see him missing out on both the Giro & TDF line up.

Otherwise pretty good team for Quintana.
deValtos

01 May 2017 13:18

Dowsett has no business at the TdF. They have better workers who can fill the same role overall.
Beech Mtn

Re:

01 May 2017 13:19

Beech Mtn wrote:Dowsett has no business at the TdF. They have better workers who can fill the same role overall.

Agree.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

01 May 2017 13:22

Beech Mtn wrote:Dowsett has no business at the TdF. They have better workers who can fill the same role overall.

Do they though?

It was a recurring theme that Quintana was isolated on flat stages in the TDF. They'd always cut to a shot of Quintana stuck in an echelon with not a single Movistar to be seen.
deValtos

Re: Re:

01 May 2017 13:25

deValtos wrote:

Do they though?

It was a recurring theme that Quintana was isolated on flat stages in the TDF. They'd always cut to a shot of Quintana stuck in an echelon with not a single Movistar to be seen.

Thing is Dowsett is pretty thrash at that stuff. He is a super motor and is in good shape (thats why it surprised me he isn't selected) and the positioning, echelon riding etc. doesn't mean that much in the Giro compared to TdF. But, with Erviti regressing a bit and with Rojas, Sutherland and Bennati present in italy, it could open up some space, altho I hope Benna will ride both.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

01 May 2017 13:30

Why is Rojas riding Giro? he is Valverde's buddy.
Asero831

01 May 2017 13:35

To be fair I wouldn't argue that Dowsett is amazing at positioning or echelon riding or anything like that but IIRC when he was selected in 2015 it was him and Malori that saved Quintana from losing another 2 minutes in the netherlands. For the Giro I do agree that Rojas and Bennati will be fine for placement in the bunch and Sutherland is probably the best choice for the "ride 100km on the front of the pack" role.

I'm just saying I'd be disappointed if he missed out on both the Giro and the TDF again this year because I think he has shown he is capable of riding at a top level. I think he has a good chance of being in the TDF.
deValtos

01 May 2017 13:57

Dowsett crashed in that Tour, got a cut on his arm, got stitches, and it continued bleeding for several days afterward. He kept riding for something like a week, but finally had to pull out of the race to get the wound dealt with properly. You can't afford to lose a guy from the TdF because of a cut on his arm.

Fortunately in the last year or two we've had less of the usual TdF giant crash in the first stages of the race. But it's still a big chance to take to have a higher than usual probability of being a man down for something as long as a GT. Dowsett hasn't ridden a GT since. They've given him other things to do, like the Hour Record, and he has of course ridden the shorter stage races.
Last edited by Beech Mtn on 01 May 2017 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
Beech Mtn

01 May 2017 13:58

Kinda suprised by the fact that they aren't saving Bennati for the Tour where you really need a strong rider like him who has a ton of experience when it comes to crosswinds.
User avatar Mayomaniac

Re: Team Movistar-thread

01 May 2017 14:05

deValtos wrote:I hope that means Dowsett is going to the TDF then?

He showed at Romandie he's going really well so I can't see him missing out on both the Giro & TDF line up.

Otherwise pretty good team for Quintana.

A bit exaggerated. His prologue was fine, but his performance in the timetrial, his speciality (!) was really disappointing. Wouldn't suprise me if that performance was a decisive factor for the non-selection of Dowsett.
Moviestar

01 May 2017 14:20

I thought he had a good showing when he held of the peloton on stage (I think 3 or 4)?

Looked pretty strong.

Also that final TT was very hilly, just check the results of who did well. You don't bring Dowsett to a GT for that kind of stuff anyways.

Oh well, I just like the guy. Hopefully he gets a good calendar. Last years was a bit meh and I'd suggest him to move team at some point if he keeps getting snubbed for the big races.
deValtos

01 May 2017 14:23

So speculating on the TdF team after the selection:

Quintana
Valverde
Fernandez
Castro
Moreno
Erviti
Olivera
Jesus Herrada
and.... Dowsett/Bennati/Rojas/Sutherland/Amador. Maybe Soler.
Last edited by Valv.Piti on 01 May 2017 14:23, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

01 May 2017 14:23

Mayomaniac wrote:Kinda suprised by the fact that they aren't saving Bennati for the Tour where you really need a strong rider like him who has a ton of experience when it comes to crosswinds.

Ditto. He's kind of wasted at the Giro, where crosswinds are not all that usual. Maybe they think that crosswinds could play a bigger than usual role this year with the early stages in Sardinia and Sicily. Movistar might also be planning to have him abandon before the last week, thus keeping him fresh for the Tour.
AlexNYC

01 May 2017 15:09

AlexNYC wrote:
Mayomaniac wrote:Kinda suprised by the fact that they aren't saving Bennati for the Tour where you really need a strong rider like him who has a ton of experience when it comes to crosswinds.

Ditto. He's kind of wasted at the Giro, where crosswinds are not all that usual. Maybe they think that crosswinds could play a bigger than usual role this year with the early stages in Sardinia and Sicily. Movistar might also be planning to have him abandon before the last week, thus keeping him fresh for the Tour.

He is a very experienced rider, who knows the Italian roads very well. His job will be mainly to keep Nairo safe at the front (like he did years for Contador), Nairo couldn't have asked for a better rider.
Moviestar

01 May 2017 15:17

Moviestar wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:

He is a very experienced rider, who knows the Italian roads very well. His job will be mainly to keep Nairo safe at the front (like he did years for Contador), Nairo couldn't have asked for a better rider.

I think you missed my point entirely. He is very valuable, no doubt, but he would be even more valuable in the Tour since his skills would presumably be more in demand there.
AlexNYC

01 May 2017 15:19

Honestly Benna could easily double Giro-Tour
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re:

01 May 2017 15:20

Valv.Piti wrote:So speculating on the TdF team after the selection:

Quintana
Valverde
Fernandez
Castro
Moreno
Erviti
Olivera
Jesus Herrada

Sütterlin.
Has developed into a strong rouleur, not selected for the Giro and with the german depart I would consider him to be a safe spot. Was wondering if he would go to the Giro or if Movistar would have enough confidence for him to go to the TDF. Really hope he will be selected.
WKA311

01 May 2017 16:12

Expect Dowsett will be at a new team in 2018 - He will be a valuable addition if he forgets about the track and world hour records - Sutherland will ride the Vuelta.
yaco

05 May 2017 18:35

WKA311 wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:So speculating on the TdF team after the selection:

Quintana
Valverde
Fernandez
Castro
Moreno
Erviti
Olivera
Jesus Herrada

Sütterlin.
Has developed into a strong rouleur, not selected for the Giro and with the german depart I would consider him to be a safe spot. Was wondering if he would go to the Giro or if Movistar would have enough confidence for him to go to the TDF. Really hope he will be selected.

Maybe, but the rouleur spots are very crowded, for the TdF Erviti, Sutterlin, Oliveira, Dowsett and Bennati are in play. And Jesus Herrada and Castro can also be considered rouleurs.

Stoneface spoke very highly of Dowsett and said he expected him to be at the Tour. That would complicate things even further for Sutterlin (as much as I like him, he has done a very good job in the races he has raced IMO).
User avatar Valv.Piti

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing