Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

07 May 2017 16:36

Quintana is really limited in these windy stages. He was very well positioned but still wasn't able to stay with the front group. He only can limit losses by staying in the largest group and hoping that peloton don't brake in pieces (a little bit like lyon 2013)
portugal11

Re:

07 May 2017 17:15

portugal11 wrote:Quintana is really limited in these windy stages. He was very well positioned but still wasn't able to stay with the front group. He only can limit losses by staying in the largest group and hoping that peloton don't brake in pieces (a little bit like lyon 2013)

Ehm... thats really stating the obvious. He should always only be looking to defend himself in these situations.
Quintana is, I'd say, very good in crosswinds compared to his stature.

Very good 3 opening days, very easy riding on all of them apart from the finales obviously. Not really harder than your casual training ride for Quintana.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

07 May 2017 17:21

True, but this gets to show that if Quintana is not on his game at the Tour, Trek, BMC and Sky will wreak havoc in crosswind stages.
SeriousSam wrote: Peña Cabarga is like Froome's Mount Doom, the place where his great power was forged into fearsome weapon. He was never going to lose here
User avatar silvergrenade

07 May 2017 19:37

A bit of a lost opportunity, although not that important really, for Quintana here. Bennati was right there when the split happened and Quintana was right behind him. Bennati did his best to bring Quintana with him to the first group, but Nairo lost his wheel. That part of the race was very exciting to watch.

It's not a big deal, but there's no question that this is a vulnerability that has already cost Nairo. There really isn't much he can or should do about it either.
AlexNYC

Re:

07 May 2017 20:30

portugal11 wrote:Quintana is really limited in these windy stages. He was very well positioned but still wasn't able to stay with the front group. He only can limit losses by staying in the largest group and hoping that peloton don't brake in pieces (a little bit like lyon 2013)

Of course he is. He is a tiny climber!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

07 May 2017 22:30

Once they get to the mountains, Nairo will be the one who will do the echelons. We will see how many of the QuickSteps will be with him.
Fernandez

08 May 2017 23:15

Makes me concerned about how much time he will lose in the flat TTs.
spiritualride

Re:

09 May 2017 18:33

spiritualride wrote:Makes me concerned about how much time he will lose in the flat TTs.

It will certainly be interesting..

Realistically, I think he will lose about 2.30 to Dumoulin's of the world. I think Jungels will do extremely well as well. The rest of the GT-contenders - Nibali, Pinot, Thomas, Zakarin, Kruijswijk etc. I don't think he will lose that much to, their TT is also pretty hit and miss. Maybe apart from Thibaut. The more time he loses tho, the better for the race.
"This is the Tour that will determine If I can drink espresso at the Garda lake the rest of my life"
User avatar Valv.Piti

14 May 2017 15:46

Great ride for Nairo today, especially Winner was amazing. He was wrecking the entire field all the way up to Zakarin.
User avatar DNP-Old

14 May 2017 17:21

Sergio Samitier (Lizarte) has won the amateur stagerace Vuelta Bidasoa. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets the chance with Movistar next year. He reminds me of a young Valverde with a good jump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSsMqvCp2JM

Some previous winners of the race

1992 Olano
1994 Rubiera
1996 U. Osa
1997 Sastre
2000 Gil
2001 Herrero
2008 Amador
2011 Shalunov
2012 Rybalkin
2015 Calderon 2 Mas 3 Roson
Moviestar

14 May 2017 17:27

I fully expect him to graduate to the main team this year. I think he's more of a pure climber than Valverde, more in common with J-Rod, but he has good punch. Very good talent, and I did think they might have already promoted him, that shows you how highly they clearly rate Carretero although they may have felt that, since they were also promoting Carapaz, they might need a more all-round rider rather than another pure climber out of the feeder.

Assume you meant to link to stage 1 to IrrisarriLand rather than stage 2 over Jaizkibel?
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

14 May 2017 17:57

I have been disappointed by Anacona recently, but today was his best performance in a Movistar-kit (maybe along with his Alpe d' Huez-stage in 2015). Finally showing form again! Completely blew the race apart, it reminded of the Rubiera, Beltran, Azavedo and even Heras' of the world today.
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

14 May 2017 19:24

Valv.Piti wrote:I have been disappointed by Anacona recently, but today was his best performance in a Movistar-kit (maybe along with his Alpe d' Huez-stage in 2015). Finally showing form again! Completely blew the race apart, it reminded of the Rubiera, Beltran, Azavedo and even Heras' of the world today.

It was very fitting that the last two men from Movistar setting the pace before the fireworks started were Victor and Winner
ice&fire

Re: Re:

14 May 2017 19:26

ice&fire wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I have been disappointed by Anacona recently, but today was his best performance in a Movistar-kit (maybe along with his Alpe d' Huez-stage in 2015). Finally showing form again! Completely blew the race apart, it reminded of the Rubiera, Beltran, Azavedo and even Heras' of the world today.

It was very fitting that the last two men from Movistar setting the pace before the fireworks started were Victor and Winner

Nice ;)
kingjr

14 May 2017 19:39

Yeah, nice one.
User avatar Valv.Piti

14 May 2017 23:29

Carapaz to get the first win on La Camperona?
User avatar Valv.Piti

Re:

15 May 2017 13:06

Libertine Seguros wrote:I fully expect him to graduate to the main team this year. I think he's more of a pure climber than Valverde, more in common with J-Rod, but he has good punch. Very good talent, and I did think they might have already promoted him, that shows you how highly they clearly rate Carretero although they may have felt that, since they were also promoting Carapaz, they might need a more all-round rider rather than another pure climber out of the feeder.

Assume you meant to link to stage 1 to IrrisarriLand rather than stage 2 over Jaizkibel?

Yes i also saw the first stage but i was more impressed with his uphill jump ( around 8.30). Do you know more about the young rider from Belarus, Zhigunov? He seems to have capacities as a sprinter, would be nice to see a pure sprinter with Movistar in a few years.
Moviestar

15 May 2017 18:03

Zhyhunou (Belarusian spelling of his name, same as with Siutsou/Sivtsov and so on) has a fast finish but I wouldn't say he's a pure sprinter. While his best results since moving to Spain have been in flatter races, races like the Zumaiako Saria are still far from truly flat. He was 2nd in the national RR at the age of 18 in 2015, beaten by Krasilnikau in a two-up sprint after escaping a four man break on a circuit with a couple of hills in it around Mozyr. Seems like a hardman type with a strong sprint rather than an out and out sprinter imo, although not so much as a hilly guy à la Lobato or Rojas that has been Movistar's typical sprint modus operandi. Might be good for him if he can get a promotion before Bennati retires.

Valv.Piti - would be nice to see, but he does have to watch out for Balarcón, and Antunes is back for W52 too.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re: Team Movistar-thread

16 May 2017 15:58

Quintana need's to gain at least 5minutes in the next 10 stages as in the last TT Dumoulin will surely take another 2:30..

Movistar need to be careful now to not puncture or crash. As I'd bet my life that Sky, Orica and Sunweb would suddenly drill it on the front..
It'll also surely not be forgotten for the Tour. Karma could well come back to hurt them!
User avatar Oliwright

18 May 2017 20:13

Visconti and his (bad) memories at Movistar...

http://www.marca.com/blogs/llamaradas/2017/05/18/los-malos-recuerdos-de-visconti-en-el.html

Guess we've got the answer why Nibali doesn't like Nairo
Moviestar

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing