Log in:  

Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

04 Jan 2018 23:18

Koronin wrote:They have announced their line up for the Tour Down Under: Fernandez, Barbero, Soler, Oliveira, Bico, Sütterlin, Castrillo. I'm guessing Barbero for the sprints and Fernandez and Soler for GC. Castrillo is going to get to go to a race right away.

Yeah thats not too bad. Sutterlin can also mix it up, but neither of them can really do well in the flat sprints at this level. I think Fernandez will go well early, he has something to prove right now after last year. I don't really expect anything from Soler, he should go more calm about things at the moment. I reckon he would like to do well in Catalunya tho, so maybe he is already thinking about that. Still looking forward to which GT he will race.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,143
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

04 Jan 2018 23:32

Valv.Piti wrote:
Koronin wrote:They have announced their line up for the Tour Down Under: Fernandez, Barbero, Soler, Oliveira, Bico, Sütterlin, Castrillo. I'm guessing Barbero for the sprints and Fernandez and Soler for GC. Castrillo is going to get to go to a race right away.

Yeah thats not too bad. Sutterlin can also mix it up, but neither of them can really do well in the flat sprints at this level. I think Fernandez will go well early, he has something to prove right now after last year. I don't really expect anything from Soler, he should go more calm about things at the moment. I reckon he would like to do well in Catalunya tho, so maybe he is already thinking about that. Still looking forward to which GT he will race.



Agree with you. Their sprinters really can't compete with the top sprinters on flat sprints, but they'll give it a shot. It should be Fernandez for GC. He definitely has something to prove after last year. Good point that Soler may be building towards Catalunya and this is probably a good test for him to see where he's at. It looks like a solid team they are sending. At this point with GTs and Soler if it was me, I'd send him to the Giro and if he recovers well then to la Vuelta. I don't think he's ready to be part of the Tour team yet.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,078
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

04 Jan 2018 23:38

Yeah and on top of that those climbs really aren't his cup of tea But maybe he will do well, but Fernandez has a good track record here so he will probably be the man until proven otherwise.

I have no clue to what I hope will be Soler's programme this year actually. It could all work, but if the 3 leaders are going to the Tour, I doubt he will be in there. A dual leadership with Amador in the Giro would be fine, if they then don't want a fresh Amador in the Tour for his versatility on cobbles, climbs and time trials.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,143
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

04 Jan 2018 23:43

Fernandez said (I think it was on twitter) that he was going to the TDU about a week or two ago and had been told he was going to be race leader. I expect that to be correct. Maybe send Soler to both learn and to be the back up just in case Fernandez has any issues.
Yeah, they could send Soler as co leader to the Giro with Amador. I'd be surprised if Amador isn't at the Giro. He seems to really like that race.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,078
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

05 Jan 2018 00:23

Amador already confirmed (a couple of weeks ago) that he'll ride the Giro but in that interview said that he'll go as support for one leader.
He also said that he'll lead the team at Strade Bianche and Ronde.
Nirvana
Member
 
Posts: 890
Joined: 28 Jul 2015 18:17
Location: Florence

05 Jan 2018 01:42

JJ Rojas enjoying the heat down here...
https://twitter.com/DoCiclismo/status/948834014634356736
User avatar Jungle Cycle
Member
 
Posts: 651
Joined: 03 Apr 2016 17:00

Re:

05 Jan 2018 12:18

Nirvana wrote:Amador already confirmed (a couple of weeks ago) that he'll ride the Giro but in that interview said that he'll go as support for one leader.
He also said that he'll lead the team at Strade Bianche and Ronde.


No Valverde in Strade Bianche? He is not riding PN or TA so he should be in SB
Asero831
Member
 
Posts: 718
Joined: 26 Jan 2014 11:22

Re: Re:

05 Jan 2018 21:21

Asero831 wrote:
Nirvana wrote:Amador already confirmed (a couple of weeks ago) that he'll ride the Giro but in that interview said that he'll go as support for one leader.
He also said that he'll lead the team at Strade Bianche and Ronde.


No Valverde in Strade Bianche? He is not riding PN or TA so he should be in SB


He may very well end up at Strade Bianche. Even when he has his spring calendar filled out it doesn't mean much as he changes things last minute anyway. So it's very possible he goes to Strade Bianche. Two years ago he wasn't supposed to race Andalucia (Laboto was race leader for that race) about a week before the race he added it to his calendar and went as co race leader to it.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,078
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

13 Jan 2018 22:56

From la Vuelta presentation it sounds like Movistar has confirmed that Valverde and Landa are going to La Vuelta. I think we already knew Valverde was going, but not as sure about Landa. They did not confirm Quintana, thus making it sound like it's possible Quintana is only doing the Tour this year as far as GTs go.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,078
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

14 Jan 2018 10:24

It's like the Giro doesn't exist in the eyes of MovieStar.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,320
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

Re:

14 Jan 2018 10:29

yaco wrote:It's like the Giro doesn't exist in the eyes of MovieStar.

In 3 out of the last 4 editions, they have either sent Quintana or Valverde and the year they didn't, Amador got 4th. That means 1st, 4th, 3rd and 2nd, in that order, the last four Giri.......
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,143
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

14 Jan 2018 13:40

Valv.Piti wrote:
yaco wrote:It's like the Giro doesn't exist in the eyes of MovieStar.

In 3 out of the last 4 editions, they have either sent Quintana or Valverde and the year they didn't, Amador got 4th. That means 1st, 4th, 3rd and 2nd, in that order, the last four Giri.......


And this year they have 3 genuine GC contenders and not one is riding the Giro.
yaco
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,320
Joined: 20 Jun 2015 17:57

14 Jan 2018 15:11

the cobbled stage will be crucial for movistar. They have 5 riders to protect 3 riders and some of them will be climbers domestiques. I smell chaos in that team
portugal11
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,963
Joined: 05 Aug 2015 23:15

Re:

14 Jan 2018 15:21

portugal11 wrote:the cobbled stage will be crucial for movistar. They have 5 riders to protect 3 riders and some of them will be climbers domestiques. I smell chaos in that team

I presume they will be all in to protect Quintana. Valverde should probably be able to handle himself. Which just leaves Landa - who could lose out big I fear.
User avatar DFA123
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,219
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

Re:

14 Jan 2018 19:41

portugal11 wrote:the cobbled stage will be crucial for movistar. They have 5 riders to protect 3 riders and some of them will be climbers domestiques. I smell chaos in that team


Valverde can handle himself well on the cobbles. He's done it before. He's even raced some of the cobbled semi classics in the past and keep promising he's going to race Flanders eventually (although again unlikely this year due to two other races he's planning on races). Heck last year even said he might try Paris-Roubiax at some point. So I don't expect the team is worried about him on the cobbles. That then leaves really 2 domestiques to protect Landa and Quintana. I'm guessing they bring 3 mountain domestiques with them. For those two I'd actually guess they'll be the team's two time trialists Suttlerin and Oliveria. Also remember this is a team that doesn't typically do well in the cobbled races as it is so they really don't have many riders on the entire team even capable of protecting anyone over the cobbles to begin with.

As for the Giro, if they don't send any of their top GC riders, then they will likely send Amador as race leader and most likely Betancur along with a group of youngsters with a bunch of potential. WIthout sending one of their top GC riders I expect they send Soler to get his 2nd GT under his belt before needing him very likely in la Vuelta to actual have a good idea what he's doing in a Grand Tour.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,078
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

14 Jan 2018 19:50

Erviti is a 100% at the Tour imo. And he's their best rouleur by a mile.
User avatar Blanco
Member
 
Posts: 1,189
Joined: 06 Jun 2017 19:33
Location: Serbia

Re:

14 Jan 2018 19:51

Koronin wrote:From la Vuelta presentation it sounds like Movistar has confirmed that Valverde and Landa are going to La Vuelta. I think we already knew Valverde was going, but not as sure about Landa. They did not confirm Quintana, thus making it sound like it's possible Quintana is only doing the Tour this year as far as GTs go.

Actually i like this duo a lot. Route is taylored for Valverde and Landa is one of the few riders in peloton who can open up the GC game in a slightly boring route and be distractor, riding in a free role for himself. Either way its the best combo for Movistar and Quintana is definitely odd man out here.
repre
Junior Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 31 Dec 2017 05:28
Location: Kiev, Ukraine

Re:

14 Jan 2018 19:54

portugal11 wrote:the cobbled stage will be crucial for movistar. They have 5 riders to protect 3 riders and some of them will be climbers domestiques. I smell chaos in that team

Valverde will help Quintana or Landa on that stage. I dont think he will ride TDF for GC, just for sponsor image, some stage win and ramping it up before Vuelta and WC.
repre
Junior Member
 
Posts: 111
Joined: 31 Dec 2017 05:28
Location: Kiev, Ukraine

14 Jan 2018 20:00

Yes, Amador + Betancur (if he's in shape) and the young guys(Soler, Carapaz, maybe Roson) would be an interesting Giro team.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,247
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

14 Jan 2018 20:03

Movistar has plenty of promising young riders to send to the Giro. They have a good chance to have a good showing. They will be well represented.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,175
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: archa55, Armchair cyclist, Bronstein, dacooley, DNP-Old, Flamin, muhammadhanis, Sestriere, struklknedl, tobydawq, WKA311 and 86 guests

Back to top