Register

Team Movistar-thread

A place to discuss all things related to current professional road races. Here, you can also touch on the latest news relating to professional road racing. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Team Movistar-thread

25 Jun 2018 02:33

skippo12 wrote:Have I missed someone or is this really the first time since 2006 (Garate) that another team won the national road race in spain?

Everything I've read is saying since 2010.
User avatar Koronin

25 Jun 2018 02:40

Plaza won in 2009 riding for Liberty Seguros, he went to Caisse d'Epargne only the following winter.
http://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=1199&y=2009
Nirvana

Re:

25 Jun 2018 06:49

Escarabajo wrote:I would put the money on Oliveira because of the climbing and he is good time trialist.
Now I am not sure about Rojas. I would put Soler instead.

Although Soler is much better rider already, I think we all underestimate how valuable rider Rojas is, as a domestique particularly. He can ride on pretty much every terrain, he's good uphill, downhill, on the flat, you name it... and he rarely disappoints ( if ever), he's always in good condition and rides his heart out for his leader(s), especially for Valverde.
Soler in top shape is no doubt a better rider, but I think his shape is questionable, and if that's the case I would pick Rojas over him any day of the week.
User avatar Blanco

25 Jun 2018 07:44

skippo12 wrote:Have I missed someone or is this really the first time since 2006 (Garate) that another team won the national road race in spain?

Small note, Garate won in 2005. In 2006 there was no race, the riders were striking against the Puerto investigation
User avatar GuyIncognito

25 Jun 2018 14:24

Andrey Amador
Daniele Bennati
Imanol Erviti
Jose Joaquin Rojas
Marc Soler
Mikel Landa
Nairo Quintana
Alejandro Valverde
Breh

25 Jun 2018 15:30

Nirvana wrote:Plaza won in 2009 riding for Liberty Seguros, he went to Caisse d'Epargne only the following winter.
http://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=1199&y=2009

Thanks for the info...went through the list of spanish road race champions and thought he was with Caisse D`Epargne.
Plaza spent one season with Benfica Lissabon. You learn something new every day. Never knew they had a pro cycling team.
skippo12

Re:

25 Jun 2018 15:51

Breh wrote:Andrey Amador
Daniele Bennati
Imanol Erviti
Jose Joaquin Rojas
Marc Soler
Mikel Landa
Nairo Quintana
Alejandro Valverde

I guess Unzue is not worried about the TTT, which is a little strange to say the least.
User avatar AlexNYC

Re: Re:

25 Jun 2018 16:52

AlexNYC wrote:
Daniele Bennati
Imanol Erviti
Jose Joaquin Rojas
Marc Soler
Mikel Landa
Nairo Quintana
Alejandro Valverde

I guess Unzue is not worried about the TTT, which is a little strange to say the least.

Hope they don't shift too much time in the TTT - That team is carrying three or four riders for the TTT.
yaco

25 Jun 2018 19:33

yaco wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:
Daniele Bennati
Imanol Erviti
Jose Joaquin Rojas
Marc Soler
Mikel Landa
Nairo Quintana
Alejandro Valverde

Hope they don't shift too much time in the TTT - That team is carrying three or four riders for the TTT.

Other than Landa and Quintana, who?
User avatar Blanco

25 Jun 2018 19:50

Blanco wrote:
yaco wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:
Daniele Bennati
Imanol Erviti
Jose Joaquin Rojas
Marc Soler
Mikel Landa
Nairo Quintana
Alejandro Valverde

Reckon you need three or even four big engines to do a good TTT, 2 riders who are decent and two are carried - Amador has a big engine, while Valverde and Soler are decent while the rest are meh - Keep within a minute of the Sky/BMC and they've done well.
yaco

25 Jun 2018 20:31

yaco wrote:
Blanco wrote:
yaco wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:
Daniele Bennati
Imanol Erviti
Jose Joaquin Rojas
Marc Soler
Mikel Landa
Nairo Quintana
Alejandro Valverde

Reckon you need three or even four big engines to do a good TTT, 2 riders who are decent and two are carried - Amador has a big engine, while Valverde and Soler are decent while the rest are meh - Keep within a minute of the Sky/BMC and they've done well.

Sprinters are really underrated in TTT...but both JJR and Bennati are past their prime and probably aren`t even considered sprinters these days.
skippo12

25 Jun 2018 21:29

skippo12 wrote:
yaco wrote:
yaco wrote:
AlexNYC wrote:
Daniele Bennati
Imanol Erviti
Jose Joaquin Rojas
Marc Soler
Mikel Landa
Nairo Quintana
Alejandro Valverde

Sprinters are really underrated in TTT...but both JJR and Bennati are past their prime and probably aren`t even considered sprinters these days.[/quote]

Rojas doesn't even like for anyone to call him a sprinter anymore. He also seems happier to give a leadout to Valverde for a sprint than try to contest on himself at this point in his career.

I'm not liking this team for the TTT. Amador, Valverde, and Soler are by far the best riders on this team for a time trial and that is asking a lot of those three. Plus do we even know how Valverde is doing mentally with time trials as it was a time trial crash at the Tour last summer that almost ended his career. He's raced 2 ITTs (Abu Dhabi and Spanish Nationals) and 1 TTT (Valencia that didn't really count) this year.
Truthfully I think Bennati is included for the cobbled stage and he and Valverde are probably their best cobbled riders. Erviti isn't too bad with the cobbles either. This team could definitely lose a minute-ish to Sky and BMC in the TTT. Valverde is the only one of the 3 GC guys who might be able to claw some of that time back on the cobbled stage.
User avatar Koronin

25 Jun 2018 21:41

Movistar? Won't see them until week 2 (Ok, Valverde might get bored and strech his legs on a couple of stages but otherwise, why bother?)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

26 Jun 2018 01:09

I wasn't expecting Amador but it makes sense. He is good in TT and good in mountains. With Soler and Amador they have good domestiques in the mountains. With Rojas they have a decent climber for the lower slopes. Now I don't buy that only Valverde, Amador and Soler are the only good time trialists. Riders like Bena and Erviti can be very valuable as well. This is a TTT and not individual TT. Some of these big guys that don't figure out in the regular TT can be very strong in the TTT when required. Rojas can help also as well. Landa and Quintana if fit they can defend themselves. My 2 cents.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

28 Jun 2018 17:52

Interview with Valverde:

http://www.revistamundociclistico.com/ruta/25722-el-tour-este-ano-sera-mas-abierto-porque-froome-no-fue-en-el-giro-tan-superior-como-otras-veces-alejandro-valverde.html

Quiero hacerlo bien. Desempeñando mi papel de trabajar para Nairo y Mikel o si la carrera se da y tengo que afrontar la responsabilidad de estar delante, cumplir con ello. Creo que mi condición física es adecuada para estar adelante".

"I want to do it right. My job is to work for Nairo and Mikel or if the race gives me the opportunity to be in front, I'll take the responsability. My condition is good to be in front.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran

28 Jun 2018 19:12

He always says the right things. He also again says in that interview that his big goals are the the Vuelta and Worlds. It goes with things he's said before about the Tour not being one of his goals. However, just because of who he is he'll be a protected rider throughout the race. They won't expect him to do the job of a domestique. Also another interesting note, someone (on another discussion board) said that in an interview Alex Dowsett said that Alejandro doesn't have an ego. (Would love to find that interview from Alex).
User avatar Koronin

Re:

28 Jun 2018 19:24

Koronin wrote:He always says the right things. He also again says in that interview that his big goals are the the Vuelta and Worlds. It goes with things he's said before about the Tour not being one of his goals. However, just because of who he is he'll be a protected rider throughout the race. They won't expect him to do the job of a domestique. Also another interesting note, someone (on another discussion board) said that in an interview Alex Dowsett said that Alejandro doesn't have an ego. (Would love to find that interview from Alex).

Excellent excuse.
User avatar Bot. Sky_Bot

28 Jun 2018 20:34

Bot. Sky_Bot wrote:
Koronin wrote:He always says the right things. He also again says in that interview that his big goals are the the Vuelta and Worlds. It goes with things he's said before about the Tour not being one of his goals. However, just because of who he is he'll be a protected rider throughout the race. They won't expect him to do the job of a domestique. Also another interesting note, someone (on another discussion board) said that in an interview Alex Dowsett said that Alejandro doesn't have an ego. (Would love to find that interview from Alex).

Excellent excuse.

Well he's said from the beginning of the year that the Tour isn't one of his goals. However, he's also very good at talking down his chances.
User avatar Koronin

28 Jun 2018 20:35

I’ve learned to not put much weight on Valverde’s explanations of what his role will be at any given race where he’s not the designated leader. He always has a hidden agenda.
User avatar AlexNYC

Re:

30 Jun 2018 19:53

Escarabajo wrote:I wasn't expecting Amador but it makes sense. He is good in TT and good in mountains. With Soler and Amador they have good domestiques in the mountains. With Rojas they have a decent climber for the lower slopes. Now I don't buy that only Valverde, Amador and Soler are the only good time trialists. Riders like Bena and Erviti can be very valuable as well. This is a TTT and not individual TT. Some of these big guys that don't figure out in the regular TT can be very strong in the TTT when required. Rojas can help also as well. Landa and Quintana if fit they can defend themselves. My 2 cents.

You’re right here. A lot of posters are misunderstanding the difference between a TTT and a regular TT.

The effort required in a TTT is closer to a prologue or the run into a field sprint than a standard TT, which is why pursuiters and sprinters who can ride strong short to medium TTs are so valuable like Küng, Meyer, Matthews, Sagan and Kittel. They can raise the teams pace above what the pure time trialists can.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Professional road racing